Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Do you carry a gun in your Z?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 03:25 PM
SGP_Racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I read just the other day in a Houston LIFESTYLE magazine

That 76% of the people in Houston " POLLED " carry a firearm in their vehicle. I always carry a firearm with me & have for several years but, that actually sounds a little high? Anyone believe that percentage? I believe as well that RESPONSIBILITY here is the main concern. I actually had a close call in 99 with my old Z. If not for having my pistol, I definitely would have lost my car & possibly my life. I do however think that every situation is different & sometimes you can prevent things from happening but, sometimes you cannot...

-Mark
Old 09-22-2006, 05:21 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SGP_Racing
That 76% of the people in Houston " POLLED " carry a firearm in their vehicle. I always carry a firearm with me & have for several years but, that actually sounds a little high? Anyone believe that percentage? I believe as well that RESPONSIBILITY here is the main concern. I actually had a close call in 99 with my old Z. If not for having my pistol, I definitely would have lost my car & possibly my life. I do however think that every situation is different & sometimes you can prevent things from happening but, sometimes you cannot...

-Mark
I suppose it depends on what forum you're polling in. That number does seem high, but if you go to a shooting range and do the poll.....

I never trust media numbers regarding guns. The media is notoriously liberal, and thus anti-gun. Making it seem like Houston is a city full of gun-toting red-necks is a good way to make the city look at strengthening gun control laws.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:03 AM
boma

I bet the real numbers in Houston are more like 14-20%. I am sure it is not even close to 50% that carry in a vehicle.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:24 AM
JCZ33

No; I'm not licenced yet.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:42 AM
HighwaySpeed

Cool

I ALWAYS carry an M72A3

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m72.htm
Old 09-23-2006, 12:53 PM
MethodRN
For Sale

Originally Posted by kcobean
I suppose it depends on what forum you're polling in. That number does seem high, but if you go to a shooting range and do the poll.....

I never trust media numbers regarding guns. The media is notoriously liberal, and thus anti-gun. Making it seem like Houston is a city full of gun-toting red-necks is a good way to make the city look at strengthening gun control laws.

You didn't know? WE ARE A BUNCH OF GUN-TOTING RED-NECKS!!! HAHAHAHAHA.

On a serious note. Several months ago a young lady who I had mutual friends with and her boyfriend were car jacked, she was raped and then they were executed. Her car was later found in the suspects possession, leading me to believe that this was not a crime for monetary reason. This event has lead me to really consider getting my concealed license. I have come to the conclusion that if a perpatrator is going to kill you, even if you cooperate, they will. I for one would rather go down fighting. I highly recommend anyone even considering carrying a concealed weapon, weather or not your state requires it, to attend a training class.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:20 PM
kcobean

Originally Posted by MethodRN
I highly recommend anyone even considering carrying a concealed weapon, weather or not your state requires it, to attend a training class.
Coming from a gun-toting red-neck, that's the best advice in this thread.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:11 AM
NewJerZ

Originally Posted by HighwaySpeed

Damn, dude.....U could take out a Hummer or a convenience store with one of these!

My motto: You can NEVER have too much firepower!
Old 09-24-2006, 06:01 PM
KAK's350

no guns! Learn KARATE
Old 09-24-2006, 06:12 PM
kcobean

Originally Posted by KAK's350
no guns! Learn KARATE
Old 09-24-2006, 06:16 PM
SighOh

ehhh guns creep me out. when the bf was a cop, hed have his gun in his car and in our house...

just looking at it gave me the *******. picking it up was even
Old 09-24-2006, 06:34 PM
kcobean

Originally Posted by SighOh
ehhh guns creep me out. when the bf was a cop, hed have his gun in his car and in our house...

just looking at it gave me the *******. picking it up was even
It's just a tool, plain and simple. It has a purpose, and if not mis-used, it's no more dangerous than a steak-knife, a hammer, a shovel, a car....

I certainly respect your opinion, but the whole "guns give me the *******" thing just defines an irrational fear. I have absolutely no problem with it as long as it doesn't become a "you shouldn't have guns because I don't like them" agenda, which all too often happens.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:44 PM
persianmafia

Everyone on here is trying to be a badass, but what I dont understand is when your in danger in a fast sports car....why dont you just hit the gas and gun it ?
Old 09-24-2006, 07:38 PM
kcobean

Originally Posted by persianmafia
Everyone on here is trying to be a badass, but what I dont understand is when your in danger in a fast sports car....why dont you just hit the gas and gun it ?
Who is trying to be a badass? I carry a gun because a) it's my right, b) it's my responsibility, and c) because the police CAN'T be everywhere all the time.

For me, it's not about having it "in the car" per se, but to answer your question, all it takes is a stop light and a few cars, and all the speed in the world means nothing...and in that case, a gun may not help either, since you're at a BIG disadvantage being sitting down and belted in.

It's all about mitigating risk. You do what you reasonably can. I consider a concealed weapon reasonable.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:04 PM
persianmafia

I can understand that its your right, however if a mob races after you, or if someone shoots at your car... I'm wouldnt bust out my AK and go Terminator style, **** man I'd get the **** out of there. Sure there might be an innocent person being attacked and you might try and "protect" them. But even then, you could just run em over...i mean, it would be a good excuse to get those rock chips finally painted
Old 09-24-2006, 09:36 PM
Marbleshade

And where do you expect to go if this is in traffic? Slam into the car in front of you?
Old 09-24-2006, 09:40 PM
efx

I carry the m143

http://www.montysminiguns.com/RealityPage.htm
Old 09-24-2006, 10:07 PM
kcobean

I can understand that its your right, however if a mob races after you, or if someone shoots at your car... I'm wouldnt bust out my AK and go Terminator style, **** man I'd get the **** out of there. Sure there might be an innocent person being attacked and you might try and "protect" them. But even then, you could just run em over...i mean, it would be a good excuse to get those rock chips finally painted
It's YOUR right too! (Assuming you're an American citizen).

I'd certainly flee if I could, but the scenarios you mention are so unlikely that they don't even factor into the reasons I carry a gun (because you're right, a gun would do little good against a mob or someone shooting at you from outside your car at any distance/angle.)

And yeah, a car makes a great weapon....funny how you never see people talking on their cellphones while they're shooting guns.