Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

why I don't like the 350Z - from a 15/16 year old

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2002, 05:57 AM
dmcgibbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why the 350Z sucks...

haha i bet this will get tons of views and i'm putting my flame suit on...

Ok I am not a 350Z owner, but I have a few questions. As a 15-16yo I used to obsess over the 300ZX and tried to buy one but they were always too expensive used. Anyway, I loved the shape, engineering, T-tops, and everything else about it, but I realized it was an overpriced, sluggish, overweight touring GT kind of car that simply was too much money for buyers/economy at the time so it was discontinued. Nevertheless, although the Z looks were aging, I was still sad that they discontinued it and didn't refresh the look or something.

So 6 years pass and they come out w/ the 350Z, which supposedly harkens back to older Z heritage and is produced as the "affordable" sports car that the 300ZX wasn't. I saw one going down the road a week ago and I liked the shape of it and was interested in it so I called some dealers and all told me I couldn't drive it until I bought it and added in some arrogance and a poor attitude telling me my money wasn't good enough and there are plenty of people that would gladly buy the Z if I refused to put money down and sign on the dotted line before I even got to look at it or test drive the car. Anyway, I understand people want 0 mileage Z's, but their stand-offish attitude and arrogance is horrible. I can go to infiniti and drive a G35 or to BMW and drive any M series car as well as tons of cars that are more expensive, have better performance, etc. so although they want to keep joy test-drivers down, they are going a little to far when they tell me off over the phone.

I thought that the Nissan's 350Z could be either a very well performing sports car that costed $35-40k and performed better than BMW M3's etc. but w/ less of the brand name and luxury and add-ons OR it could be an affordable sports car that offered driving fun and luxury at a lower price tag than any other company/offers. However, it seems like the 350Z is once again just like the aging 300ZX - overpriced and not a phenomenal performer. For a few grand more you can buy a BMW that has much better sales, customer service, resale value, brand image, luxury/standard options, AND better performance. I understand that maybe buying the base or lower models is a better buy, but the Touring/Track models do not offer the craftsmanship, materials, uniqueness, and performance of a sports car that costs $35-40k imho. Nissan had such opportunity with this car but although it is a nice car, I couldn't see spending almost $40k for a 2 seater that only holds two people (which would be fine if its goal was performance/sports car) but at the same time had lackluster performance (which would be fine if its goal was luxury/touring) and the car is mostly plastic and has cheap interior parts. The old 300ZX had twin turbos, suede/alcantera, leather standard, and many technological advancements that were ahead of its time.

I have always liked Z's and I like this new 350Z, but I was just asking why people don't think this car is overpriced and misdirected? I mean, if you want an affordable sporty, good performing car, why not get a Subaru WRX which is a much better deal, much faster/better handling, and fits more people? Haha I don't like Subaru's but this is just an example...

Also, will the Z offer sunroof or T-tops or targa in the future? Will it have any other variants like the Twin Turbo version? Don't you see the parallels to the 300ZX? If they introduce the TT it will be another few grand and once again it will be a $40-45k 2 seater car that doesn't have phenomenal performance or utility and the economy is slow and the same thing is going to happen to the ill-fated 300ZX. What really stinks is now that they are coming out w/ the RX-8 and Supra, it seems like they will both be just like the 350Z - a bunch of compromises that sacrifice performance for comfort/luxury and sacrifice comfort/luxury for performance which will yield a car that performs ok (but other autos do much better) and a car that doesn't have that high quality or exclusivity in materials and is just a glorified Toyota Celica or something like that. What is the difference between the Toyota Celica and 350Z by the way? Why is the Nissan SO much more money?

I'm not posting this as a personal attack against the 350Z, I just really like Z's and wish that they could have done more w/ it or priced it differently or had different goals for it and I was hoping for input from you all so that you could change my mind or give alternate viewpoints besides you suck Z's are awesome...
Old 11-25-2002, 06:12 AM
BrainStorm

Since the Z starts at $26,809 (no options) and tops out at $34,619 (no options), I would hardly call it overpriced unless you're referring to dealers that add mark-ups in which case a good negotiator could bargain it off...

The 350Z does not suck. To say such a thing is just childish. You have a bad experience at one Nissan dealership and then you go online and condemn the car before you even drive it. I think you're just mad, go have some coffee and chill...
Old 11-25-2002, 06:19 AM
dmcgibbo

i'm not saying the 350Z sucks that was just the subject line to get viewers...I was just looking for someone to give viewpoints like to say well the Subaru is slower 0-60 or tell me how the Z is different than the Celica, etc. Also, as I said in my post, the lower model 350Z's aren't really overpriced, but I don't understand why the touring/track reaches $37k with options when there are comparable cars that are more versatile and that perform better. Did the people that bought these 350Z's buy them for their performance, engine, driving, cargo room, looks, or what? That's all I was asking...I didn't mean to condemn the car, I'm still interested in it and was hoping people could lend their advice. The comment you make about driving it - I can't drive it! None of the Nissan dealerships in my area (I called 5) would let me drive it until I put down a down payment and signed for the car...

Plus, this message asked if there were news about updates to the 350Z such as the twin-turbo or why sunroof/targa/t-tops aren't offered and whether they will be? Also, will there be any changes to the car for next year or any time thereafter? what about the convertible?

what are the differences between each model in simple terms? like what can you get w/ the touring that isn't possible w/ the other models that is worth the extra $?

Last edited by dmcgibbo; 11-25-2002 at 06:22 AM.
Old 11-25-2002, 06:54 AM
VR3

The Z is great affordable sports car. The quality of the engine has received many praises from many reviewers. The interior quality IMO is above average. The exterior styling IMO is unique and aggressive. BMW, or another, don't offer a great overall package as this for the price. The closest would be an M3, which is when I last checked $50k. The 325/330 don't come close in performance to the z and the overall material quality in questionable. I've read many owners not being satisfied with interior quality of dealer service. As to comparing it to the WRX, well the wrx is probable fun car to drive but I rather have a more reliable N/A engine with better overall build quality and styling.

The touring offers, factory leather seats, heated and power seats, heated side mirrors, bose 240w stereo w/subwoofer, 6cd changer & cass deck, anti-glare rearview mirror, and w/mt the 18' wheels. (the performance offers these 18' as well).

As for future models, who knows were still enjoying the current one.

Check out nissanusa.com for more specific info on the different models.
Old 11-25-2002, 06:58 AM
rahilio

dewd if you have money to buy an m3 buy it.
it is 20 grand more much nicer car it has both
performance and luxery you can buy 2 350z's
for that price and since youll have 2 z's youll
have those 4 seats you wanted. buying cars
is a matter of taste most of the time. go with
what you like better there will always be a better
car down the line no matter what you buy. i got the z cause i wanted something fast and something i always wanted but could not afford. now i can, i bought the base model and i should have got the enthusiast but im very happy with my car ive never had something this fast before 0-60 in 5.4 seconds is fast no matter what trim you get they all yeild the same perfomace with the exception of cornering. 287 horsepower for a 27k car is pretty cheap celica dosent have that comapre the celica to an accord or a civic that car is not even in the same ballpark, you can always get that new turbo neon great bang for the buck but you still would be a dork if you bought one.
Old 11-25-2002, 07:08 AM
Zoro

Default re

"you suck Z's are awesome..."
sorry just couldn't resist.

I think you would have to drive one to truly appreciate it.

As far a Subaru, I don't know where you get your info but there is no way it will stay up with a Z especially once you really get rolling. I've never drove a wrx but I don't think its gearing will allow it to approach 155mph.

The Subaru IMO is one ugly and cheaply built car. I can't imagine having something that ugly in my drive way.

Now the Z has some very classic lines and I feel the interior matches the exterior, very hi-tech styling.

The handling is superb and the ride on good roads is amazing.
True on rough uneven roads it can get a little bouncy but no where that of a vette.

I bought my Z because of performance, looks, comfort. There is no other car on the market that compare to it in the price range.
Old 11-25-2002, 07:19 AM
dmcgibbo

0-60 time for the wrx is great tho. i agree that the subaru is ugly and i'd never buy it haha. but its still just an example. what is the Z's biggest competition? I know the rx8 and supra will be but what is there now that's a 2 or 4 seater w/ similar performance for 35-40 grand? also, what's the difference b/w the g35 coupe and the 350Z? I know the infiniti is less performance/sports oriented but is it slower or anything? It seems like about the same price, more luxury options, and has the same performance? If the 350Z came w/ a targa top (or this is dreaming but an automatic panorama roof that slides back like the porsche omg that would be awesome) and 10" rims and if the stereo could play mp3's and you could upgrade the nav to watch tv and dvd as easily as the bmw m5 could (nav-tv isn't the same with the 350z) and if it was a 2+2 and had a twin turbo, I'd absolutely LOVE the car. haha it wouldn't have to have all that haha even if it did i couldn't afford it...
Old 11-25-2002, 07:32 AM
Winkin

The lack of a stock turbo is not a negative aspect on the car. If the 350Z is pushing the same power output as the 300ZX (WITHOUT a turbo/s) that means it has much more potential once you go FI.

And ahhh yes...always funny and convenient to forget the car starts at 26k and not 40

I have always liked Z's and I like this new 350Z, but I was just asking why people don't think this car is overpriced and misdirected? I mean, if you want an affordable sporty, good performing car, why not get a Subaru WRX which is a much better deal, much faster/better handling, and fits more people? Haha I don't like Subaru's but this is just an example...

As for the WRX, I had considered buying one. It came down to Base Z and WRX. Unfortunately for Subaru, the WRX has already become the next Civic in the import world. If you think a lot of aftermarket parts for the Z are done in bad taste you'd probably die from shock at what people are doing to their WRXs. And then there's the ugly factor...the WRX is just an ugly car, regardless of its performance.

The Z and WRX are completely different cars. You can't even call the WRX a sports car...if anything it is a sport sedan/wagon. Just because their 0-60 times are almost equal doesn't put them in the same category. But I guess hp/torque output is all that matters in a car to some people.
Old 11-25-2002, 07:41 AM
dmcgibbo

do you like the interior of the g35 or 350z better? i kinda like the pop up nav screen and stuff. i really want to go test drive a 350z but they won't let me that's what's pissing me off! haha. and if i'm going to spend 30-35 grand on a car, i wish it could have 2 tiny backseats like the g35 has - if the 350z was a 2+2 it would be great. i mean i like the 2seater better and would rather have that but you can only have it as a second car if its 2 seater. i always have at least 2 others in my jeep now so going to a 2seater and not being able to haul anything would suck but then again it would be so much more fun to drive. geez i hope i can afford 2 cars someday
Old 11-25-2002, 07:45 AM
perucho

I stopped reading his post right after the "Ok I am not a 350z owner part.
Old 11-25-2002, 07:47 AM
Zoro

Default yep

"But I guess hp/torque output is all that matters in a car to some people"

That would explain why there are so many camaro's, firebirds, and mustangs cluttering up the streets.

But even GM came to their senses and decided to kill their evil creation.
When I think of Ford, I think of mustangs and lions both big time losers.
Old 11-25-2002, 07:48 AM
z350z
Charter Member #13

How can you mention the Celica? It's a spruced-up front-wheel-drive economy car. Comparing it with a powerful RWD sportscar is like comparing a Corvette to some crappy FWD American "sporty" car. If you know so little about cars that you can't tell the difference between a Celica and a 350Z, get yourself a Celica, save the money, and be happy.
Old 11-25-2002, 07:51 AM
importriders

I think you need to do more research on the Z and its "real" competition. It's obvious that you do not really know much about the new Z by comparing it to a celica or wrx. I am not trying to flame you or anything, but it seems like you want people to do the homework for you instead of doing it yourself. My suggestion to you is to read a little more on the Z(plenty of mags have done comparisons), then if you still think it sucks, reply on here as to why you think it does. Basically you are judging the car without even really knowing it. That is a little ignorant if you ask me.
Old 11-25-2002, 07:53 AM
dmcgibbo

ahhh you missed my point entirely. basically since i CAN"T drive the car yet, i was wondering what the differences were and positives to the car over others in driving since i CAN"T do this in my area yet b/c my dealers are pita's. For instance, the skyline GT doesn't have great performance numbers but the torque throughout the entire rpm curve is spectacular and even at high cruising speeds it can take off. i was wondering your opinions on the 350z and things since all i had to go with were a 0-60 of 6.0 and 5.4 reported on different websites. How peppy is the car compared to others and what are the positives over the g35, celica, cheaper and more expensive cars. that was all i was asking...
Old 11-25-2002, 07:53 AM
ToddLuc

Originally posted by dmcgibbo
1) i really want to go test drive a 350z but they won't let me that's what's pissing me off!

2) if the 350z was a 2+2 it would be great.
1) This is a sports car. You cannot test drive them. Try getting a 911 Turbo for a test drive. Won't happen. I am happy a dealer won't let the "joy riders" (such as you) a chance in the car.

2) No it would not. This is a sports car, not a luxury passenger car.
Old 11-25-2002, 07:54 AM
mcclaskz

I never thought a tarheel could be that stupid.
Old 11-25-2002, 07:54 AM
ToddLuc

basically since i CAN"T drive the car yet...
'nuff said. I'm out.
Old 11-25-2002, 07:56 AM
dmcgibbo

um i went for a test drive in a porsche a few weeks ago. i can understand them being arrogant and uppity about an 85 thousand dollar car more so than at a nissan dealership which is considered inferior to toyota and honda by many people. like i said, i have an interest in the car not in just going for a fun joy ride. offering a 2+2 just like the 300ZX did would be nice in my opinion. I would rather have a 2 seater but only having two seats is a big compromise if it was my only car. I undrestand that you may not like that but that is my opinion. Same as I think people who rice out their car and attach big spoilers and carbon fiber crap is ridiculous but others really enjoy that so to each their own...
Old 11-25-2002, 07:57 AM
The Apple

It doesn't really seem to me that you have that great a sense of money. A BMW M3 isn't a 'few thousand' more, it's twenty thousand more. There's no question the M3 is a better performer, and for $20,000.00 more it had damn well better be. I don't think anyone will argue with you on that point, mainly because it's so blatently obvious most people would see no point in mentioning it.

I thought that the Nissan's 350Z could be either a very well performing sports car that costed $35-40k and performed better than BMW M3's etc. but w/ less of the brand name and luxury and add-ons
If it were priced at $35-40k it'd basicly just be another 300ZX, too pricey and would be dead in a couple of years.

OR it could be an affordable sports car that offered driving fun and luxury at a lower price tag than any other company/offers.
Uh, that's exactly what the 350Z is. What else comes close to its performance at $26,000? The WRX? Sure, in 0-60 sprints it can pretty much keep up with the 350Z due to the advantage it has when launching with AWD, but as an all around performer the Z is the better performing car. But truth be told how the WRX and 350Z compare in terms of performance doesn't matter at all since the 350Z is a sport coupe and the WRX is a sport sedan, and I seriously doubt many people cross shop the two.

It seems you spent a lot of time writing your original post and have made the effort to respond to others so I don't want to call you a troll, but it's very hard not to get that impression. So many of the things you've said just make no sense and seem to have been said solely to provoke 350Z owners. You're topic header is clearly designed to get as many people to respond with an inflamatory tone as possible, so I really doubt many people will be able to take anything you say seriously.

I'm one of those people.
Old 11-25-2002, 07:57 AM
importriders

ahhh you missed my point entirely. basically since i CAN"T drive the car yet, i was wondering what the differences were and positives to the car over others in driving since i CAN"T do this in my area yet b/c my dealers are pita's. For instance, the skyline GT doesn't have great performance numbers but the torque throughout the entire rpm curve is spectacular and even at high cruising speeds it can take off. i was wondering your opinions on the 350z and things since all i had to go with were a 0-60 of 6.0 and 5.4 reported on different websites. How peppy is the car compared to others and what are the positives over the g35, celica, cheaper and more expensive cars. that was all i was asking...
You do not have to drive one to learn this. That is what boards like this are for. Now if all you were asking for is driving impressions by 350z owners, then just ask for that instead of saying the 350z sucks right off the bat. You will get a better response that way.

Quick Reply: why I don't like the 350Z - from a 15/16 year old