Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

If you're wondering about the HKS SC

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 03:26 PM
DLin05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you're wondering about the HKS SC

Quite a few people have taken an interest in the HKS Rotrex kit these past few weeks. Many of these people have asked me questions. I've noticed that the same questions are asked, so I've decided to collectively try to answers these questions. If anyone else has the kit and feels the need to correct me, please do so as what I am writing is from my experiences and may not be true for all.

1)Performance
I believe HKS claims 80rwhp. Everyone I've heard of with the kit I believe has dynoed around 80 or more. Personally, the first time I dynoed (with the Mines test pipes, Crawford plenum, and no Technosquare tuning) 330rwhp and 326rwtq. This a 100+whp gain over my baseline(JWT pop charger+Crawford Plenum). Dynos can be found here. These numbers however, came at the expense of a very lean AFR due to the plenum and tp.

I then emailed Technosquare ECU concerning the AFR. This what said "If your car is 2003 model, we can definitely flash your car to
help with your A/F ratio." I sent them my ECU and 2 days later it was returned to me. A few days later, I found myself redynoing my car. The AFR was better, but is was still lean. Even worse, my car only put down 307rwhp and 313rwtq. Dynos will be posted later.

Even with all the AFR trouble, I feel that the HKS delivers enough power anyone looking 300-350rwhp. Throttle Response is crisp and boost is built quickly. I am very satisfied with what it's given me and will be even more so when I get the AFR settled.

2)Reliability
As some of you may have heard, the 'first batch' of HKS kits had some reliability issues(here and here) On the contrary, I have not had any problems yet with my kit except for the AFR(which is my fault).

3)Why did I go with the HKS?
To put it simply, I went with the name. Many of you will agree with me in saying 'you get what you pay for' and I have found this to be true in HKS. The kit is very complete for a stock Z. Even the technicians at Z1 Motorsports(where mine was installed) commented on the quality of the kit. I also thought that at my age anything over 350rwhp would be too much for me handle. I figured that the HKS would ease me in and if needed in the future I could upgrade later for more power.

4)Sound
With the hood closed, you can barely hear the SC at idle and low rpms. In my case, I can't hear it even at WOT because of my test pipes. Even the bypass valve is subtle, in my opinion, too subtle. The sound is SC itself is unquestionably cool. If you're unlike me and prefer to listen to music loudly, I don't think you'll be able to hear it even without test pipes.

5)What are my plans?
As my AFR is not where I want it to be, I have decided that I will go back to the stock plenum in order to richen the AFR after 5k rpm and retain a strut bar. After that I will redyno and see if TS can do anymore with my AFR. If not, then it looks like I will be getting the HKS F-Con V Pro or something of the sort. If you're wondering why I don't just get rid of the test pipes, which is the major cause of the lean afr, so am I. I think I
ve kept them on because my EGT sensors are alrady welded to them(or so I'm told).

6)Conclusion
If you think that an additional 80 rwhp will be sufficient for you, and you have a stock car; this is kit for you. However, if you plan on modding or if you know you're going to want more power, then I suggest waiting to see what HKS has planned for this kit or go with a TT with built motor. As for me Im going to try and tough it out through the AFR problems or wait until the NA aftermarket catches up.

Hope this helps. I've probably left something out so let me know if I have.

Dow
Old 01-08-2005, 03:39 PM
DLin05

my lastest dyno with TS flash compared to my previous w/o the TS flash. Notice the AFR.
Old 01-08-2005, 03:43 PM
DLin05

Pictures are here
Old 01-08-2005, 05:21 PM
JoneZZZ

Thanks for the review!!!!
Old 01-08-2005, 05:54 PM
shimz350z

great review
Old 01-09-2005, 08:09 AM
mr. haison

nice review. hope you get the a/f issue fixed. i want to see how it runs at 100%.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:02 PM
PumpedVA

yea well I did my kit today and here are my #. Now I do beleave I am loosing boost somewere. A/F was 13.1 at 350orpm and went lower after that. Hope to have this problem fixed soon. to then car is parked. We are thinking its my bypass valve leaking or belts stretched. but to be belts I had only had this kit on for 3 months if that.

My dyno today
HKSw/nismo cat-back: 267.6rwhp@5000rpm/284.4-ft@6300rpm

Last edited by PumpedVA; 01-09-2005 at 08:06 PM.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:07 PM
arlingtonz

how did i know you were going to find this post Toby...I am still stunned...hope everything works out, I want to see that car when it comes back up here. I do love that HKS sound.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:21 PM
PumpedVA

Originally posted by arlingtonz
how did i know you were going to find this post Toby...I am still stunned...hope everything works out, I want to see that car when it comes back up here. I do love that HKS sound.

LOL I went hunting
Old 01-09-2005, 09:04 PM
damen

just don't drive the car through HKS's front doors. hehehehe
Old 01-09-2005, 09:12 PM
DLin05

Pumped, it's funny that you mention boost leak. I think I might have the same problem. I dont know what else could've cause the 20whp loss. and Z1 did mention it was a possibility while I was there. Curious.

On top of that, one of my EGT's went berserk the other day. It would jump up to 20 then bounce between there and 18 then match my other EGT then bounce back up again. It kept doing so after the car was shut off. It didn't do that today though....any ideas?
Old 01-10-2005, 01:50 AM
MR RIZK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the belt has stretched then the belt should squeal under load. If you had a boost leak then your boost gauge should tell you this.

To find an air leak take it to a shop where they can pressurise the system with smoke and that should tell you if you have a leak somewhere. ie: IC pipes
Old 01-10-2005, 04:40 AM
PumpedVA

Originally posted by MR RIZK
If the belt has stretched then the belt should squeal under load. If you had a boost leak then your boost gauge should tell you this.

To find an air leak take it to a shop where they can pressurise the system with smoke and that should tell you if you have a leak somewhere. ie: IC pipes

I am getting some extra "squeal" now that I think about it,. just seems the kit was louder the last few weeks. As for my boost guage. they did say it would climb slow then back off and start bouncing so to speak.

That ok thought I am taking care of this problem and adding some more power in the processs this week.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:38 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Just a comment, if the EGT sensor is on the test pipe it is not doing you much good, it is supposed to be within 2 inches from the block to get an accurate temp reading, if you have wideband 02 sensors those would be good on the test pipes.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:12 PM
ZRspeed

ive had my hks on for about three weeks now and ive had no problems at all....at idle the car sounds stock and when your pushing it the car sounds amazing....im taking my car in tommorrow for a little check to make sure everything is cool....i couldnt be more satisfied with this kit though, everything i expected and more
Old 01-10-2005, 02:33 PM
DLin05

Westpak,
Should I go back to my shop and have them move my EGT sensors? Its that possible or is it too late? If I do get my sensors moved, I might as well replace the cats with my stockers since they're the main cause of the lean afr. However, I did notice that after I got the tp's I dont scrape bumps anymore.

Any Idea on the spastic EGT?
Old 01-10-2005, 09:42 PM
xziteme

ZRspeed - who did your install? Have you got it dyno'd?
Old 01-11-2005, 10:07 AM
ZRspeed

xziteme.....two master techs at my familys toyota dealership did the install....no, i havent got it dyno'd yet but i plan on doin it as soon as it stops raining over here...
Old 01-11-2005, 08:15 PM
xziteme

Your family owns a Toyota dealership and you drive a Nissan? You go ZRspeed!
Old 01-12-2005, 05:33 PM
ZRspeed

haha....theres nothing that toyota makes right now that i can get down with....i like the trucks though...and the tc isnt to shabby either....just love that gorgeous z

Quick Reply: If you're wondering about the HKS SC