2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"SLIP" light comes on when driving normal

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 05:50 AM
seanlaw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my slip, vdc came on today and stayed on...this morning it was around 50 which is colder than it has been since early spring. i have a feeling that the tire pressures changed because of the cold lending to the problem that the diameters of the wheels changed from stock leading to the lights coming on.

another wierd thing...my brake light came on for a few seconds then went off...that is what is confusing me...
Old 09-28-2005, 06:14 AM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by seanlaw
my slip, vdc came on today and stayed on...this morning it was around 50 which is colder than it has been since early spring. i have a feeling that the tire pressures changed because of the cold lending to the problem that the diameters of the wheels changed from stock leading to the lights coming on.

another wierd thing...my brake light came on for a few seconds then went off...that is what is confusing me...
Check the brake fluid level. If it's low, it will turn these lights ON in the car.

Low brake fluid = worn pads
Old 09-28-2005, 10:12 AM
bt_22

I had the same thing happen to me on the way home from the tire place. I was going about 80 and the slip light came on and the throttle cut off. This car has 870 miles so it can't be fluid.

They took off my stock 17's and put on some 19's. They re-installed the sensors on the new wheels. What do you think is going on? And more importantly, what do I have to do so this doesn't happen again? Thank you!
Old 09-28-2005, 10:27 AM
seanlaw

i'll check the pads and fluid tonight...considering that my inspection was done by my friend and he just passed me he probably didn't even look at the pads...

on second thought too, nissan just changed my oil last week and should have checked my fluids...so it could very well be the pads (after only 28k mi...yikes)

thanks for the info everyone
Old 09-28-2005, 10:47 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Several months ago I got new tires: 225 for the front and 235 for the rear. After installation, I had problems with SLIP. Serous problems. SLIP would shut down the car, and I’d have to pull to the side of the road, and restart the car.

After a day troubleshooting at the dealership, they solved the problem: there was one 225 and one 235 on each axle.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:51 AM
davidv

Originally Posted by damoniusmonk
I got a new tire on one side on the rear and I got the slip light a few times on a good surface. I figured that the new tire was slightly stickier and was spinning a hair less than the worn tire. I don't get the light at all anymore, just when the tire was brand new.

How does this help you, you ask? Methinks it may be one tire spinning just a hair more than the other even though you don't feel it or hear it. Hope this helps.
Your situation is not unusual. SLIP is sensitive to different diameter tires, even one new a one worn. More specifically, the tires rotate at different RPMs which SLIP interprets as “spinning.”
Old 09-28-2005, 10:53 AM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davidv
After a day troubleshooting at the dealership, they solved the problem: there was one 225 and one 235 on each axle.
What ??? Mouwahaha

Pretty expensive trouble shooting for the dealer !
Old 09-28-2005, 11:08 AM
davidv

Originally Posted by Kolia
What ??? Mouwahaha

Pretty expensive trouble shooting for the dealer !
The dealer was perplexed, and kept the Z overnight. The technician did some diagnostics, and sent the results to Nissan Corporation. Nissan engineers looked at the diagnostics, and said “impossible.” That’s when the technician checked the tires sizes. Nissan charged me one hour labor ($90). After all, the wrong tires on the wrong axle is not a warranty repair.

Took the car back to NTB. They put the correct tires on the correct wheels on the correct axle, and reimbursed me the $90. Lesson learned: whatever can possibly go wrong will.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:37 PM
ChunKy350Z

guys when i get the VDC off and just slam the pedal .. if i change the gear from 2nd to 3rd it's get a little bit slower than the normal shifting it's like the rpm move's slowly not going fast it's like it's stuck or something then it's get back normaly that's also for the 4th !! but sometimes it's changes very well and the SLIP :@ just kick in when i want to listen to my car 3rd tire chippin time
Old 09-28-2005, 05:06 PM
seanlaw

ok well i figured out the tire pressures must have changed my diameters just enough to set the slip/vdc lights on....

i still can't figure out why my brake light comes on at wot nearing redline...it blinks like the 'change gear soon' light...on then off.

my guess is that the fluid in the container gets pushed back just enough to set off the sensor from g force?!?!