Sponsored by:

Car keyed in parking garage!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 07:22 AM
Miraclekidjr
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car keyed in parking garage!

What the ****!!!! Come back 2 hours later from parking it on the top story, furthest away from any other car and there is a HUGE gash across the whole driver side. I've never had to deal with this before....any ideas
Old 09-20-2005, 08:09 AM
Jetpilot718

Was it a random thing? Make any new enemies lately? What gives?
Old 09-20-2005, 08:11 AM
Fletch69z

That sucks man. SOrry.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:37 AM
orion350z

I hate to see this **** happen......makes me relive my car getting phucked by paintballs. Just go find the best bodyshop out there, pay your deductable and get it fixed with as little repaint as possible. Then, go buy a pos for a daily driver, and park the ZZzz in a secure location for the time being. Make it a weekend driver. This is just my opinion.

After my car was screwed up by vandals I chose to park it. It was so fresh and so clean after the repairs that I just didn't want to chance it getting ruined again. After two years, and 46,000 miles of being my daily driver, my Z is reluctantly parked. For the time being, leaving your car out in public will make you as paranoid as a pothead.

Back to the issue........how deep is the gash? Is it all the way through the clear coat? Does it cut into the paint/primer? The hint here is, if you can avoid a repaint with feathering going into your front and rear fenders, avoid it. If it doesn't look too deep, snap a pic of it and post it up over at http://www.autopia.org/ .......there are folks over there that can really get a handle on your next step. Good Luck !!
Old 09-20-2005, 09:10 AM
gsazabi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the same thing happen to be a few weeks ago, IN MY OWN APT PARKING LOT.
Luckily mine wasn't as bad as yours, still it pissed the hell outta me.
Unless you have a witness or a security camera, it's almost impossible to
find thoses asses...
You'd have to get it repainted if it's scratched to the metal...
I stil haven't repainted mine, but I will soon.

Z attracts a lot of jealous haters.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:23 AM
kamz

Sorry to hear that man. Hope it doesn't cost you too much to get it fixed. In terms of parking the car... Shiet happens and you can't control that there are a##holes out there who have no respect for other people's stuff but that's not gonna stop me from enjoying my Z.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:12 AM
Miraclekidjr
Banned

ya I live on a college campus so there is no secure place to park it. I really dont want to repaint, I might just have to get a vinyl and try to pattern it over cuz paint scares me
Old 09-20-2005, 11:55 AM
highside107

Originally Posted by Miraclekidjr
What the ****!!!! Come back 2 hours later from parking it on the top story, furthest away from any other car and there is a HUGE gash across the whole driver side. I've never had to deal with this before....any ideas
Sorry to hear that bro... I had my car keyed before also. I too, park my car far, far away from everyone. There's really nothing you can do about it. I forked over my deductible and fixed it. I still use my Z as a daily driver and am still paranoid about vandalism, but when it comes down to it, there's not too much you can do about it. Like someone above said, haters aren't going to stop me from enjoying my Z.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:42 PM
Electricchild

This kind of thing makes me wonder if it's ever worth it to buy an expensive super car if you have the money. I mean you can buy some nice Bentley or Ferarri but how can you actually drive it to safe locations? Even at a friends house who knows what will happen!
Old 09-20-2005, 03:09 PM
Miraclekidjr
Banned

ya, thats the thing im debating, leaving my car at home for the semester but then whats the point on having it. (The whole new shoe theory)
Old 09-20-2005, 03:20 PM
zedated

With my old Z, I had haters(plural) block me into a parking space, mostly as a joke, but also to make a statement. Also, at a previous job, there was a spot, probably intended to be a future handicap space, that was not marked as such, with a wheelchair ramp that led into an empty field. It was put there in advance of a future building on that site. Anyway, I parked in the extra big space, and a couple of my co-workers(!) called the police. The police came and looked at my car, but since it was private property and the space was not posted for handicap only, they did nothing about it. Ever since, I've been *very* careful not to give anyone a reason harm my car.

I've been lucky so far. I always park away from other cars, but I never never take two spots or park at an angle. I avoid the popular tree-shaded spots, because people seem to fight over those. I don't mind the sun anyway, because I hate getting tree sap and bird poop on my car.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:08 PM
Chicken

Originally Posted by Electricchild
This kind of thing makes me wonder if it's ever worth it to buy an expensive super car if you have the money. I mean you can buy some nice Bentley or Ferarri but how can you actually drive it to safe locations? Even at a friends house who knows what will happen!
I don't think it has to be a Bentley or Ferarri, just any car that you care about is the mistake really. Not that anyone wants their car keyed or hit, or bumped, but it hurts more when it's something you really like, vs some mehhhh it gets me there thing that you could just repaint and not worry about.

I actually said I'd never get another car like this (yeah, that worked... saying it) after my Porsche was hit in a parking lot (no note, $1,000 damage), and then hit *again* while driving into a mall parking structure. You wait in line to get a ticket, but the person next to me apparently forgot wasn't up on the "move up one car length at a time" thing and hit me causing about $750 in damage.

Driving cars you care about just hurts. It might not now, but it will... I still do it though. I believe they call it.. glutton for punishment.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:05 PM
ZlleH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can afford a Bentley or a Ferarri and the maintenance that goes with it, believe me, you wouldn't sweat a $5K paint job. And I doubt you would park those kinds of cars on the street or a big unattended parking lot.

When I go downtown with the Z, I always park it at one of those small parking lots with an attendent. Sure it cost $5 or $8 bucks more but that is a damn good piece of mind.

But anyhoo, to the original poster... I feel for you man. I don't know what you are going though but I have some kind of an idea. When I first got my Z, I took it to a detailing place. I talked to the owner about any place that does clear bra and I noticed that a girl on the phone was crying beside him. He told me that her(his daughter's) car had just been keyed. The price wasn't an issue becaues her father's shop makes huge money. It's the fact that she feels very violated now. She also had a custom painted Mustang Cobra and the painter on the phone told her that he could make a close match but it won't be a perfect match.

She was balling. I wanted to marry her. She was hot and any girl who would cry for a car is a good catch in my books.

Originally Posted by Electricchild
Old 09-21-2005, 02:41 AM
Chicken

Originally Posted by ZlleH
If you can afford a Bentley or a Ferarri and the maintenance that goes with it, believe me, you wouldn't sweat a $5K paint job. And I doubt you would park those kinds of cars on the street or a big unattended parking lot.
It's not about *not* being able to afford the paint job, it's more about how some people feel about repainting a car, someone messin' with their baby, imperfect paint matches, etc.

While *I* might not park that type of car on the street, 'round here it's not uncommon.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:54 AM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by highside107
Sorry to hear that bro... I had my car keyed before also. I too, park my car far, far away from everyone. There's really nothing you can do about it. I forked over my deductible and fixed it. I still use my Z as a daily driver and am still paranoid about vandalism, but when it comes down to it, there's not too much you can do about it. Like someone above said, haters aren't going to stop me from enjoying my Z.

This is about the best statement I have heard on this topic.

I'm still wanting for the day..... I hope it never comes.

However, I do enough damage myself in my own garage. Lol !!!!