Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decisions – Decisions | 350Z or G35C

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2002, 06:18 PM
Derrick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Decisions – Decisions | 350Z or G35C

Well folks I finally had the opportunity to test drive both the Z and C back to back…….MT of course!

I have a big problem….. I love them both!

I like them both for the different roles they play and can’t make up my mind…
G35C luxury sport…..chock full interior nicesities…
350Z sports car…. Limited frills – more performance tuning in the future etc….

Is anyone else thinking about purchasing either? Also, I’m looking for some feedback either way….
Old 11-30-2002, 06:20 PM
ToddLuc

I think both vehicles are excellent.

I chose the 350Z (which I have now). As you pointed out, the G35 is more of a luxury car, while the 350Z is a pure sports car.

If you need 4 seats and luxury, I would go with the G35.

If you only need 2 seats, and want an adrenaline rush, go with the 350Z.

Both are excellent,
Todd
Old 11-30-2002, 06:24 PM
nosuchsol

Great cars in both respects... I'd go for either if you have the money to pick and choose. I want a Z for many reasons... =D but would settle for the G35c.
Old 11-30-2002, 09:12 PM
kroams

A few days ago I took a trip to both Nissan and Infiniti. Although I saw the G35 Coupe at the auto show, its not the same seeing it on the lot. I must say I was much more excited seeing the Z rather than the G35 Coupe. The coupe was of course more luxurious and had some of the softest leather seats I have ever felt, but the G35 just doesn't have the same feeling of intensity. Its just a newer car in the line of Acura CL's and BMW 330Ci's. Although the coupe is a great looking car, I can just see it becoming mundane once the newness wears off. There is just something timeless about this new Z since its such a bold design. For someone looking for a BMW coupe alternative then you can't go wrong with the Infiniti, but the Z is in a totally different sports car world.
Old 12-01-2002, 02:54 AM
z461

Originally posted by kroams
A few days ago I took a trip to both Nissan and Infiniti. Although I saw the G35 Coupe at the auto show, its not the same seeing it on the lot. I must say I was much more excited seeing the Z rather than the G35 Coupe. The coupe was of course more luxurious and had some of the softest leather seats I have ever felt, but the G35 just doesn't have the same feeling of intensity. Its just a newer car in the line of Acura CL's and BMW 330Ci's. Although the coupe is a great looking car, I can just see it becoming mundane once the newness wears off. There is just something timeless about this new Z since its such a bold design. For someone looking for a BMW coupe alternative then you can't go wrong with the Infiniti, but the Z is in a totally different sports car world.
Well said... The Z is full sports car, the G35 Coupe is sort of a compromise. I've driven both and had both pre-ordered. The G35C is definately heavier, and feels slower. It has more luxuries however... One interesting thing to note though, is that the G doesn't ride much softer than the Z.
Old 12-01-2002, 04:52 AM
Habiib

Well I'm on the same boat. Curse Nissan for building these two cars!!! When I option both cars out the way I want to, they are with ~70 dollars of each other. I've sat in both, and I still cannot make my mind up (I HATE BEING A GEMINI.). I noticed that the G35C sits a little higher and has better leather than the touring Z. The Z however looks more aggressive. Looks like I'll have to flip a coin.

Here's how I optioned them out:

G35C - 6spd, Leather, Sunroof, Aero Package, Side Moldings, Splash Guard = 34,485

Z - Touring, FloorMats, Splash Guards, Aerodynamics Package = 34,406.

My only let down was that a fully loaded Touring Z is 37K+ dollars I thought that was a little bit out of my price range.

Since my car is running fine now though, I think I will wait and see what Nissan is going to do to each model. Knowing them if someone comes out with a faster/more powerful car, I get the feeling they will boost the HP in the middle of the model year.
Old 12-01-2002, 05:00 AM
Garp

Default G35c, a nice car, but...

Well..you have to ask what you want that backseat for....I'm 5'9" and could not straighten my neck without my head touching the rear glass. I drove a 35c yesterday; I've driven four Z's in recent weeks, and wanted a direct comparison. I like the feel, but it is a completely different car than the Z. I considered it so my 6 year old grandson could ride in the backseat.

I must add that I was totally turned off by the "upscale Infiniti" shopping experience. The dealer had several 35c's and each I saw had about $1,300 worth of "dealer added stuff....wind deflector, paint protection, plastic film nose cover, etc." He referred to it as MSRP (as opposed to "DSRP"). I'd rather see an honest "market adjustment" than play that foolish game of dealer add-ons....especially at a "luxury" car dealership. The Infiniti is a fine auto and needs no dealer-decided junk to enhance its quality or functionality.

Finally he indicated that part of the price was negotiable...if I'd buy "then".......

I've bought lots of cars and my Z should arrive in two weeks. I expect to driving a new Z.
Old 12-01-2002, 05:59 AM
pacco

On the performance matchup, I think you'll have to drive very hard too appreciate the difference, so I would'nt let that sway you, I would ask are you going to regret those extras if you the get Z?

For me the Z is the Porsche I can afford, Im into the Z's heritage and racing and performance, so Im driving the Z vrs the G35C w/ no regrets.

I do like those cool clocks on the infintis however.

Best of Luck.
Ed
Old 12-01-2002, 09:44 AM
jimflash

In the Jan., 2003 publication, Motor Trend reported timing the Z from 0-60 at 5.72, GC at 5.83. These times were taken at the same facility, presumably on the same day by the same testers, taking many of the variables out of the equation. The GC is heavier but has a lower differential gear ratio and this seems to have leveled things up a bit. Reported 60-0 braking was Z at 121 feet (looks like the Touring model, not the Track model was tested), GC at 112 feet. The Track Z would surely match/exceed the GC braking. Not such a big performance difference after all based on these findings.

This is a Z forum and if you go to a G forum you will see the opposite bias. IMO the two cars are very close to each other. Both are slightly heavy for sports cars, with the Z being more sporty than the GC. As weights fall in competitors cars you begin to see a go-kart feeling emerge (as in the S-2000) and this is something I don't want in my daily driver. Both the Z and the GC are great cars and unless you have a need for the small extra room and back seat of the GC, you can't make a mistake either way. I am going with the GC because I need the little bit of extra flexibility and I prefer the appearance. (The Z logo is over-applied and the GC lines just fit my eye better.) I drove both and found that the Z had a stiffer/bouncier ride. z461 found they were the same . . . you need to see for yourself. Good luck and enjoy the car!
Old 12-01-2002, 10:19 AM
Them Bones

Originally posted by jimflash
(The Z logo is over-applied and the GC lines just fit my eye better.)
You took the words right out of my mouth. I noticed the logo thing the first time I saw the Z up close. It's almost to the point of being gimmicky.

Someone else said the Z's styling is "bold and daring". Are you sure? It is what it is - a great value in a sports car. BUT, is it really that much more than Nissan's version of the Eclipse? The headlights, the grille, the roof...hmmm.

I think both the Z and the G35 will look dated in a few years. I don't really care and will be buying one or the other. Too many people are buying these cars for appearance/image alone. You can tell because of all the complaints about ride, noise, interior room, etc. It's the performance that excites me - decent power, RWD, six speed manual at a price I can afford.

The choice between the two really sholdn't be that difficult. Don't buy the G because of the back seat and don't buy the Z because you think it will perform a lot better. Drive both and decide which "feel" you like better. It should be apparent after 10-15 minutes of driving. If you can't tell a difference in feel, just buy the one you think looks better. If you can't live with a sports car, don't buy either!

-TB
Old 12-02-2002, 02:23 PM
Delirium

the reason I like the G35 more than the Z is:
sunroof (biggie)
trunk

Other than that, I love the Z!

Also, is the insurance on a G35C lower than on a Z?
Old 12-02-2002, 02:40 PM
robbyn
Charter Member #79

I went thought the same agonizing decision you are going through now. I have two children (9 and 12), so the back seat of the C would have been nice. I decided to stick with the Z, however, because we already have a Maxima which we use as our family car, and I want a sports car, not a sports sedan. Now that I have the Z, I don't question my decision for a moment. I think, however, that had I gotten the C, I would have always wondered if I made the right choice.
Old 12-02-2002, 03:12 PM
qirex

Yup its a tuff call.

The reason I went with the Z was after my test drive...I was in love.

Granted I only sat in a G35c and didnt test it.

I traded in a honda prelude and thought I'd miss the back seats and sunroof more, but the Z has such great headroom (more than the G) for my 6'2" self that i really dont miss it. The 2+ 2 issue, my wife is going to get a car in a few months and guess what?? she wants a G!!

If my prelude didnt have mechanical issues and I could have gotten a G 6MT I would have gone that route...however, There were no 6MT to be had and for me that made the decision an easy one.

In terms of the styling,...IMO Z hands down. The G is an *elegant* car, it looks GREAT. However, the Z looks reallyt edgy while still being IMO Timeless. People at work see me dri9ving up and ask me when I got the porsche...they dont beleive its a nissan!

The Z has a very agressive side profile and I guess when I look long enough It really does look like a 996 carrera.

Out