Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone drive their Z in the winter/snow?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 08:05 PM
ind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone drive their Z in the winter/snow?

Or do you store it? If you store it, how often is it recommended to start/refresh the engine over the winter season?
Old 05-20-2005, 06:43 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd do a search on this one, Lots of first hand accounts of the Z in Snow man.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:14 AM
Qbrozen

well, i'm just going to answer it here, anyway.

i got stuck with mine in the snow once. ugh. couldn't get home. it just wouldn't move at all.

anyway, i do have a winter car, so no biggie. But as far as storing it, it doesn't snow ALL winter (unless you live in some extreme northern climate), so I take it out on those sunny days when the roads are clear and the weather man says nothing is on the horizon. Rarely did a full week go by that I couldn't take it out for a drive.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:32 AM
soldierboy

the z is horrible in winter with stock tires.... I was in Kansas last winter whent it was snowed...I spun off the road 2 times.....got stuck on the shoulder....some motorists help me push it out......1 mile down the road...I spun off to the shoulder again... this time the cop saw me and called a tow truck.... pulled me out..... cost me 60 dollars damm it......I was moving that fast at all about 20-25mph..... here is my conclusion summer tire+ rear wheel drive and icecoated freeway.....not good combination.... the damn thing got no traction at all... this is from my personal account... still love the car...just can't drive on snow..... buying new tiressssssssssssssssssssss...
Old 05-20-2005, 07:34 AM
kt350z

The Z is worthless in the SNOW .. you would be better off riding your bike.. it goes nowhere. Probably the worst car in history in the snow ... anyways that's not what I bought it for.. so I have an old jeep to get me around in that weather. If you are going to store it I suggest taking it out for a once a week cruise when the weather is clear and get it up to a good tempeture (20 min drive or so) .
Old 05-20-2005, 07:51 AM
grifferjr

Originally Posted by ind
Or do you store it? If you store it, how often is it recommended to start/refresh the engine over the winter season?
Z with snow tires like the Blizzacks and I can say hands down:

Its the BEST SNOW CAR I have ever had!!!!

Seriously, it handled fine and I was able to enjoy it year round. I cant afford a good other car. Instead of worrying about a winter beater that may not start up, just drop some bucks into snow tires. You will not regret it.

I know in ohio we arent blizzard type winters but you have to remember that in dec of this past year we got nailed with almost 30 inches at one time. The Z never skipped a beat!!!
Old 05-20-2005, 08:33 AM
palmerwmd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of threads from people complainign the Z is a bad car in winter because they choose to drive it on the stock ( SUMMER performance ) tires.

As we all know a such a tire loses its coeffcient of friction in anything under 55F.
It almsot June hre yet with teh unseasanably cool weather (low 50's at nite) too colnd to drive on perf tires at nite.

Use proper winter tires, even if no snow, is needed then th eZ is a great winter car.

Fred..
Old 05-20-2005, 10:45 AM
NiSmO21z

Thumbs down Winter.....

Ok...in winter til it snows. I got stuck in snow once. 3 of my friends were pushin me til I caught sum grip. After that. Didn't take out if it snowed for 2min. Other than that ur fine. Snow and Stock tires don't go together on a Z.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:57 PM
theonetheonly

In snow with snow tires the car is fine.
BTW...Snow tires for a sports car are not cheap.