Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

3 tickets in 1 night.... need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 11:01 PM
nlsqba

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 tickets in 1 night.... need help

Basically 3 days ago I crashed my front when I was racing. I hit a racoon and totaled my bumper and a few parts...

Ok, today I enter the highway (I-55) following the silver evo (plates: GET OWND) and we start going... it was pretty fun! The evo was faaast.. Then the fun stoped suddenly when I saw flashing lights. I thought she will only get the evo cause the cop was on evo's lane and I will just slowly drive away. But she showed me to pull over... and she did the same to evo She asked if I had fun and if I want to go to jail for reckless driving and smiled. She took my license and insurance card.

She came back with three tickets:
1) speeding 85 on 55 zone
2) improper line usage
3) following too closely

The method used is: MARKED (?)

I need to go to court in Skokie (like 30 miles away froom where I live). Thats BS cause the incident happend in Chicago and I live in Chicago. And I should go to court in Chicago not in some Skokie.

Now my question is what is this marked method? I guess it was not a radar cause my V1 didnt get off... and probably the evo's detector didnt get off either cause he would have slowed down. And if she didnt use a radar she would not be able to tell my exact speed... (85??)

The second question is do you know any tricks/tips to fight those tickets... I dont want to get the lawer because I am kinda short of $$$. I have a $1k bill for the bumper and parts after the 1st incident.

I would really appreciate your help.

Last edited by nlsqba; 07-02-2005 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:04 PM
DRFT86

Next time dont street race and you wont have this problem..
Old 07-02-2005, 11:51 PM
The Liu Man

Get a good lawyer.

edit: Actually on second thought, you might not need one.. unless your license is gonna get revoked. I know in Virginia if you go 20 above the speed limit, your license is automatically revoked. But do fight it and go to court.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:59 PM
DBZ33

I lived in Skokie until a few months ago. I got pulled over for the same thing a few years ago and I had a good lawyer. I didn't even have to see the judge. My lawyer called someone he knew in the court and came back with my license 3mo supervision. If you get a good lawyer you will be fine. Good Luck...
Old 07-03-2005, 01:20 AM
Sensation350Z

You`d think after crashing once street racing you`d learn your lesson. Apparently not.

If you can`t pay for a lawyer, try to fight it yourself [aka pray the cop doesnt show to court]. Because otherwise it`s just your word against his/hers.
Old 07-03-2005, 01:25 AM
VQ35DEV6

Your lucky your not in CA, you get caught for "speed contest" and you can get your car cubed, license suspended, and a heavy fine on top of that. Not sure what the laws are in chicago, but if you get caught here, its not pretty. Good luck.
Old 07-03-2005, 04:17 AM
ken350z

There's a book about this that I read years ago. I think it was called, "How to beat the radar tax". Or something like that.

It's full of things like requesting the officers training records, the radars calibration records, the certification of the officer that trained the officer that gasve you the ticket, etc. These are things that they must provide and usually don't causing it to to be thrown out of court.
Old 07-03-2005, 05:08 AM
nlsqba

What is this MARKED method? I've been looking for it but cant find the description..
Old 07-03-2005, 05:17 AM
JRinTXrog

You asked what marked was? I would guess it is where there is something like two poles that are a certain number of feet or a certain number of like a tenth of a mile apart. how fast you go thru them, the police do a caculation and they frigure out how fast you were going. We have had so many people killed street racing in San Antonio, if you had gotten caught here you would have gone directly to jail, and probably gotten you license suspended plus a very hevy fine. They are tough here.
Old 07-03-2005, 05:48 AM
tekk

i dont know the answer to your question, but consider yourself lucky. in many states with many other cops you could have been in a LOT more trouble than that. you could lose your license, have your car impounded, even see jail time....
Old 07-03-2005, 06:20 AM
nlsqba

Originally Posted by JRinTXrog
You asked what marked was? I would guess it is where there is something like two poles that are a certain number of feet or a certain number of like a tenth of a mile apart. how fast you go thru them, the police do a caculation and they frigure out how fast you were going. We have had so many people killed street racing in San Antonio, if you had gotten caught here you would have gone directly to jail, and probably gotten you license suspended plus a very hevy fine. They are tough here.
If thats the case she was not able to calculate the speed accurately. The incident happened around 11pm and the highway was relatively bussy at that time. So she could not see me - nor the evo - (while measuring our times) passing points A and B to calculate our speed. Her estimate (MARKED calculation) would exceed human brain ability to do such calculations. Its not common for average-IQ-person to track two different objects and measure their times accurately. I also have to add that sometimes we were using different lanes... and sometime we were on one.

Lets say her points A and B were 1/10 of a mile apart.
1) speed: 85 mph => 1 mile = 42.35 sec => 1/10mile = 4.235 sec.
2) speed: 90 mph => 1 mile = 40.00 sec => 1/10mile = 4.00 sec.
3) speed: 80 mph => 1 mile = 45.00 sec => 1/10mile = 4.50 sec.

1 sec = +/- 22.5mph => thats a lot of room for error!!!

The next thing is that if she was sitting still in her car she would not be able to tell exactly when I passed point A or B (or both of them). And if she was driving it would be even harder - cause she had to observe me (1) the evo (2), point A or B (3), and the traffic if she was driving (4) => 4 variables.

My best guess would be that she was sitting somewhere inbetween points A and B (on the right side of the h-way =>1 ticket is for inproper line usage; I was passing cars on the exit-lane)- but then her visability would be impaired due to the traffic. And she would not be able to see when we passed at elast one of the points used in her estimate.

regarding ticket number 2: following too closely: I guess there is this 2 second rule... another BS ticket. I was not on his a$$... nor on any other different car

I know I was speeding and I take the full responsibilty for this act- but 2 of 3 tickets are just based on her estimate and are not exact. I know I was lucky cause she could put 95 miles and put me to jail for reckless driving (I think in Chicago it is +40 to consider it reckless).

Last edited by nlsqba; 07-03-2005 at 06:28 AM.
Old 07-03-2005, 06:31 AM
DarkBob

It's possible she simply pulled up behind you, matched your speed, and looked at her (calibrated) speedometer. Radar detectors are useless if you're not also looking. At any rate, lesson learned. Save it for the track.

Go to court, tell them you learned your lesson, and beg forgiveness.

B.
Old 07-03-2005, 07:08 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Another young one that doesn't need a Z. Just curious how old are you are? You ready for your insurance to drop you or quadruple?
Old 07-03-2005, 07:54 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Illinois has mandatory car insurance so they also have a classification called "assigned risk" ... a few hundred dollars a month.

If dad bought the Z it's possible that he'll pick up the tab on the insurance too.

Old 07-03-2005, 08:16 AM
nlsqba

Originally Posted by zand02max
Another young one that doesn't need a Z. Just curious how old are you are? You ready for your insurance to drop you or quadruple?
1. My age: 24;
2. Z=sports car. If you are buying a Z to drive <55miles its just being SNOBBISH. Z is not a comfortable car, it is not also a practical car => ITS A SPORTS CAR! In my opinion Z is not meant for an "older" man in his middle life crisis thats wants to improve his self-esteem and buys a sports car preferably convertable one Sorry if this sounds ignorant...

I am not trying to justify what I did - but you are not paying for my Z and you do not have the right to say whether I need a Z or not. Its my OWN money I have the right ot decide how I spend it on my own.

Personally I do not think 85miles on a highway is a lot. You have to know that speed limits were made cause of the oil crisis. It is not proved that slower speeds=less accidents. Just look at germany and their autobann's... there is no speed limit and the least amount of accidents! I think it is more dangerous to drive while talking on a phone is some SUV then driving +30miles in a sports car when just paying attention to the road. Just my $0.02

Last edited by nlsqba; 07-03-2005 at 08:20 AM.
Old 07-03-2005, 08:19 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by nlsqba
1. My age: 24;
2. Z=sports car. If you are buying a Z to drive <55miles its just being SNOBBISH. Z is not a comfortable car, it is not also a practical car => ITS A SPORTS CAR! In my opinion Z is not meant for an "older" man in his middle life crisis thats wants to improve his self-esteem and buys a sports car preferably convertable one Sorry if this sounds ignorant...

I am not trying to justify what I did - but you are not paying for my Z and you do not have the right to say whether I need a Z or not. Its my OWN money I have the right ot decide how I spend it on my own.

Personally I do not think 85miles on a highway is a lot. You have to know that speed were made cause of the oil crisis. It is not proved that slower speeds=less excidents. Just look at germany and their autobann's... there is no speed limit and the least amount of accidents! I think it is more dangerous to drive while talking on a phone is some SUV then driving +30miles in a sports car when just paying attention to the road. Just my $0.02
Yeah okay young Jedi. You have lots to learn, LOTS!

Z is a sports car, but does that mean you go out and race other cars with it, uhm, NO!

Let me know how much your insurance raised because of this stupidity on your part. Your lucky you didn't get cited for racing.

Am I telling you how to spend your money, well maybe since you have to get your car fixed and pay a bunch of fines,

Its people like you who get other innocent people killed by trying to race someone on a public roadway!

And no, my Z is not my mid life crisis car and never driven above 55.

24, you sound like 16!

<<<<<<<<<<<Charles is SNOBBISH!

Last edited by zand02max; 07-03-2005 at 08:24 AM.
Old 07-03-2005, 08:20 AM
palmerwmd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DRFT86
Next time dont street race and you wont have this problem..
Way to help out...
Old 07-03-2005, 08:21 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by palmerwmd
Way to help out...
I'll help out, Don't street race and maybe he would not be in this situation!

Last edited by zand02max; 07-03-2005 at 08:24 AM.
Old 07-03-2005, 08:25 AM
palmerwmd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zand02max
I'll help out, Don't stareet race and maybe he would not be in this situation!
Sports Cars are meant to be driven fast and yes raced

Its been a real henhouse around here lately..

Fred..
Old 07-03-2005, 08:25 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by palmerwmd
Sports Cars are meant to be driven fast and yes raced

Its been a real henhouse around here lately..

Fred..
On the TRACK, you must be his cousin!

Quick Reply: 3 tickets in 1 night.... need help