Sponsored by:

New member on board, Got a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2002, 12:45 PM
RSX_2002

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member on board, Got a few questions

Hello,
I currently have a 2002 rsx which was purchased in oct. 2001. It's a nice car, but obviously it's no Z. It's great for city driving and it is pretty zippy. The problem I am experiencing now is a lack of power. Acura (honda) makes their engines (4 cylinder ones at least) where you have to rev the hell out of it before you get any power. I'm tired of hearing my engine scream every time i want a good acceleration. I want a car where I can just step on the gas and it will go. So is it correct that i can expect this from the 350Z?

In the next year, I hope to get a car and i am really liking how the Z is shaping up. I have also considered other cars such as the s2000, new Z4, and audi TT quatro, but it is evident that there is just so much more power that comes with the z.

How do u guys like the Z and do u think it will be the best choice for me?

Thanks for the help,
-rsx_2002
Old 11-07-2002, 12:59 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you on clubrsx.com?

anyway, yes there is LOTS of torque, they say you can shift into 6th gear at under 40mph, actually 38 is the reccomended shift point.

it almost becomes hard because you can ussually downshift or upshift into so many gears. I have taken a uphill turn(STEEP) in 4th gear with revs at 1500RPM, and pulled up it, as in I accelerated. I drove a 4cyl before this, and this is ALOT more fun to use in the city. you wanna go fast? your there.
Old 11-07-2002, 01:10 PM
RSX_2002

oh hey, i remember u from club rsx! So you finally got your 350Z cngratulations! My name is Lead_Foot there.

Anyways, that's exactly what i wanted to hear about the z. So since you know what the rsx is like, lets say you step on the gas at 60mph in 4th with the rsx (type-s) and then step on the gas on the Z @60mph in forth.

How big a difference is it? i mean i've never had/been in a real true performance car so i don't even know what to expect
Old 11-07-2002, 01:31 PM
ColecatZ

Z offers enough torque you rarley have to downshift to pass.....only real reason too is it is a lot more fun. It's also nice when you shift to second during "spirited driving" and the back end steps out on you......gets easier the more you do it. (read: happens more as your tires go bald)

the car is very livable around town....had several MT cars (including two TT 300Z's) and this is the first one I can put in 2nd gear and stay there in traffic without having to shift all the time.

sounds to me like the z meets your criteria, but don't think that after a short time behind the wheel youwon't be listening to the engine scream.......it begs for it the more you put your foot in it...kinda like a chick I used to know. Thats a different story....LOL

just my 2 cents......
Old 11-07-2002, 01:40 PM
SandMan

Default Re: New member on board, Got a few questions

Originally posted by RSX_2002
Hello,
I currently have a 2002 rsx which was purchased in oct. 2001. It's a nice car, but obviously it's no Z. It's great for city driving and it is pretty zippy. The problem I am experiencing now is a lack of power. Acura (honda) makes their engines (4 cylinder ones at least) where you have to rev the hell out of it before you get any power. I'm tired of hearing my engine scream every time i want a good acceleration. I want a car where I can just step on the gas and it will go. So is it correct that i can expect this from the 350Z?

In the next year, I hope to get a car and i am really liking how the Z is shaping up. I have also considered other cars such as the s2000, new Z4, and audi TT quatro, but it is evident that there is just so much more power that comes with the z.

How do u guys like the Z and do u think it will be the best choice for me?

Thanks for the help,
-rsx_2002
If you are getting sick of having to rev high to get power, you might not be too happy with the S2K. When I was driving the S2K everyone thinks I am racing them because of the high revving engine screaming to get power out of it. Your probably better of with a Z. Like ColecatZ said, no need to downshift to pass people.
Old 11-07-2002, 01:40 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

he said it, the car moves, at 60 in 4th your gone. hell at 80 in 6th I was at 100 mph within an 1/8 mile. IN 6TH!!! and the car wasnt even breathing hard.

you can take 2nd gear from 0-60 if you want(tho the clutch wont totally like that) I mistakenly did it once, big truck coming down a hill at me I quick swerved over between 2 parked cars, and proceeded to get going, thought it felt a bit more difficult then normal, till I realized I started the car up hill in 2nd, without nearly as much effort as youd imagine.

also I only test drove an RSX, but lets put it this way, at that time I had never driven a stick but for 5 minutes to learn real quick on a civic. I was able to drive the RSX pretty decent. however after a few months of driving my own 4cyl stick, I stalled the Z on the first go. the car is powerful, but touchy. the clutch is real hard, I like it tho, you become used to it, and then when I moved the old car the clutch felt like a wet sponge.
Old 11-07-2002, 01:47 PM
POWERZ

Default Re: Re: New member on board, Got a few questions

Originally posted by SandMan
If you are getting sick of having to rev high to get power, you might not be too happy with the S2K. When I was driving the S2K everyone thinks I am racing them because of the high revving engine screaming to get power out of it.
You took the words out of my mouth...

I drove a RSX-S and didn't buy, just because if you wanted it to perform you had to drive it like you hate it. It's a great car though. I really liked everything else about it.
Old 11-07-2002, 01:56 PM
wise_1

i don't know if it was just me, but the reason i didn't buy the RSX-S wasn't the high reving engine, because that was expected.

rather, the car felt too comfortable...
i mean the integra felt great, but the stock RSX-S must've had a sedan suspension or something... it was way too soft and the ride was way too comfortable...

it didn't feel sporty...

but Z, hmmmm... no complaints yet...
Old 11-07-2002, 05:46 PM
RSX_2002

Originally posted by wise_1
i don't know if it was just me, but the reason i didn't buy the RSX-S wasn't the high reving engine, because that was expected.

rather, the car felt too comfortable...
i mean the integra felt great, but the stock RSX-S must've had a sedan suspension or something... it was way too soft and the ride was way too comfortable...

it didn't feel sporty...

but Z, hmmmm... no complaints yet...
I agree! Suspension feels not much tighter than a honda accord. Any turn that is taken the least bit aggressively makes the front end come loose. I'm sure the fwd has something to do with it, but i expected it to handle much better, my salesman gave me the line that "it handles on wheels"

How is handling for the Z? that's the only area i would think a car like the s2000 would come close to matching it. But about the engine, i don't enjoy how an s2000's engine has to be reved so hight to get power.
Old 11-07-2002, 05:50 PM
SandMan

Handling is great. It feels as if it is glued to the road. This car lives for the twisties.
Old 11-07-2002, 05:56 PM
Shift_Speed

dude i was from clubrsx.com too... my name was rsx type rice .... hahaha i was goin to get the rsx but the 350z was in my price range too... not a very hard decesion... not as hard as chrome silver or silver stone hahaha
Old 11-07-2002, 06:03 PM
RSX_2002

Originally posted by Shift_Speed
dude i was from clubrsx.com too... my name was rsx type rice .... hahaha i was goin to get the rsx but the 350z was in my price range too... not a very hard decesion... not as hard as chrome silver or silver stone hahaha
congrats to you too!

so how do u like the Z? is it all you expected?
Old 11-07-2002, 06:37 PM
TJZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, I used to be on clubrsx all the time. My username was The Tinkerer. I pretty much completely stopped posting on that board since I've gotten the Z. Unfortunately, there seems to be a little to much flamming over there for my tastes. Lets hope this new influx of trolls on this board wont have the same outcome.

BTW: i went to clubrsx the other day and read about that new Hondata ECU flash mod. It seems pretty awesome. I would have definately wanted that mod if i got a rsx-s.