Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Got an '03, it rocks, but the guy smoked in it :confused:

Old 04-13-2005, 06:34 PM
WhiteZed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do waht most people say, leave every thing open when you are not in it, and drive with the windows down as much as possible

also a little trick, buy some good quaility carpet shampoo, put some in a spray bottle and mix with water..
easy as pie, a fabric cleaner and freshener...
i use it at home on the suede lounges and curtains maybe once every few weeks, cause its a fine spray / mist, i find it just keeps everything fresh, and it lifts the smells out

give it a try, i find it a bit better than febreeze as that is mainly for smells, the shampoo seems to work better maybe because it cleans it too
Old 04-13-2005, 06:42 PM
Mantis3024

Originally Posted by orion350z
The best place to start is to work in baking soda into the carpeting........a lot of it.......just pour it on and work it in very well..........let it sit overnight.........then vacuum it out. That should get rid of most of the smell. If need be, repeat the process. The hard part is the headliner. For that, I mainly just let the car air out with the windows and hatch open in my garage for a few days. As far as the overall odor of the car; after the other processes have been done, set your a/c on recirculate and spray any arm&hammer aerosole based air freshener into your driver's side, and passenger side floorboard areas. This should recirculate through the car. Just repeat this a few times with the windows and doors shut for a half hour or so and your vents should be good to go. Drive with the windows down after that for a few days and you're almost there..............................ah, i almost forgot...............after all of this is done, if you still need a little help try cleaning your engine bay with simple green; sounds funny, but the smell of the cleaner will waft into your car through the outside vents. This, surprisingly does a decent "follow up" job as well.
+1 to the baking soda. Unlike fabreeze or those air fresheners, baking soda neutralizes the smell instead of covering it up.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:36 PM
jcr847

Ozium,

It gets rid of any smell instantly, febreeze wont work on smoke
Old 04-13-2005, 07:47 PM
boma

I recommend going to mister carwash and having them the interior detail package. They'll shampoo the carpet which helps alot.

After that try the dealership thing.

Don't mask it with sprays.

I bought my car used a year ago and it was owned by a smoker. 16,000 miles later..........

IT STILLS SMELL LIKE SMOKE! just not as bad.

Get rid of it asap, b/c the smell will get into your lungs!!! and you'll smell it even when you're not in the car.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:49 PM
apexi97tsi

Don't forget to beat out the particles in the seats and carpets. I use my hand or a stick of any sort then vaccuum. Make sure you use something to cover up your face otherwise you'll be sneezing like crazy. Good luck.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:54 PM
daytona350z

had the same problem before. i went and bought "bounce" fabric softener after my intereior was fully detailed. i put 4 sheets around the car, and in about a week or so, most of the smell was absorbed.
Old 04-14-2005, 04:50 AM
bigFenE

[B] Wow. Thanks Guys. Alot of great ideas.

Desiguy - I'm gonna have my hag fetch some lemons and baking soda this morning to put in when I get home.

Kurby13 - Thats what will do, I will call around. Thanks, I didn't know there was such a service. Cool.

Arvin - LOL

Orion350Z - Awesome Tips.

thanks to all.

Er
Old 04-14-2005, 05:22 AM
Z-Stalker

Leave some raw chicken in it with the windows up in the sun for a few days. You'll totally forget about the cigar smell.

j/k and congrats on the car.

Z-Stalker
Old 04-14-2005, 06:36 AM
boma

Originally Posted by bigFenE
[B] Wow. Thanks Guys. Alot of great ideas.

Desiguy - I'm gonna have my hag fetch some lemons and baking soda this morning to put in when I get home.

Kurby13 - Thats what will do, I will call around. Thanks, I didn't know there was such a service. Cool.

Arvin - LOL

Orion350Z - Awesome Tips.

thanks to all.

Er

LOL " Gonna have my hag" LOL..........
Old 04-14-2005, 07:35 AM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

When I bought my Z the lady that delivered it must have put perfume on her neck and it absorbed into the seat belt, I'll call her perfume Moldy Rose. Anyway, it was terrible, made me want to gag and not drive my car, it would also get on my shirt and I would smell it all day (it was bad). I took the car to the dealer and met my sales guy for the first time and they tried some Orange cleaner on it. That worked for about an hour or about how long it took me to get home. I complained so he gave me a free factory bra and trunk net/seat back organizer/ trunk mat stuff and I said I would work on it.

I got some Armor All Oxi Clean for upholstery, pulled the seatbelt all the way out and cleaned it every half an hour for eight hours and by the end of the day, it was gone and gone for good.

If I were in your shoes I would give the whole car a once over with the oxi clean stuff, every panel, the carpet, seats (probably not the headliner) then do the lemons and baking soda

Chris
Old 04-14-2005, 07:37 AM
Mystery Guest

I used to be a detail Manager at auto nation. We had a machine we used that would recirculate air in the car and pull bad odors and it will also clean the a/c vents. It looks almost like a fog machine/generator. It worked really well. If you are that interested in removing the odor call either a dealership or find a detail company with this machine.

If you have fabric on your seats you will need to steam clean them really well. The fabric and your air conditioning system willl hold most of the odor.
Old 04-14-2005, 04:09 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Put up your windows, turn the fan on to get the air conditioning cleared out. Maybe try the rubbing alcohol in the intake trick. Then, with the car off and closed, put an Ionic Breeze in it overnight. Worked on a friends car.
Old 04-14-2005, 04:29 PM
2004z
Sleeps in 350Z

Originally Posted by arvin
Just start smoking also.......you won't notice it after a few days.
HAHAHAAHAHHAHAAH