Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

my car wont start!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 12:19 PM
grifferjr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry for not updating the thread any earlier but i have been swamped at work and even just got back from the dealer from picking my baby up. the story is a good news, bad news, and good news again type situation that i will try and tell in enough detail but also try and keep things as short as possible.

good news is that she runs again and will start up again every time. like new.

bad news is that it was much worse than anyone initially suspected. I got to the lot today at 8 am sharp after a night of turmoil thinking about my baby sitting in some lot away from home (okay exaggeration but still). I found a tech in my car in the lot where the tow truck dumped it off and he hooked the diagnostic comp to it to see if a code came up. mind you nobody thought it would, just a flooded car right??? well sure enough a code came up and it was the ETC (electronic throttle controle accuator). Basically from the laymans explanation that i got from the tech, its the part of the engine that electronically keeps the car's idle going without the gas actually being depressed. It was malfunctioning, and thats why it wouldnt start up or even keep running after dropping down to say 1k RPM. Once the tech overrode the code with the handheld comp, it started right up and blew out all kinds of smoke, from a weekend trying to get her to fire. well all in all she needed a new ETC, Throttle Gasket and some kind of chamber thing (just reading off the parts list now). What does this cost you ask??????

800 + dollars for just the parts then add in labor. (i have 44k miles out of initial factory warranty remember)

whats the good news you ask??? well right before i bought my car, before signing on the proverbial dotted line for a great deal on a used 03, my pop talked me into trying to get the dealer to throw in the extended gold warranty. you can see where i am going. the dealer did, and everything was covered under that. no cost to me whatsoever, hell i even used the GF's AAA to tow the car to the dealer for free.

so that my friends is the final good news.

and thus we reach the end of the my saga!!!!
Old 09-06-2005, 12:44 PM
spacemn_spiff

Good to hear they honored your extended warranty without hassles.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:05 PM
sexi z

By any chance was the engine light on before this happened?

My engine light was on and so when I took my car to the dealer the guy told me the same thing (I think), but I think it's a sensor, right? I'm not sure, I didn't really understand much. My car is under warranty too since I only have 5,800 miles on it, so it didn't cost me anything, but according to the invoice it would have cost 785.79
It says:
Correction: RPL EFI THROTTLE CHAMBER
PART NUMBER
DAT 16119-8J103
DAT 16175-AR000
So is it the same thing?
Because the guy said it's a common problem they have been having
Old 09-06-2005, 01:09 PM
Fletch69z

Awww, you thought of gas. One time when I was really young, I let my car run out of gas and I didn't realize it. It kept sputtering and then dying and I was like "Dad, something is seriously wrong with my car." Luckily I realized it was just out of gas before I took it to a shop. That would have been funny, .
Old 09-06-2005, 01:18 PM
Fletch69z

Originally Posted by grifferjr
sorry for not updating the thread any earlier but i have been swamped at work and even just got back from the dealer from picking my baby up. the story is a good news, bad news, and good news again type situation that i will try and tell in enough detail but also try and keep things as short as possible.

good news is that she runs again and will start up again every time. like new.

bad news is that it was much worse than anyone initially suspected. I got to the lot today at 8 am sharp after a night of turmoil thinking about my baby sitting in some lot away from home (okay exaggeration but still). I found a tech in my car in the lot where the tow truck dumped it off and he hooked the diagnostic comp to it to see if a code came up. mind you nobody thought it would, just a flooded car right??? well sure enough a code came up and it was the ETC (electronic throttle controle accuator). Basically from the laymans explanation that i got from the tech, its the part of the engine that electronically keeps the car's idle going without the gas actually being depressed. It was malfunctioning, and thats why it wouldnt start up or even keep running after dropping down to say 1k RPM. Once the tech overrode the code with the handheld comp, it started right up and blew out all kinds of smoke, from a weekend trying to get her to fire. well all in all she needed a new ETC, Throttle Gasket and some kind of chamber thing (just reading off the parts list now). What does this cost you ask??????

800 + dollars for just the parts then add in labor. (i have 44k miles out of initial factory warranty remember)

whats the good news you ask??? well right before i bought my car, before signing on the proverbial dotted line for a great deal on a used 03, my pop talked me into trying to get the dealer to throw in the extended gold warranty. you can see where i am going. the dealer did, and everything was covered under that. no cost to me whatsoever, hell i even used the GF's AAA to tow the car to the dealer for free.

so that my friends is the final good news.

and thus we reach the end of the my saga!!!!
Wow, glad to hear it got taken care of without any drama, .
Old 09-06-2005, 01:27 PM
sexi z

Originally Posted by Fletch69z
Awww, you thought of gas. One time when I was really young, I let my car run out of gas and I didn't realize it. It kept sputtering and then dying and I was like "Dad, something is seriously wrong with my car." Luckily I realized it was just out of gas before I took it to a shop. That would have been funny, .
I'm lost, that wasn't the case...
Old 09-06-2005, 01:37 PM
grifferjr

Originally Posted by sexi z
By any chance was the engine light on before this happened?

My engine light was on and so when I took my car to the dealer the guy told me the same thing (I think), but I think it's a sensor, right? I'm not sure, I didn't really understand much. My car is under warranty too since I only have 5,800 miles on it, so it didn't cost me anything, but according to the invoice it would have cost 785.79
It says:
Correction: RPL EFI THROTTLE CHAMBER
PART NUMBER
DAT 16119-8J103
DAT 16175-AR000
So is it the same thing?
Because the guy said it's a common problem they have been having
yeah i think we are talking about the exact same thing. cause on my sheet it says:
DAT 16175-AR000
DAT 16119-8J103.

And your pricing is about the same as what they told me. So good thing for the warranty.

My tech said they have seen this in a few Altimas and Maximas but this was the first Z that he had seen with it. But then again from what i understand there is a lot in common between the engines.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:06 PM
grifferjr

no engine light previous to this happening though