Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

NO disrespect intended, Z or Wrx STI

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 12:49 PM
sharaabi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im going to start searching for my answers. I think after asking god for answers in life, i use google...LOL.

now I gotta start saving for the remaining down payment and start going to these meets in chicago.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:34 PM
ryanhartnett

If your a teenager, then get an STi - I don't need my insurance going any higher than it is.
Old 08-14-2005, 02:38 PM
Dream

One minor issue I've noticed with the Z is that the rear and rear-side visibility sucks, especially when reversing. You have to stretch your neck and body somewhat to avoid the blind spots when backing up.
Old 08-14-2005, 02:52 PM
Blue Komodo

The reason you won't find many used STI's is because they don't make that many. It's a limited production car. In fact it only exists because they have to base the WRC car off of a production version. The one we get is not the real STI either. The real one runs a 2L motor with forged internals, a closed deck, and a twin scroll turbo. You can through boost at it all day, it would rape the "North American" version. The STi's production numbers are less than a quarter of the Z's. By the way, the term "rice" is used to describe cosmetic modifications that mimic functional concepts. Everything on the STI is functional, nothing is just for show. There are many Suby owner's that hate the wing and take it it off, only to find that the down force is not balanced and the rear end is loose. So they go with an after market GT style spoiler like the Cusco or the Ings. Which looks MUCH better. Most guy's loose the TMIC because it's a horrible design that suffers from heat soak (Subaru was cutting corners here). They go with a FMIC like the APS, and replace the scoop with a vent. Yeah, the Z is MUCH better looking, but everything about the Subaru design serves a purpose. Just because you don't like it that does'nt make it rice. The subaru is a more expensive and technologically complicated car. It will out handle, out accelerate, and out brake the Z while being more practical in any climate period. No disrespect intended my ***.

Last edited by Blue Komodo; 08-14-2005 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:11 PM
gatti-man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blue Komodo
The reason you won't find many used STI's is because they don't make that many. It's a limited production car. In fact it only exists because they have to base the WRC car off of a production version. The one we get is not the real STI either. The real one runs a 2L motor with forged internals, a closed deck, and a twin scroll turbo. You can through boost at it all day, it would rape the "North American" version. The STi's production numbers are less than a quarter of the Z's. By the way, the term "rice" is used to describe cosmetic modifications that mimic functional concepts. Everything on the STI is functional, nothing is just for show. There are many Suby owner's that hate the wing and take it it off, only to find that the down force is not balanced and the rear end is loose. So they go with an after market GT style spoiler like the Cusco or the Ings. Which looks MUCH better. Most guy's loose the TMIC because it's a horrible design that suffers from heat soak (Subaru was cutting corners here). They go with a FMIC like the APS, and replace the scoop with a vent. Yeah, the Z is MUCH better looking, but everything about the Subaru design serves a purpose. Just because you don't like it that does'nt make it rice. The subaru is a more expensive and technologically complicated car. It will out handle, out accelerate, and out brake the Z while being more practical in any climate period. No disrespect intended my ***.
To people who do not know the STI is very rice; to people who do know it isnt rice at all just ugly. As for out accelerating or being more practical and all that i completely disagree. Maybe from a dig an sti will out accelerate but not from a roll and Z's are very practical (besides the backseat which some of us dont use) with good gas mileage. STI's have way more maintanance issues/costs than the Z. IMO the Z is a better car altogether bc it wont embarass me when i get out of it...but no disrespect
Old 08-14-2005, 09:22 PM
rolling

one other thing i havent seen adressed here yet,
when you get a small 4banger with 2 turbo and that much HP your burning the candle at both ends, turbos by nature are higher maintenance, probaby more insurance,

Z is more designed for longevity (in stock form) and far more durable than hypped up 4
and had better control, (i thought when i drove STI and lancer MR, mr 35g's!!! uhhh!!

z simply looks better, flows better, not as common either..
Z
Old 08-14-2005, 10:19 PM
Blue Komodo

Originally Posted by gatti-man
To people who do not know the STI is very rice; to people who do know it isnt rice at all just ugly. As for out accelerating or being more practical and all that i completely disagree. Maybe from a dig an sti will out accelerate but not from a roll and Z's are very practical (besides the backseat which some of us dont use) with good gas mileage. STI's have way more maintanance issues/costs than the Z. IMO the Z is a better car altogether bc it wont embarass me when i get out of it...but no disrespect
If someone is unaware of an STI's capabilities and they call it rice, that makes them ignorant. It does'nt make the car rice. If you think the car is ugly, that's your opinion. Most of the guy's an the Subaru forum think the Z is a chick car
(several have actually bought Z's for their wives), but that's their opinion. "Maybe" from a dig, give me fuc#ing break! Stock Z's are'nt doing sub 5 second 0 to 60's, and they're not doing 13 second quarters. So yeah, the STI is faster. I consider an AWD sedan with a huge trunk that seats 4 comfortabley, just a little more practical. But hey, I'm crazy like that. My STI was moded, much faster than stock, and gave simular fuel returns to what my Z gives me (the extra 300lbs probably has something to do with it). There was a pinging problem when the STI was released, Subaru fixed it imeadiately with a reflash and appologized. It's the only issue the car has ever seen. This forum has pages upon pages of cars with feathering issues, and grenading transmisions. So which is more reliable and expensive to maintain? When I got out of the STI, girls said "wow it looks fast, can I have a ride?". With the Z they say, "pretty car". If you'd be embarassed getting out of an STI, your a dumb ***. But no disrespect.

Last edited by Blue Komodo; 08-15-2005 at 12:16 AM.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:27 PM
Blue Komodo

Originally Posted by rolling
one other thing i havent seen adressed here yet,
when you get a small 4banger with 2 turbo and that much HP your burning the candle at both ends, turbos by nature are higher maintenance, probaby more insurance,

Z is more designed for longevity (in stock form) and far more durable than hypped up 4
and had better control, (i thought when i drove STI and lancer MR, mr 35g's!!! uhhh!!

z simply looks better, flows better, not as common either..
Z
Theres only one turbo. If you change your oil regularly, and use a turbo timer, turbos last a long time. Insurance on the STI was cheaper for me. Z engine may last longer, STI has better control. Z looks better, but is MUCH more common.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:54 AM
nnkfws333

My 2 cents, both are reliable cars just maintain it well and the car will treat you well....you are coming from a Maxima which is a 4 door car. You will miss the extra room so take that into consideration. The STI ride quality isn't bad but it has to be sacrificed because the car handles so dam well. I mean the STI is pretty much to me a out the door rally race car so your paying more for the performance. The interior isn't that bad looking, I love the 2 tone and the cool lighting, DCCD (correct me if Im wrong), etc.

Have you looked at the Subaru Legacy? It has 4 doors and rides a lot better. Plus same engine as the STI.

Just giving you other views...but also think of your situation, if I was still in college I would love a STI but as you grow older your tastes will change especially if you plan to keep the car for long.

AND ALSO...the more you mod the more your reliability goes down the drain.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 08-15-2005, 10:24 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why does everyone say "an sti" and not "a sti"

the word sti doesn't start with a vowel or is abreviated to start with one
Old 08-15-2005, 10:53 AM
ZZ33bOI

Yes, PERSONAL INTEREST.
1. My Z just gets *** all day.
2. TRUE STI is faster. but Z is HOTTER...
3. You rather WANT ***** or SPEED? (thats your choice)
4. REMEBER THERE IS A TT kit for The Z...that will SMOKE STI ALL DAY...and STILL GET ***..
5. Z LEATHER SEATS, (HEATED if u got that) FEELS GOOD
6. DEPENDs what you gonna use it for. GET ***** or RACE? or Z get To RACE and GET ***** at the same time.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:01 AM
bstansbu

Originally Posted by sentry65
why does everyone say "an sti" and not "a sti"

the word sti doesn't start with a vowel or is abreviated to start with one

Im no english major, but I believe you use "an" and not "a" in front of any abreviated word. The word doesnt haven to start with a vowel. For example, If I say I am going to go back to college to get a MBA. It just sounds funny. I dont know. Any english majors out there? BEN
Old 08-15-2005, 11:07 AM
ZZ33bOI

Hahahh Fobs......
Old 08-15-2005, 11:15 AM
dreamspeed

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i thought i'd throw in my 2 cents even though it'll probably get lost amongst all the other posts. First of all i'm tired of people calling cars rice due to stereotyping. Cars aren't built inherently as "ricers" its the owners that do that. I dont like how people automatically think every civic/integra is rice and that the owner is some punk 16 year old. Just for every nice Z out there theres probably 5 equally nice Civics (sadly for every 5 of those theres 10 of them with boeing sized wings and coffee can mufflers) Basically what i'm trying to say is its not fair to make a general sweeping statement about a certain car.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:01 PM
Manjot

....I doubt that the starter of this thread cares
Old 08-15-2005, 12:11 PM
Spideynw

Originally Posted by sharaabi
By the end of this year, i plan to pay off some debts and buy a car.
I currently hav a maxima and simply love it. Ive always loved the Z but also love cars and performance in general.

1.With NO disrespect intended, Id like to know if you were NOT A 350z fan, and had the money to buy either a sububru STI or a 350z, what would it be and why?
Sorry, but this is a dumb question. What do you mean by "not a 350z fan"? Also, the cars are completely different.

350z STI
Good looks Looks like a sedan
Coupe 4-door
6-cylinder 4-cylinder
N/A F/I
2-seater 4-seater
RWD AWD

The ONLY thing these two vehicles have in common is high performance.

2. STOCK, off the line im sure an STI can take a Z if im not wrong, but GENERALLY speaking, If i had lets say $10,000 extra....where would I get more HP AND PERFORMANCE for my buck?? on the z or sti?
STI. Correct me if I am wrong, but F/I is always less expensive to modify then N/A and handles mods better.

3.im reading the sti forums too, just dont know which car is going to be more durable, reliable etc.
Both good vehicles. Of course any high performance vehicle is probably going to have more issues then a regular vehicle.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:12 PM
Zmeflyby

Sti's interior feels like a honda. I like sti's, dont get me wrong, but its just not right for me. Its a sedan with a turbo.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:00 PM
ANXIOUZ

I can't really get over the look of the Subarus. I just don't feel them like I do with the Z. I don't mind sacrificing some power for a sexier car with 2 less doors.

However, with that said, if I ever move to a place where the weather is nasty I'll probably take a nice hard look at the STI or EVO. But damnit, I don't want a 4-door!
Old 08-15-2005, 01:01 PM
Manjot

The Sti needs the turbo to reach 300hp the Z doesn't...imagine the Z with a turbo<---
(strictly for the person that started this thread)
Old 08-15-2005, 03:28 PM
nnkfws333

Originally Posted by Manjot
The Sti needs the turbo to reach 300hp the Z doesn't...imagine the Z with a turbo<---
(strictly for the person that started this thread)

Well then again the STI is a 4 cylinder and the 350Z has 6. Ok spend under a grand in mods for an STI and you can get 350hp which is roughly 300-310awhp. Thats under a grand! People I see spend $4k or more for a turbo or supercharger to hit just that mark. The STI will not even break a sweat running 300awhp all day while I would still be cautious running a boosted Z without any internal work.

Quick Reply: NO disrespect intended, Z or Wrx STI