Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

WTF...TPS Warning light?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 10:31 AM
Mendy9677

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF...TPS Warning light?

OK, so I have a 2005 base. I was almost positive that it didn't come with TPS sensors. I now have aftermarket rims on, and I definitely didn't have TPS sensors put in them. But the last couple of days my TPS warning light in my car has been going on. Anyone have any idea why?
Old 07-30-2005, 10:35 AM
HarvesterUT
Premier Member

dunno. i have an 05 enthus and i took my TPS sensors off when i put my wheels on. the light never comes on...but i have noticed that if i brake fairly quickly from a higher speed it comes on. happens all the time when i drive between houston and austin
Old 07-30-2005, 10:50 AM
gatti-man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all Z's come with TPS and that warning light can come on even without the tps being there. Dont know why or what to do about it though. Contact your dealer and see what they say.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:52 PM
The Mike

All Z's do not come with tps sensors. If you have one that you bought with tps sensors and you take them off... you will get the tps low tire pressure light come on exactly after driving 30 miles after turning your car on, and it will reset when you turn your car off and happen all over again. Unless you drive 30 miles it will stay off and you will just have the dashes in your multi-guage if you look for your tire pressures. Since this guy bought a base Z I'm thinking that either A) It's not really a base but the tps sensors have been stripped b4 they sold it to him. Or B) It is a base but the dealership needs to just reprogram his car's computer because of some error.
Old 07-30-2005, 01:15 PM
Desimale

All the 05's came with tps. It was a standard feature. If you got new tires youll need to take it to your nissan shop to have them remount the tps.
Old 07-30-2005, 04:57 PM
Mendy9677

sounds like that is what happened, I probably did have TPS sensors, and since I put new rims wihtout transeferring them the light is coming on. I do only notice the light come on when i go for long drives (over 30 miules) and it does reset when i turn the car off. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-30-2005, 06:10 PM
ssc

ditto....all '05+ come with tps standard
Old 07-30-2005, 07:58 PM
The Mike

ahh, cool that they made it a standard feature since 05. Guess i was just speaking of 03 and 04.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:18 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, the amount of mis-information in this thread is amazing.

1. Yes, all '05s come with TPS.
2. No, if you had an earlier model year that doesn't include TPS, the light CANNOT come on because the receiver unit that would trip the light isn't in your car.
3. You can drive your car around all day long without the light ever coming on, if you're "stop and going", or even varying speeds between over and under some magic number that nobody seems to know. As an example, we just did a group drive that was at least 30 miles, my light never came on. It's because of the speed variance that this is true. That's why you hear so many different "stories" about the light coming on or not, it's because the driving patterns are different. Take your car out on the highway and drive steady at 60 MPH, that light will be on in 15-20 minutes. Drive around town for 4 hours, it will never come on.
Old 07-31-2005, 01:36 AM
The Mike

Originally Posted by kcobean

2. No, if you had an earlier model year that doesn't include TPS, the light CANNOT come on because the receiver unit that would trip the light isn't in your car.
3. You can drive your car around all day long without the light ever coming on, if you're "stop and going", or even varying speeds between over and under some magic number that nobody seems to know. As an example, we just did a group drive that was at least 30 miles, my light never came on. It's because of the speed variance that this is true. That's why you hear so many different "stories" about the light coming on or not, it's because the driving patterns are different. Take your car out on the highway and drive steady at 60 MPH, that light will be on in 15-20 minutes. Drive around town for 4 hours, it will never come on.
No, the 30 mile test is right, you're wrong, the end. That stands true if you had tps sensors to begin with. Other's have verified it.. I had it as a prob on mine as well. Misinformation should be your name kcobean. Ehh. i had to edit this... alcohol is making me obnoxious.. sorry about that last comment kcobean.. but you did say i was giving misinformation when i know i'm not.

Last edited by The Mike; 07-31-2005 at 01:40 AM.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:23 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kcobean

He is EXACTLY right. This is my experience as well. Got my aftermarket rims and 90 percent of the time I never see the TPS warning light. Sometimes on really long highway drives, I see it and it goes away when you shut down the car. The mileage isn't what sets it off but if they are continuous highway miles at a steady speed, I get the light but not always. I drove all the way to Columbus a few weekends ago and never saw it. That is a 200 mile drive by the way.

Also, simply going to the Nissan dealer to have the TPS remounted is easier said than done. First of all, he would have had to save his from his OEM tires/wheels and it doesn't sound like he did. Otherwise he'd have to buy four new ones from the dealer (or wherever). Second, the OEM TPS sensors can only be remounted on OEM wheels or on the Volks I believe. It isn't like they can be slapped onto ANY new wheel. I have seen threads where guys have rigged up ways to secure them onto other wheels but I'm not sure it would be worth it.
Old 07-31-2005, 04:40 PM
kcobean

Originally Posted by The Mike
No, the 30 mile test is right, you're wrong, the end. That stands true if you had tps sensors to begin with. Other's have verified it.. I had it as a prob on mine as well. Misinformation should be your name kcobean. Ehh. i had to edit this... alcohol is making me obnoxious.. sorry about that last comment kcobean.. but you did say i was giving misinformation when i know i'm not.
The end huh? Interesting....Well, there are hundreds of people on this forum with cars that had TPS but don't anymore due to aftermarket tires. Let's take this thread into the wheel/tire forum and see whose name should be Misinformation. You're pretty confident that you're in the right, so I'll let you make the post...put me in my place.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:21 PM
The Mike

heh, Well I'm only speaking from my own personal experience and a few others did notice the same behavior. Perhaps there is room for both of us to be right given that Nissan probably does change little things in car especially each year when they make a few tweaks. It was saturday night after clubbing and drinking ect... tonight is Sunday so let's just all get along
Old 08-01-2005, 05:33 AM
SkiTTlez

i as well have taken out the TPS due to new rims. i have NEVER seen the warning light, even on 2 drives of 200 miles++. i will not say everyone will experience this, b/c i have heard of people haveing the same year/model as me and seeing the light quite a bit.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:57 AM
Racer Z
Banned

I'm not even tryin' to be in this debate....nope nope!

I have a '05 Base and it has the Tire Pressure Monitors...To me, it's a god send! I can drive around and just push a button a find out what front/rear tire pressure is w/o doing it the old school way.

I'm not tryin' to spend big bucks and put on custom rims and/or pimp my ride....If anything..I would replace the OEM Wheels, which are nice IMO.

That being said, If I do replace either rims or get new tires for that matter.....Will the TPS have to be re-calibrated or anything?? If so, I wouldn't trust a Tires Plus or similar place to have the expertise to do that!
Old 08-01-2005, 06:48 AM
kcobean

Originally Posted by Racer Z
I'm not even tryin' to be in this debate....nope nope!

I have a '05 Base and it has the Tire Pressure Monitors...To me, it's a god send! I can drive around and just push a button a find out what front/rear tire pressure is w/o doing it the old school way.

I'm not tryin' to spend big bucks and put on custom rims and/or pimp my ride....If anything..I would replace the OEM Wheels, which are nice IMO.

That being said, If I do replace either rims or get new tires for that matter.....Will the TPS have to be re-calibrated or anything?? If so, I wouldn't trust a Tires Plus or similar place to have the expertise to do that!
As long as A) your new rims will accept the TPS sensors (which are integrated into the valve-stem), and b) you ensure that the the left-front sensor goes into the new left-front wheel, etc. you should not need to have any work done by the dealer.

Regarding A) above, Dr. Bonz is right. Many aftermarket wheels just aren't machined so that the sensor will seat into the valve-stem hole properly. That said, there is a company (HRE is the name, I believe) that makes something called a wrap band. It's basically a metal band with a special clamp that wraps around the center of the wheel and holds onto the sensor. I think with this system you'd have to associate a sensor to its' corner before mounting them because the special activation tool used to activate the sensor may not work with them mounted this way.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:49 AM
kcobean

Originally Posted by The Mike
heh, Well I'm only speaking from my own personal experience and a few others did notice the same behavior. Perhaps there is room for both of us to be right given that Nissan probably does change little things in car especially each year when they make a few tweaks. It was saturday night after clubbing and drinking ect... tonight is Sunday so let's just all get along
So I guess we won't be seeing your post in the wheel/tire section then?
Old 08-01-2005, 09:36 PM
corsair

Is there an easy way to determine which sensor is for the front left? I recently took them off of my wheels and did not think of marking them.

Last edited by corsair; 08-01-2005 at 09:44 PM.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:31 PM
The Mike

Originally Posted by corsair
Is there an easy way to determine which sensor is for the front left? I recently took them off of my wheels and did not think of marking them.

"Yep. You are correct. I never transferred my tps sensors cause i bought a whole new set of wheels/tires (without tps sensors) and
the light comes on every 30 miles."

Corsair why'd you edit your post... it was perfect

Oh but to maybe help... on mine i noticed about the multi-display is that the top is the right tire and the bottom is the left. Of course you get a F or R telling you front or rear. But no idea if the sensors are marked individually since you mixed them up