Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Update on changing the base model headlight bulbs to Silverstars......

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 01:26 PM
VeeTec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update on changing the base model headlight bulbs to Silverstars......

I finally got around to changing the the stock headlight bulbs to Silverstars, as I can't get the HID yet.

The change was fairly easy. I drove to my friends shop first though, as it was pretty cold outside.

Using a floor jack and air tool, it took around 30-40 minutes to complete the job. First you remove the wheel, which I did one side at a time, then all you do is remove the front part of each fenderwell, which unscrews and pops out easily, and the bulb access is right there. I also suggest using a bright shop light if you are doing this inside, so you can shine it up into the wheel well.

I would recommend getting some PIAA super white side marker lights as well, so the whiteness matches up, or you'll end up with a yellow looking side marker, with a very white looking headlight.

I changed those out as well.

The difference was immediately noticable, as the SS's look very white compared to the stock bulbs, which had a dimmer yellow appearance.

I haven't seen them at night yet, but I will post a pic later so that you can see what they look like, once its dark.

They are not HID's, but they are much better, and whiter, than the stock bulbs, and I only paid $31 for the pair, and $9 for the sidemarkers from PIAA.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:34 PM
VeeTec

Here are some low resolution pics of the Silverstars with the PIAA Super White sidemarkers.

Old 12-15-2004, 05:36 PM
VeeTec

Last edited by VeeTec; 12-15-2004 at 05:40 PM.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:39 PM
VeeTec

Here is a pic of the light at the edge of the projectors light spectrum, where you get a flash of blue, heightened by the SS's.

Old 12-15-2004, 05:41 PM
VeeTec

P.S. My car is really dirty, because its been too cold to wash it.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:23 PM
cosmec

looking good! does it give off a kind of HID look?
Old 12-15-2004, 08:21 PM
VeeTec

Originally posted by cosmec
looking good! does it give off a kind of HID look?
Not really imo, just VERY white with the blue tint on the edge of the projectors beam.

The bulbs are 4000K, which is a little below the HID's bluish appearance. But you won't see yellow, thats for sure, and they light the road much much better.

The stock bulbs looked yellow and dimmer compared to the brighter, white, Silverstars.

If you have a base model, and don't want, or can't, get the HID's yet, they are the best replacement, imo.

These bulbs do the job, and light the road MUCH better. You can get blue HID knock offs, but they won't light the road as good as the stock bulbs, probably, and certainly not like the Silverstars.
Old 12-16-2004, 02:16 AM
Lawn Dart

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nice pics! Did you upgrade the high beams too? the HIDs use a halogen high beam and I was considering changing them. I'm looking for a really bright high beam.
Old 12-16-2004, 03:27 AM
Blue Batmobile
Inventor
Blue Batmobile

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have SS too. I love 'em. I kept the stock sidemarker lamps though, but am still very happy with my setup.

Bat™
Old 12-16-2004, 03:38 AM
VeeTec

I haven't changed the high beams, as I rarely use them.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:58 AM
kewlii

Default Life time of Silverstars

How about the life time of the Silverstars?? does anyone have the number of hours for these bulbs?? and I read somewhere that with these bulbs, their brightness decreases as time goes by. Can somone confirm that??
Old 12-16-2004, 05:31 AM
VeeTec

Default Re: Life time of Silverstars

Originally posted by kewlii
How about the life time of the Silverstars?? does anyone have the number of hours for these bulbs?? and I read somewhere that with these bulbs, their brightness decreases as time goes by. Can somone confirm that??
I have used them in other cars, and never noticed a decrease in brightness. I never had to replace them either.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:09 PM
donricouga

Default Re: Update on changing the base model headlight bulbs to Silverstars......

Originally posted by VeeTec
I finally got around to changing the the stock headlight bulbs to Silverstars, as I can't get the HID yet.

The change was fairly easy. I drove to my friends shop first though, as it was pretty cold outside.

Using a floor jack and air tool, it took around 30-40 minutes to complete the job. First you remove the wheel, which I did one side at a time, then all you do is remove the front part of each fenderwell, which unscrews and pops out easily, and the bulb access is right there. I also suggest using a bright shop light if you are doing this inside, so you can shine it up into the wheel well.

I would recommend getting some PIAA super white side marker lights as well, so the whiteness matches up, or you'll end up with a yellow looking side marker, with a very white looking headlight.

I changed those out as well.

The difference was immediately noticable, as the SS's look very white compared to the stock bulbs, which had a dimmer yellow appearance.

I haven't seen them at night yet, but I will post a pic later so that you can see what they look like, once its dark.

They are not HID's, but they are much better, and whiter, than the stock bulbs, and I only paid $31 for the pair, and $9 for the sidemarkers from PIAA.
Where did you get those PIAA super white side marker lights ? Can you get them at any store ? What size are they ? Thanks.
I am in the ATL Too !
Old 12-18-2004, 03:20 PM
VeeTec

I got them at Nopi.
Old 12-18-2004, 09:56 PM
Spideynw

You may want to check out this link
http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...on/default.htm

The lights are much whiter, but they cost 3 times as much as regular halogens and burnout 3 times quicker. I do not think I want to be replacing bulbs that often.
Old 12-19-2004, 06:02 AM
VeeTec

I only paid $31 for the pair, on sale, at Advance Auto.

None of the other sets I had ever burned out, but I never had the cars they were on for over 1-2 years.

IMO, $31 is worth it, even if they don't last more than 1-2 years. The difference in lighting is obvious.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:36 AM
tommym

I just bought these bulbs, but I was wondering if anyone knows how much a dealer might charge to replace these?