Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Static Shock

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 03:34 PM
elms350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man you should see the look on peoples faces everytime I get out of my car. I dread the few seconds before I have to touch my door handle(I have a Super Black can't leave finger prints on the paint) and get that blast of loving from my Z. If only they knew....But I'll have to try that kick plate thing, im really starting to hate the shock.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:35 PM
MIDENGINE3SGTE

When I get out of the car I just use my wallet to close the door. I was thinking of geting a grounding strap that just hangs from under the car and touches the road
Old 06-22-2005, 04:44 PM
MADDOG`

As you slide out, keep your hand on the door. This will keep you grounded and the static passes to the car without "Z"apping you. My Z "Z"apped me too until I figured this out.

If you have cloth seats you can spray them with that clothing anti-static stuff.

Now ain't that just ironic???? gettin' "Z"apped by a Z...lol
Old 06-22-2005, 05:50 PM
ZRA

Cool

Try some braided copper straps and attach them to the frame on the bottom of the car. Make sure they touch the ground. This should remove the static charge on the car. I've seen these used before on various vehicles in the past. They will wear with use and need to be replaced.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:02 PM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I have had my Z a year now and have never experienced this problem. Yeh, I've driven it every way possible, and have no routine exit (touch). I have heard of this problem in other threads, and find it curious.

Perhaps certain options like leather seats or floor mats (made of a certain material) make a difference?

Last edited by JCat; 06-22-2005 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:11 PM
Dream

Originally Posted by VeeTec
Yeah, that makes a more concentrated point of current, and still shocks the crap out of you. In fact, while my finger didn't get the full jolt, I felt the shock halfway up my arm, and the spark looked about 5 times brighter.

The best thing to do is to touch the door frame, or kick plate, as you are getting out. You stay grounded, then when you shut the door there is no discharge.
I guess maybe some people don't want to feel anything at all, as opposed to my method where you feel the current but the actual shock doesn't hurt. I don't think my method hurts, but hey, whatever floats your boat. I've tried holding onto the door as I got out, and that sort of worked in that I didn't get shocked by the car. But the second I touched something else conductive, I got shocked anyway.

This is all a moot point for me, as I moved back to Hawaii where the climate protects me
Old 06-22-2005, 08:05 PM
MethodRN
For Sale

I hated it when I got shocked. Some of them were so strong that my wife could hear the snap from the passenger side. I do the touching the side sill before exiting and that seems to have cut down on the shocks. I also wear one of those bands (like the live strong ones) and sometimes I use my wrist and the band to close the door.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:15 PM
showstoppertk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in hawaii and I've got the same problem...and I must look like some mental case sometimes when I'm about to open a door or touch anything metal right after getting out of my car. Just about anything conductive I touch after I get out of my car shocks me....my gfriend just thinks its funny till I shock her. The only thing I've done that helps is sorta the same as everyone else. I hold onto the inside of the door until I've closed it, then I mess with my keys for a bit before I put them in my pocket. I don't know if it really helps, but it makes me less fidgity now when I go to touch something metal after getting out of the car.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:49 AM
Dream

Originally Posted by showstoppertk
I live in hawaii and I've got the same problem...and I must look like some mental case sometimes when I'm about to open a door or touch anything metal right after getting out of my car. Just about anything conductive I touch after I get out of my car shocks me....my gfriend just thinks its funny till I shock her. The only thing I've done that helps is sorta the same as everyone else. I hold onto the inside of the door until I've closed it, then I mess with my keys for a bit before I put them in my pocket. I don't know if it really helps, but it makes me less fidgity now when I go to touch something metal after getting out of the car.
I think it might also have something to do with the clothes/shoes you wear. I never have problems here, where I usually wear slippers and shorts, but I always had problems back in Nebraska during the winter when I wore my coat and boots. Try gently touching a metal key to the metal of the door after you fully get out. Once you feel the current go out, you should be fine. At the very least, it sounds really cool when you hear the big zap-and-crackle sound. Alternatively, you could touch your gf with the metal key