Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Grease streaks???

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 02:41 PM
Exta_Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grease streaks???

Okay, my Z has 3,900 miles on it and so far i have to say everything has been rock solid. I have notice something a few days ago...there seems to be this goooie stuff by where the window sills are. Looks like it is coming from inside the door. Is this that "greasey window" thing that everyone is talking about? I don't want to take it to the dealer becuase I do not want them to take apart my door, and not be able to put it back together correctly... What exactly do they "fix" with grease streaks? If it is just excess grease, I will do the repair myself. Any input is greatly appreciated!
Old 04-21-2005, 03:07 PM
andrew

I thought this problem had been remedied after the 03 models? Anyway, I was like you and didn't want to risk any damage by a possible careless worker. I was irritated by the grease streaks on both windows for an entire year before I finally took it in for warranty. That was a year ago and the window streaks haven't reappeared...and my baby was returned to me just fine. If I recall correctly, you have to remove the window regulator and replace felt stabilizers. If I am wrong I hope someone will elaborate. TSB #03-029 April 03. Good luck whether you do it yourself or take it in.

sorry, I just reread your post and it may be a different issue. the issue of the original window streaking was a greasy VERTICAL line roughly an inch wide that went from top to bottom when you opened and closed your window.

Last edited by andrew; 04-21-2005 at 03:11 PM.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:23 PM
Superhung

Windex is your friend =)
Old 04-21-2005, 04:59 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

After 2.5 years, I just finally got that fixed, and luckily my doors and windows seem unharmed.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:38 PM
apexi97tsi

I am thinking the same thing that I didn't want anyone to make matters worse. I am thinking about getting my windows tinted, so the grease fix will have to be my priority before the tint. Going to schedule an appointment soon.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:56 PM
nicolaycastro

Whenever I wash my car I am not able to lower my windows because a nice water mark stays on the window, so after they fixed the problem with the windows, does that gets fixed too?
Old 04-21-2005, 05:57 PM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

search function, tsb, search function, tsb, search function, tsb, search function, tsb...... ad nauseum.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:56 AM
Electro Z

I also just took my Daytona Z in for a driverside regulator problem. It only drops the window by 1/8th inch on opening the door. I asked them to replace the foamy rollers (streaking) at the same time. I got my Z back with no regulator as they ordered the wrong one ( its due in today ) but when they replaced the rollers they messed up my passenger window.. it now seats front then back and theres a wind noise now. So its going back for the correct regulator to be installed and they can fix what the did to the passenger window... sheesh.

Electro Z
Old 04-22-2005, 06:32 AM
Primaltone

I took my car in for this and it was the biggest mistake I ever made.

For this one problem, the first dealer managed to: scratch the exterior of my roof and and the black bar on the driver's side that separates the front from rear quarter window, plus not fix the original problem. I had to pay out of my own pocket to have the roof buffed as they screwed it up even more when trying to fix it.

The second dealer had to replace my door panel because they took a chunk out of it when removing it. Plus, when I went to pick the car up, the door handle wouldn't work because they put the door together wrong.

When I removed both door panels to install speakers, I noticed stripped screws, broken or missing plastic clips that secure the door, and marks on the plastic where the had hacked it with a screwdriver trying to remove the door handles.

I've said this before, but I have yet to have my car worked on by a Nissan employee who is not a careless, incompetent moron. I will not take my car back to Nissan unless there's something I can't fix. It's pretty sad that I can fix my car better than a 'trained' professional.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:51 AM
ANXIOUZ

Holy crap. That's awful. I haven't had any issues with my dealer. They've been good to me.

I had the winded grease fixed on my 03 and it hasn't come back. I believe they replace the roller and pad that presses against the window while it rolls up/down.

And as far as a dealer screwing up your car or doing damage? If I had to trust anyone to do it right, I'd choose a dealer who does nothing but look at Nissan's all day long. And if something DID go wrong, I'd make sure they fixed it right away or I'd called Nissan and report their shotty work.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:01 AM
Primaltone

I called Nissan and complained about dealer #1, but Nissan claimed that they could do nothing other than take note of it. Apparently, once Nissan sells a car to a dealer, it's out of their hands. I did rip my dealer a good one with their little 'survey'. I even attached an additional 8.5x11 typed page about what the dealer did. I didn't like dealer #2 either, but at least they fixed what they broke with no questions asked.
Old 04-23-2005, 03:24 PM
Exta_Z

Thanks guys, i think i will let this slide by becuase its not that bad....i might just wait until it becomes a serious issue.
Old 04-23-2005, 03:40 PM
Primaltone

Originally Posted by Exta_Z
Thanks guys, i think i will let this slide by becuase its not that bad....i might just wait until it becomes a serious issue.
I just want to add that a lot of people on here have had no issues with their dealers regarding this issue, so don't let my experience influence you too much. My experience just made me really mad, and I enjoy venting about it.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:33 PM
CelticPride2

I'm starting to get the streaks too, but I've decided to live with it. I usually clean the windows every week anyway, and based on what I've heard from many of the folks here, the cure is much worse than the disease.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:31 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get a grease streak on occassion but 5 seconds of wiping eliminates it. I'm not about to have any shop take the doors apart for something trivial.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:38 AM
Electro Z

Unhappy

Well, I dropped my Z off this morning. The passenger door window has a loud wind noise and the window sounds like its grinding against the rubber.. sounds like its about to break. I told em and they said they would check it out.. I will ahve to sit and play with the windows when I pick it up to make sure its done right... sigh... I would have never taken it in the the grease marks if the driver side regulator wasnt on the verge of failing....

damn damn damn damn damn <-- prof higgins ( my fair lady )

EZ
Old 04-26-2005, 05:26 PM
rolling

its sad when Customers feel they have to fix their own vehicles when the problem is covered under warranty which they Paid for!
Nissan not only makes money of you buying their car, but doesnt need pay people to fix it either!! what a great racket!! "Make it worse so they wont come back" heh
Old 04-27-2005, 04:41 AM
Electro Z

Got my DBZ back. The didnt fix the passenger window . Its was still going up in the front first then the back is jamming up against the sill. And the driver side window was not dropping fast enough to miss the sill opening. Took it back and they fixed the driver side problem and the passenger side now seats "almost" correctly. Its still going up front first then rear . Its sitting slightly ( 3mm ) lower on the rubber which might be still giving me a wind noise. I will be washing it Saturday and if I see any water inside the window it is going back.

LOL.. they wanted to bring in another Z to show me the windows did the same thing... I was like.. "No.. I will know if its right " and it looked right till i got it home and checked it again.

I will let you guys know how that goes if I ahve to take it back. Standard Dealership work.. Fix one thing break two.

EZ
Old 05-11-2005, 12:50 AM
apexi97tsi

Hey guys! I'd hate to bring this up again. But for those who don't know, I just found out, they have a TSB on the streaks now:

http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownershi.../NTB03-029.htm
Old 06-25-2005, 12:57 AM
EteRnal PAL

Thanks for the link to the TSB. I want to get these grease streaks fixed, but I'm afraid to take it in and have them screw something else up.