Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Burnouts

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 03:47 PM
Faluzure

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burnouts

I was trying to show my friend a burnout in my Z but I screwed up. So I lined back up and tried it again and I got off to a great start. I revved all the way up close to redline and then shifted, peeling out in 1st, then 2nd. However, when I shifted to 3rd while my tires were squealing, my car just didn't rev anymore (kinda like when you hit the rev limiter). I'm 100% sure I didn't hit the rev limiter , as I was watching the tach the whole time. It was just when I was in 3rd, I pressed the throttle but it didn't give any gas. So I let off the gas and proceeded to drive like normal. Is something wrong? My car drives ok still, as I drove it a couple miles back home.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:40 PM
Netko350Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nope
Old 03-21-2005, 04:46 PM
autois4pussies

U REVED TILL REDLINE???!!! U dont need to do that to peel out.

First off burnouts are not to good on ur car esp on your tires.

Second if you rev to like 5k that should be more than enough. Just drop it and it will burn, feather the clutch and the gas to keep it burning without it going forward.

Why would u shift while ur burning rubber?!?! Your not moving much and ur shifting to second and third? Iono but that seems like a lot of stress on ur transmission and tranny.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:52 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If your shifting, your car is moving, which != burnout.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:30 PM
syf0n

Originally Posted by Armitage
If your shifting, your car is moving, which != burnout.
Sure it is. There is a difference between standing and rolling burnouts...
Old 03-21-2005, 07:16 PM
Netko350Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think he was doing a rolling. It's tough to do a standing unless you pull the fuse.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:18 PM
SteedaGTJ22

Originally Posted by Netko350Z
I think he was doing a rolling. It's tough to do a standing unless you pull the fuse.
You should be able to rev to like 4grand and let of the clutch for a burnout and then quickly break while burning out and hit the gas. You'll be standing still then and burning out.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:43 PM
Mantis3024

Originally Posted by SteedaGTJ22
You should be able to rev to like 4grand and let of the clutch for a burnout and then quickly break while burning out and hit the gas. You'll be standing still then and burning out.
Like he said, gata pull the brake fuse. Its not like a mustang where you can push the traction control button and light them up all day. I used to have a mustang before the Z, maan I did burnouts like crazy
Old 03-21-2005, 07:46 PM
Faluzure

No no! Let me reiterate. I revved to 3K, dumped the clutch and proceeded to press the gas until my RPMs hit close to redline (my tires were still spinning). I shifted to 2nd, pressed the throttle, and they kept spinning. Only when I shifted to 3rd gear did my car end up not responding. I never actually hit redline in any gear.

The last time I tried it (a few weeks ago), I never shifted out of 1st gear. I eventually regained traction while still in first but when I hit the rev limiter, my fuel was cutoff and I watched my RPMs fall to nothing. I figured if I just shifted to the next gear, I could still maintain spinning the tires and not have the rev limiter cut me off.

Last edited by Faluzure; 03-21-2005 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:25 PM
Acree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no, i know what he is talking about. i love taking my friends when it rains to do donuts and **** in the parking lots around here. with the lots slick, its alot of fun to whip the tail around, but u can't get it going that good unless u shift into second. but just like what he was explaining, when i go from second to third, no matter what the conditions are, it just nevers revs up in 3rd. maybe a safety thing from nissan or possibly our cars dont have enough power.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:47 PM
Z-Stalker

Dude.. Rev it to redline and let your foot off the clutch ASAP. You're simple not doing it quick enough. Practice time and time again and save money for your new trans as well.

Good luck with your ego trip.

Z-Stalker
Old 03-22-2005, 02:51 PM
syf0n

Originally Posted by Netko350Z
What??? I have never had a single problem doing any sorts of burnouts in this car either from a stand or a roll. I have never pulled fuses or anything.

And for the record, it is much easier to do a standing burnout than a rolling burnout. Once you have the car moving there is not as much remaining power to break traction with.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:00 PM
Faluzure

Originally Posted by Z-Stalker
Dude.. Rev it to redline and let your foot off the clutch ASAP. You're simple not doing it quick enough. Practice time and time again and save money for your new trans as well.

Good luck with your ego trip.

Z-Stalker
I don't do it all the time. To tell you the truth, it's the 2nd time I've done it. I don't think I need a new transmission just burning out once or twice. I showed my friend in a closed parking lot because he wanted to see it. I don't see why you spread the sarcasm on so thick.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:18 PM
Tye

I wish i knew how you guys managed to do burnouts. My car just hops.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:35 PM
krysdafur

tcs (traction control) turn it off?
Old 03-22-2005, 03:36 PM
Faluzure

Originally Posted by Tye
I wish i knew how you guys managed to do burnouts. My car just hops.
The first time I did one (better than the last one I did; which made me post this thread), I held the clutch in all the way. Then I just pressed the throttle just enough to maintain 3K RPM and I let go of the clutch entirely and pressed the throttle down even more. Your tires will spin like a ****. You can continue to keep burning out if you wish by shifting into 2nd once you hit your redline because your car will eventually gain traction if you don't. If you do it well enough, you will even chirp your tires going into 3rd.

Of course, as Z-Stalker so kindly put it in his nice sarcastic tone, it's not good for your transmission. Of course, doing 1 or 2 shouldn't hurt.

Oh, and turn TCS/VDC off.

Last edited by Faluzure; 03-22-2005 at 03:39 PM.
Old 03-27-2005, 01:23 AM
Risk

Originally Posted by Faluzure
I was trying to show my friend a burnout in my Z but I screwed up. So I lined back up and tried it again and I got off to a great start. I revved all the way up close to redline and then shifted, peeling out in 1st, then 2nd. However, when I shifted to 3rd while my tires were squealing, my car just didn't rev anymore (kinda like when you hit the rev limiter). I'm 100% sure I didn't hit the rev limiter , as I was watching the tach the whole time. It was just when I was in 3rd, I pressed the throttle but it didn't give any gas. So I let off the gas and proceeded to drive like normal. Is something wrong? My car drives ok still, as I drove it a couple miles back home.

LOL....A 3 gear burnout huh, hope you can afford tires!

Brian (is guilty of lightin 'em up every now and then as well)