Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350Z or M3

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 02:20 PM
Wicked4u2c

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, im not sure if most of you know who Craig Liberman is? Anyhow, he was the car cordinator for The Fast And The Furious. Regardless of how RICE the car's were, Craig actually has owned and owns the nicest cars available today. From Lamborghini's to R34 Skylines, from Supra's to Porsche's. He is currently a member of supraforums (like my350z but for supra's). I decided to ask him a question, instead of me direct linking I will just post copy and paste it here.

THIS WAS MY QUESTION (BTW He will take a SURPRA over any car, keep in mind he has owned a $200+ lamborghini so you can see price isn't an problem, overall satisfaction and reliability)

Wicked4u2c ASKS:Craig, hope you answer my question here. With all these supercars that you have driven what sets each car that you own apart? And why the SUPRA and not the skyline? The Supra and Skyline seem to be longtime rivals with very strong motors and aesthetics that would kill. How would you compare all the cars that you have owned, and what are some ups and downs on each car? Maybe tell us a few things you like about the car that sets it apart from all the other cars you own, and also tell us some stuff you hate about the car.. What about new cars i.e. 350z (turbo), STI, EVO, C6 etc... how do they compare to these older vehicles.

Thanks Craig!

Craing Liberman Writes: Good question:
My Supra: With a modest T66, it spooled fast, made over 500 to the wheels and was very reliable. Loved the targa and at the time, wildly modified Supras were rare. It did everything well, never left me stranded and the sound of a blow off valve gets my wee-wee hard.

My Skyline: Fun car, but built for shock value, magazine exposure and to win shows. Realtively easy to drive, but California registration issues were impossible to resolve, and Motorex is useless as ***** on a Priest. In left hand turn lanes, its hard to see past oncoming traffic. McDonalds' drive-thru and toll booths are a *****. 20 year old kids stalk you, 40 year old guidos in Corvettes can't figure out why the steering wheel is on the wrong side. Sold the car for two reasons: a $200,000 offer to buy it and because I couldn't get the thing registered in California. Note: This car actually caused several accidents, all the same MO: Kid in a Honda/Acura or Eclipse staring at me and rear ending the car in front.

My Diablo: Fun...for about 2 weeks. People will cruise in your blind spot for miles just to get a look at that car. I was having chicks from 19 to 50 say things to me like "I'd do anything for a ride in that car." At the time, I was married....I'd easily get into trouble with that thing. In reality, that car had many, many mechanical issues and the dealer knew only two prices for service: $5000 and $7500. Had the brakes once lock up on me at an intersection...without me ever touching the pedal. The car was unreliable, expensive to maintain and the A/C didn't work to save your life. This car caused accidents, too. Had 2 horny cougar 40 year old chicks in a real estate badged Cadillac stalk me for 10 miles, then make obscene deep throating gestures at me...then they rear ended a Lexus SUV on the 5 freeway. Awesome.

996TT: Awesome car...does everything well and you can drive this thing everday. Tilt, cruise, navigation, etc. Only problem,in So Calif., they're a dime a dozen...there were 3 within 10 miles of my house that were identical (and mine was yellow with yellow backed seats and was custom ordered). I HATE owning what everyone else owns.

M3: A fun, fun car. Drives like no other car I've driven, handles well, very plush on the inside. You get in one of these, go drive a canyon and you'll be sold...it is one helluva car! Literally, the steering wheel in your hand responds like no other car I've ever driven, including Vettes or Ferraris. Only problem: its' slow...by my standards. I'm sure a lot of M3 guys will tell you that their cars are fast and relatively speaking, they are. But with no turbo option and blower kits still in their testing infancy, I couldn't help but feel an empty spot in my heart where a compressor use to reside. I decided long ago to turn this car into my "shock value" car, hence the widebody kit, the 7 TV's, etc. etc.

Thus far, my favorite car "to play with" has been the Supra. I plan on keeping this for a few years (going through a divorce now, so I HOPE I can keep it) and to sell my M3 later this year. I'll use the sale of the M3 to fund my next toy, probably another Porsche of some sort.

My daily ride is a lighlty modified CLK500, by the way.

MY (Wicked4u2c) Comments
The reason why I brought this post here is although I havent been in a Lamborghini or R34 Skyline, I have been in an M3 and Comparing the M3 to a 350z is Apples and Oranges. Although most will be in denial but the M3 is a way better car overall. I think the reason why the 350z became so famous is the body line's of a porsche with the price tag of a Lexus. Yes, the 350z is neck to neck with the M3 in 0-60 times and 1/4 miles. But like Craig posted driving it in the twisties the response you get from the steering is amazing. I would take the M3 over the Z any day and I am a Z owner. But if I were you I would wait for the New M3. Im sure it will leave the old M3 in the dust and more.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:24 PM
Wicked4u2c

BTW, id take the Supra over any Z or M3 anyday. Thats a car that is 10 years old and still will kick the living $hit out of most cars with little money ($3k or less)

Need I say more

Old 05-03-2005, 04:09 PM
Winchm60

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ppw350Zunit
+1

+2
Old 05-03-2005, 04:48 PM
Camel

Beautiful Supra.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:40 PM
SB Track

That Supra is beyond nice, but I would take an M3 over my Z anyday. There was just no way my parents were buying me an M3.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:35 PM
phile

Wicked4u2c,

Although you had a little m3 info in there, I've never seen a thread hijacked so tactfully. Cool post, and pics!

Old 05-03-2005, 09:14 PM
Jim Yandell

I traded my late-model BMW for the 350Z because it was a mechanical/electrical nightmare. I plan on staying with Japanese cars. They have been good to me in the past.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:49 PM
Reggi914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rolling
Reggi914
wow are you in Israel?
i didnt even know they had roads over there you could drive cars like these fast and agressive... but i know you guys definaly have the $$$$$ hehe

as for the cars sell both and get the m6? or 6 series oo yeaaa
Umm, no i am not in Israel and yes Israel does have roads Israel is one of the most high tech countries in the world.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:49 PM
Reggi914

The supra is an amazing car. Its all about opinion. I would take an M3 over a supra any day. The driving experience is better IMO.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:36 PM
fairladyZ in Japan

Originally Posted by Jim Yandell
I traded my late-model BMW for the 350Z because it was a mechanical/electrical nightmare. I plan on staying with Japanese cars. They have been good to me in the past.
BMW are great cars .. and the M3 is simply superb in my opinion. I love the handling, the suspension, and the road feel.

In Japan .. BMW and Benz are very popular, but have what is known as the German disease ... electrical problems. Simply amazing .. the number of BMWs/BENZs that I have seen going down the highway at night, lights on, and the rear lights at stop red category. Unbelievable.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:04 AM
OneFast944Turbo

Amazing supra... Just MHO why would toyota not be making the supra still today?.. I understand that they are working on one as we speak, but think about it. There are people today willing to pay anything for one thats 10years old. Toyota is missing out on a lot of sold cars..
Old 05-04-2005, 07:16 AM
Wicked4u2c

Originally Posted by OneFast944Turbo
Amazing supra... Just MHO why would toyota not be making the supra still today?.. I understand that they are working on one as we speak, but think about it. There are people today willing to pay anything for one thats 10years old. Toyota is missing out on a lot of sold cars..
Toyota isn't missing out, see its all strategy. Supply and demand, they are fully aware of the market value of the Supra, and they know that if they were to release a new model it would sell like hot cakes. See, the reason they discontinued the Supra in the first place was because lack of sales, that car was way to expensive in its day, but at the same time way to advanced for its time. It wasn't until a few years were the Supra received recognition, like I stated above a few mods and it will take out most cars available today. Now back to the topic, 350z's now are a dime of dozen. I can honestly say I see about 3-5 350z's a day. Heck, S2000's are more rare than Z's. Which is another reason why I would take the M3 or better yet a Supra
Old 05-04-2005, 10:16 AM
NTRIGUE

My only disappointment is the market saturation of the Z

I thought at least the Track Model would provide some uniquity
Old 05-04-2005, 03:40 PM
SFVZ

People are saying that Z's are a dime a dozen.. I don't know about where you guys live, but in Los Angeles I see a hell of a lot more M3's on the road than 350z's. Also, I see more G35 coupes on the road than Z's. The M3 is a freakin amazing car, I looked at them and test-drove one, but in the end I'm very glad I bought the Z. Not only did I save 22 grand, but I threw some 19's on it and it now looks like a million bucks. It is such a unique looking car. I really feel that the looks of this car are going to age well.
Attached Thumbnails 350Z or M3-z1.jpg  
Old 05-04-2005, 04:21 PM
Balthazar

You are one rich bastard, and I hate/love you.

lol
Old 05-04-2005, 09:17 PM
35oZephyR

It still can be "hit or miss" with Toyota depending if they hold on to the formula of their current Supras OR throw the car market a curve ball with something performing or resembling the Solara.

I'm sure the Mark 3's and earlier have a great following but it never quite had the universal sports/touring car appeal of the current MkIV Supra. Toyota really nailed this one and it's a question if they'll do it again.
I wouldn't bet on it until they actually release one.

I see more M3's than I do Z's on my commute but neither case bothers me. If someone wanted exclusivity they would have purchased something else.

>>>In Japan .. BMW and Benz are very popular, but have what is known as the German disease ... electrical problems.

"German disease"??
lol funny you mention that, my folks called me the other day about their brand new 2005 CLK going haywire with having it's tail lights out. The computer keeps indicating that it's lights are out when they actually work.

Their previous E class did the same thing but the light actually blew every few weeks. They love their german cars but I'm sure they can relate.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:37 PM
neodieselpmp

i think that u should go for the M3. I have a Z and my friend has an M3. And its a nice car. And also pulls hard on the highway.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:46 AM
Zshazz

I have a 328i and it tells me all the time my brake light circuit is screwed up... plus every once in awhile, the turn signals will randomly stop working.

Anyway. That said, if I could get either car for free, I'd get an M3.....

And sell it then buy a 350z and fix it up. :-P

The M3 owns the 350z on the interior... but if you're buying a sportscar on how pretty the interior is, then you're buying a sportscar for the wrong reasons.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:58 AM
35oZephyR

Originally Posted by Zshazz
if you're buying a sportscar on how pretty the interior is, then you're buying a sportscar for the wrong reasons.
Great universal application.

Every sports car I've ever sat in my only interior concerns were this:

a.) Adjust Steering wheel there, reach shift **** here.
b.) (ignore speedometer) Wheres the Tach? oh ok..
c.) Seat belt on, Is my **** in place?
d.) Start up this biotch...she sounds great inside good.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:18 AM
zmespeed

i see tons more m3's than Z's and if you throw the hole 3 serires in there i see millions it seems. but im seeing many more Z's than i used to i know of about let's see 1,2,3,4,5,6...may be ten in the tri county area. but i know theres many more. because the dealer ships are loaded. mmm but i still SEE more 3's