Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

NO disrespect intended, Z or Wrx STI

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 12:05 PM
Racer Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Without a doubt, the Z....Looks hella better compared to the Subaru, which has a boxy and boring design IMO.

Now, if Subaru could make a WRX that had a design like the old Subaru SVX (Sleek and Stylish)....Then I'd consider the WRX!
Old 08-13-2005, 12:53 PM
lilaznxboi08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its up to you but the subaru engine is expensive to fix and if you want a lot of problems within a year get the sti its not known for lasting long...i was about to get a wrx but heard alot of bad stuff about it from previous owners
but i like the sti because it is a 4door and sounds really nice with an exhaust and blow off valve.. IMO i think it sounds nicer then the 350z with that throaty sound

Last edited by lilaznxboi08; 08-13-2005 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:05 PM
zman1910

Sharaabi - If looks matter to you at all then its no contest(Z)

Basically if I had to do things all over again....I would go straight to GRD after my purchase and slap on an APS TT or ST. The only other thing I would do is change out the rims.

I wasted a lot of time and money buying headers, test pipes, plenums, etc.....and I ended up selling them. There's barely any power to be made with these items or at least not enough for me.

The answer to more power with the Z is to go FI...just do it safely(typically no more than 9 psi and 450 whp... )and since your in Chicago you have plenty of options and tuners. Not only will you have a really fast car but one that basically puts the car in an entire new category....

Good luck with your decision!
Old 08-13-2005, 01:15 PM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a super easy one to me.

Answer these questions for your answer.

Is the Z a daily driver year round? if so where do you live? do you have snow?

Do you have a garage?

I would never own a Z if I didnt have a garage. also, my Z never sees the streets if there's any snow or salt.

So on that note, living in an area that gets snow. I wouldnt own my Z if I didnt have a garage and a 2nd "beater" car.

If I could only have 1 car and had to deal with snow and such the STI would be my first pick.

Both cars are great. The STI feels smaller inside but has more room in the back. My elbows tend to rub the door more and the center consel is like RIGHT there. but the STI has tons of room in the rear/trunk.

The Z looks better by far. but the STI isnt to shabby.

so once again

#1 would be a Z IF you have a 2nd car for winter and a garage to keep it in.
if not the STI would be my pick hands down.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:45 PM
supra crazy

Originally Posted by zzz350
If you want a fairly plain car, that will not turn any heads, go with the STI. Sti will win on the drag strip, however the Z is still a fast, fun car.

If you aren't only concerned with drags, and want a car with kicka$$ appeal and looks like the bad boy on the block, then 350Z, hands down, IMHO.
If you want a plain car that turn heads go with a 350Z the sti wing will sure have heads turning but if I was looking into buying a car again I would get a used VOLVO S60R 300hp 4wd 14.0 stock 1/4 and a fairly nice sized car. and it looks awsome.
Old 08-13-2005, 04:54 PM
Blue Komodo

Originally Posted by sharaabi
By the end of this year, i plan to pay off some debts and buy a car.
I currently hav a maxima and simply love it. Ive always loved the Z but also love cars and performance in general.

1.With NO disrespect intended, Id like to know if you were NOT A 350z fan, and had the money to buy either a sububru STI or a 350z, what would it be and why?

2. STOCK, off the line im sure an STI can take a Z if im not wrong, but GENERALLY speaking, If i had lets say $10,000 extra....where would I get more HP AND PERFORMANCE for my buck?? on the z or sti?

3.im reading the sti forums too, just dont know which car is going to be more durable, reliable etc.
1) I bought the Z because I love the way it look's, and at the time, I wanted a convertible. I was also replacing a stolen STI, and did'nt want to go through that again. If I had to do it over again, I'd say fu#k it and get another STI.

2) From a dig a Z would get violated stock for stock. With $10k, the Suby is an 11 second car on street rubber. Z, 13 seconds. In your area, Dan at Godspeed is the man to see.

3) I've had no problems with my Z, and had none with the STI. I've heard about several improperly tuned STI's blowing up #3 cylinder, but never stock. I've heard of dozens of Z's with tranny and feathering issues. Subaru is #1 in reliability right now. Should the unforseen occour, insurance companies would most likely have an issue with a non boosted car, becoming a boosted car.
Old 08-13-2005, 05:20 PM
Timmy_boy188

another point is the STi is going to get terrible gas mileage compared to the Z, take it from me, my previous car was a WRX but I put 10 grand into it so it was as fast as an STi, it got like 18 miles to the gallon, compared to my Z which gets like 24 miles to the gallon, I love my Z wey better too, looks better I think

Tim
Old 08-13-2005, 06:54 PM
EVL-350

IMHO...the Z has much more potetial...the STI is a very fast car stock...but as is its a bit stressed...i feel the Z has much more room to work with...I test drove both before buying my Z and i thought the Z was a better all around car and had a huge amount of potential
Old 08-13-2005, 07:08 PM
03FIDDYZ

the STi would have way more potential...i dont know if this has been said but a stovk car that already has a turbo has much more then one that is just NA you can do simple mods that will boost performance way up like boost controller, downpipe, better intercooler, many things. Also AWD on the streets will take any car its not very often where in town street races go past 60 MPH. But if you want a car that looks good go with the Z its the sexiest car ever made. Its still fast and with 10000 you can make it very fast, just not as fast as an STi with 10 grand dumped into it
Old 08-13-2005, 07:10 PM
03FIDDYZ

Originally Posted by Blue Komodo
1) I bought the Z because I love the way it look's, and at the time, I wanted a convertible. I was also replacing a stolen STI, and did'nt want to go through that again. If I had to do it over again, I'd say fu#k it and get another STI.

2) From a dig a Z would get violated stock for stock. With $10k, the Suby is an 11 second car on street rubber. Z, 13 seconds. In your area, Dan at Godspeed is the man to see.

3) I've had no problems with my Z, and had none with the STI. I've heard about several improperly tuned STI's blowing up #3 cylinder, but never stock. I've heard of dozens of Z's with tranny and feathering issues. Subaru is #1 in reliability right now. Should the unforseen occour, insurance companies would most likely have an issue with a non boosted car, becoming a boosted car.
With 10K the Z will go much faster than 13 1/4 time!!!! Some run 13.77 stock come on
Old 08-13-2005, 07:12 PM
ghettodogg

I like the STI a lot. I think its a great car, but I'd pick the Z.

1) Cheaper
2) Nicer and awesome style
3) And its my favorite car

The STI is good cuz its probably the fastest 4-door car other than the M5 and is a 4-cylinder so doesnt waste that much gas. And it has 300hp which means it is pretty fast. But I gotta go with the Z. And $35,000 is just not worth it. I'd rather spend that much buying and fixing up a Z rather than buying a stock STI.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:06 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not big on how sti's or evos sound compared to the Z

The other day I saw a 40-something sitting in a parking lot in a blue STI. I thought it was kinda funny. I mean you just don't normally associate people in their 40's as people who'd drive a car that looks more like a teenager-20's car. Z is more timeless. I won't even consider a car unless I like how it looks - at least for a daily driven street car
Old 08-13-2005, 08:21 PM
Blue Komodo

Originally Posted by 03FIDDYZ
With 10K the Z will go much faster than 13 1/4 time!!!! Some run 13.77 stock come on
I've seen NA Z's run that fast, just not stock. Most stock Z's run mid 14's. Fastest stock STI I've seen ran 13 flat.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:30 PM
Bran_BranZ33

Originally Posted by Blue Komodo
I've seen NA Z's run that fast, just not stock. Most stock Z's run mid 14's. Fastest stock STI I've seen ran 13 flat.

there are alot of Zs hitting 13.7-13.9 stock. damn just a tire upgrade will get some bad drivers into the 13's(not all but some). ive watched a few sti's hit 13.9 85% of the STI drivers you run into dont know how to lauch their car and thats the only advantage they have over the Z. You take that away from them and they are not faster then a Z
Old 08-13-2005, 09:30 PM
Manjot

Sti = Awd, Turbo, Sedan, Rally car, Looks nice (in its own way)
350Z = Coupe, Lots of aftermarket, Cheaper (depending upon which model)

You are comparing a rally car vs a sports car...Each car has its own benefits depending upon what you're going to use it for. After helping a friend decide between the Z, G35, and Sti, the Z came up on top. Overall its much more fun..Be back later, time to sleep

PS, this forum is Much more interesting than iwsti...people are more lively on here and you'll find much more info as compared to iwsti no offense
Old 08-13-2005, 10:08 PM
Scotty1230

I liked both cars and was going in thinking looks AND performance.

What it came down to was that I'm 23 and wanted something sporty but had a subconscious need for a little more maturity. The Z was the perfect car. If I was 18 again I might have preferred the enormous wing and hood scoop to take it to the parking lots where the kids hang out and show off their overdone ricey cars.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:41 AM
sharaabi

wow....first id like to thank everyone for helping and not being biased just cuz you all hav Z's. Secondly rethinking things over and spending a lot of time on google and the sti forums(fuc*in punk *** kids), i think the jury has given its verdict.

After reading all the information, ive noticed that no doubt I want a balance of speed and looks, i REALLY look for reliability. I have a stock maxima with makeup on it like lights,tints and cool interior....other than that my foot is SO heavy on the thing that i squeeze every cent i put into it. HEY, I RACKED 45,000 MILES a YEAR on the thing workin at my previous job, now i take the train to downtown and drive the maxima on weekends racking 1200miles a month.

anywayz, i never paid attention to the maintainence factor of a STI and Z. After my research and your input, it seems like maintaining a Z is easier which to ME, counts for a LOT. I can get a used M3 maybe in the upper 30's, but one damn hose in that thing is $$$$$$$$$. If i REALLY wanted to make a mission to beat an STI , i guess anyone can tweek a car to get it a higher hp.

i was going to test drive both cars but then from all your help ive realized, who the hell owns sti's anywayz? oh those momma's boys who have no respect for the road, women or the money. I like the EVO too but to me thats like civic with 500hp.....its still a civic!!!!! thats where the looks imo, Z takes the cake.

Handling. I LOVE turns.... from highways to 3/4 mile turns, i love handling and if the STI is "roughish" on turns, then hey...im not in. Either car has good handling but i think the Z might have more charm in being swayed. Im a bouncer at one of the clubs here in Chicago (weekend job) and I think with my job and my maturity level, the Z makes more practical sense for me. My immaturity is abusing the mods I get into it but TRUST ME, me payments on that thing will sober me up im sure. For my maxima when i got it with the insurance was 290(heavy down payment and insurance on moms name )

I also like the fact someone mentioned of having more room to play with the engine n stuff...never looked at it that way.

All in all i think im going with the Z.

Help me answer the last set of curious questions? sorry for pestin anyone here.

1. someone said, you wont find too many used Sti's.... i looked in the chicagoland magazines n stuff, they were kinda right,not too many...why?

2. whats THE HIGHEST HP i can give a Z and STILL USE IT DAILY!!!????!
i wont call my maxima a beater cuz it still looks mint to me but whats the safest and approximately how much is going to cost?

3. what are the CHEAPEST and PRACTICAL upgrades to get for gettin the first stages of getting more horsepower?

4. give me the TYPICAL problems of a Z you all face? cost?

5. what should I watch for when gettin a Z other than the salesman?

6. i want to get a 05 Z in 06 june, any "inside" news you guys have that MIGHT be worth the wait for something i dont know?

again, i wanna thank everyone.

Last edited by sharaabi; 08-14-2005 at 12:46 AM.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:25 AM
Manjot

Looks like its on me...Ne ways (besides searching) here are some answerZ (<---Z)

1. You won't find many used Sti's because not many people are interested in them...Well, actually many people don't know what Sti's are (including cops). If you do find one in Chicago that means you got pretty lucky. Imo, Don't buy the Sti unless you want to be a cop magnet (Trust me, my friend has been pulled over numerous times cause the cops thought it was a souped up Subaru).
2. Reliability and hp don't really matter as long as you take care of the car (as in) have a well know company tune the car, change the oil whenever needed, and all that blah blah blah
3. Cheapest and Practical huh?...I'd say: exhaust system, intake, headers, cams, etc (search)
4. Well, I plan on buying the 06 Z when it comes out so I don't really have any personal experience with problems and Z's...Trust me though, if you take care of you'r car, nothing will go wrong. According to research the main problem that exists is tire feathering, gears grinding, etc...But remember, you will have a warranty
5. Hahaha....As usual, look @ the car from all angles, look at the interior, start the car up and try to hear if something might me whining, etc...(SEARCH)
6. SEARCH

....Hope this helps
Old 08-14-2005, 11:16 AM
LIdrew

I'm going to buy an Sti for my winter beater. Seriously, I want one as my second car. I'll get a used 04 with higher miles so I can keep the miles down on my Z, which will still look awesome 10 years from now. I love the Sti. I love my Z more....no turbo lag either.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:19 PM
bstansbu

Originally Posted by LIdrew
I'm going to buy an Sti for my winter beater. Seriously, I want one as my second car. I'll get a used 04 with higher miles so I can keep the miles down on my Z, which will still look awesome 10 years from now. I love the Sti. I love my Z more....no turbo lag either.
Good luck finding a used 2004 STI with high miles already. I envy you though. I wish I could buy a 28,000$ car as my winter beater. lol BEN

Quick Reply: NO disrespect intended, Z or Wrx STI