Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

REGRET- What mods have you regreted/ changed and why?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 02:53 AM
FritzMan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jrforrester
dude that rack is awesome! seriously, the ones ive found are sooo ugly and they hang off the back real weird.. where did you get that one??
It's a Delta Hunch rack.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:03 AM
Road Warrior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hate to say it but...aam spacer. great performance gains but the leaking and lack of correct bolt sizes made me regret getting the kit. i have since gone to the crawford and have no regrets.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:59 AM
quint1

Regret - AEM CAI, pulled to much moisture in wet weather
Cheap after market rims (17")

Swopped to - JWT P-Chgr, glad I did
Volk GT-7 (20")
Old 10-14-2006, 09:17 AM
first350

Originally Posted by FritzMan
nice...any idea of a weight limit? (either for the rack or the rear hatch window) I had use my old ski racks to carry 2 of my track wheels (the other 2 fit inside), but it left small rubbing marks on the roof (nothing a little wax didn't take car of though).

**I've seen the porsche guys come with a similar rack that moutns over their hatch window...they can carry all 4 wheels on theirs ~ so jealous!

Old 10-14-2006, 02:36 PM
BlackSpec02

that's genius!
Old 10-14-2006, 02:43 PM
thirty5ounces

Eventually we will regret all of our mods, in 15 years i would have to say 90% of wont even have a Z.....and if we would have only saved the money instead
Old 10-14-2006, 02:45 PM
BlackSpec02

Originally Posted by thirty5ounces
Eventually we will regret all of our mods, in 15 years i would have to say 90% of wont even have a Z.....and if we would have only saved the money instead
Maybe true about not owning the Z, but I dont regret my mods, even the ones I didnt like or changed all taught me about something. This is a lifestyle choice and my biggest hobby. I wouldn't take back a single dollar spent.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:20 PM
thirty5ounces

Originally Posted by BlackSpec02
Maybe true about not owning the Z, but I dont regret my mods, even the ones I didnt like or changed all taught me about something. This is a lifestyle choice and my biggest hobby. I wouldn't take back a single dollar spent.

very true, this is also my hobby, i just know my feelings wont be the same in 15 years. This is also not going to stop me from modding and enjoying my hobby...
Old 10-16-2006, 06:32 AM
Road Warrior

i hope to have my z forever....yes a big word but true

about the mods, i know i learned therefore i regret even though i enjoyed putting them in. i believe the intent of the thread was so that other people would not make the same mistakes. i could have saved time and money knowing what to do beforehand. anyways, thats just my opinion.

Old 10-16-2006, 02:45 PM
BlackSpec02

Originally Posted by Road Warrior
i hope to have my z forever....yes a big word but true

about the mods, i know i learned therefore i regret even though i enjoyed putting them in. i believe the intent of the thread was so that other people would not make the same mistakes. i could have saved time and money knowing what to do beforehand. anyways, thats just my opinion.
Im with you, I was just responding to what was said about everyone regreting ALL mods eventually... I love this thread.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:59 PM
halfass872

Couldn't of said it better!!! My co-workers think i'm crazy. I'm at work all week, and only get to drive my Z a bit on the weekends and that's it! And they ask why i would pay $400.00 a month only to have a few hours a week in it! But everyone has a hobby, and most if not all hobbys can be expensive. But i doub't few can give the rush the Z can! Weather you are driving her hard, or just taking a trip through the city, all waxed up! Then at the end of the weekend, i put her in the garage, and eagerly look forward tll the next time i get a chance to drive her!
Old 10-16-2006, 03:36 PM
woodstock300s

i regret doing a custom audio system, so i ripped it out after 3 months =)
Old 10-17-2006, 03:27 AM
FritzMan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by first350
nice...any idea of a weight limit? (either for the rack or the rear hatch window) I had use my old ski racks to carry 2 of my track wheels (the other 2 fit inside), but it left small rubbing marks on the roof (nothing a little wax didn't take car of though).

**I've seen the porsche guys come with a similar rack that moutns over their hatch window...they can carry all 4 wheels on theirs ~ so jealous!
Here's my Solo2 setup.

The rack is designed to handle two bike which could easily weigh 30+ each. I've safely carried two 17x9 with 275/40/17 V710 on the hatch with no prob. The other two tires go in the spare wheel well and behind the passenger seat.

I do make sure the lower pads rest on the metal hatch rather than the glass.

The best part about this setup is that mileage doesn't suffer that bad and there isn't much wind noise.
Attached Thumbnails REGRET- What mods have you regreted/ changed and why?-tirecarrier2.jpg   REGRET- What mods have you regreted/ changed and why?-tirecarrier3.jpg  

Last edited by FritzMan; 10-17-2006 at 03:31 AM.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:03 PM
wizurd

I got my car with the Nismo exhaust, grounding kit, and lightweight flywheel already installed so I can't regret any of those! The flywheel is kind of annoying sometimes but I used to drive a really loud 2.0 MkIII Golf that makes my Z feel, drive, and look like a Porsche lol.

I just installed my Popcharger tonight and I don't regret it. Sounds good, might be a tiny bit quicker, was easy to install, and cheap!
Old 11-13-2006, 02:00 PM
emtae

Originally Posted by halfass872
Couldn't of said it better!!! My co-workers think i'm crazy. I'm at work all week, and only get to drive my Z a bit on the weekends and that's it! And they ask why i would pay $400.00 a month only to have a few hours a week in it! But everyone has a hobby, and most if not all hobbys can be expensive. But i doub't few can give the rush the Z can! Weather you are driving her hard, or just taking a trip through the city, all waxed up! Then at the end of the weekend, i put her in the garage, and eagerly look forward tll the next time i get a chance to drive her!
My drive to work takes me only 3 minutes. Not even enough time for the heated seats to warm up. But it's still worth the $$ to do it in a Z
Old 11-15-2006, 06:54 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Regret: Having too much fun with the VDC off! Need new rear tire in less than a year and 20k miles.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:00 PM
Tru350z

I regret getting my nismo rear spoiler on my car!!!! looks good but SOOO heavy and the trunk wont stay up when its cold outside.
KJR pulley didn't feel any gains from my butt dyno =(

Love my pop charger, volk, hotchkis sways, crawford pletnum, JIC ypipe, megan TP and snow tires on my 17's =)
Old 12-06-2006, 04:26 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

First off, I wish I had not gotten a Z. It is a money pit. I wish I had opted for the conservative 02 Maxima and been happy with the extra space... anyway.

1. I regret installing a system in my car. It started with 2 10s. I ended up with navigation, 3 or 4 sets of high end comps, expensive amps and spending wayyyy too much for a poor install.

2. Regret driving without anything(no spare tire or plastics) in trunk on a wet road, down hill. Spun out after I let off the gas, the rear end broke loose and sent me into a curb. This led me to buying a set of Volks. Wish I had saved my money and just gone with Nismos rims.

3. Went from Base to G35 Brembos. Should have saved my money and invested in some new pads.

4. EVER trying to put a body kit on. Paid a crap load for what ended up being a waste of time. I started down this road 6 months ago, I am still not done.

5. Test Pipes. Way too loud with the nismo exhaust. Also, a pain to install in Texas in the summer.

What I don't regret:
Nismo exhaust-sounds like stock but louder.
Popcharger-sounds mean.
Navigation-great for finding places where I don't have an address.
Better tires-good for not spinning out in the rain.
Tint-looks better IMO
Tokico D-Specs and Tein S-Techs- I wish I had done this from the very start. Stock feel, but better. Not harsh. I would almost say confidence inspiring?

Last edited by Ahsmo; 12-06-2006 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:42 PM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsmo
First off, I wish I had not gotten a Z. It is a money pit. I wish I had opted for the conservative 02 Maxima and been happy with the extra space... anyway.

1. I regret installing a system in my car. It started with 2 10s. I ended up with navigation, 3 or 4 sets of high end comps, expensive amps and spending wayyyy too much for a poor install.

2. Regret driving without anything(no spare tire or plastics) in trunk on a wet road, down hill. Spun out after I let off the gas, the rear end broke loose and sent me into a curb. This led me to buying a set of Volks. Wish I had saved my money and just gone with Nismos rims.

3. G35 Brembos. Should have saved my money and invested in some new pads.

4. EVER trying to put a body kit on. Paid a crap load for what ended up being a waste of time. I started down this road 6 months ago, I am still not done.

5. Test Pipes. Way too loud with the nismo exhaust. Also, a pain to install in Texas in the summer.

What I don't regret:
Nismo exhaust-sounds like stock but louder.
Popcharger-sounds mean.
Navigation-great for finding places where I don't have an address.
Better tires-good for not spinning out in the rain.
Tint-looks better IMO
Tokico D-Specs and Tein S-Techs- I wish I had done this from the very start. Stock feel, but better. Not harsh. I would almost say confidence inspiring?

Wow.
Money pit. You are correct.

Just wondering, did you swap the stock brakes for G35 brembos? Is that what you meant? The high cost of doing so has prevented me from progressing to a non-regular brake system - I just changed the pads. Do you mean that the difference to you, between stock and brembos, is not worth the cost?

I have the NISMO and it is a great sounding exhaust, and it does suck with TPs (even with turbos strapped on).
Old 12-06-2006, 04:42 PM
plumpzz

My exhausts. I went thru 3 exhausts and the one I have is good loud. But cops dont like it, so im changing out the mufflers ><

Stock
Stock + TP
APS
APS + TP
Stock + TP
SVRT 2.5 X Pipe
Hybrid SVRT + MAGNAFLOW?!?

Quick Reply: REGRET- What mods have you regreted/ changed and why?