Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Why do people think G35 is a class higher than 350z?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 03:56 PM
Tattude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mecinoid
~$40K for a Camaro SS.
You know that is what they would want if they built such a beast. :icon38
Sucks doesn't it?...your idea sounds like a plan
Old 10-13-2005, 04:15 PM
S-tuned

Originally Posted by krgs2k
g35=old fart sports car
hey i had a g35.. and im 18
(getting a 350Z in dec.)
Old 10-13-2005, 07:58 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by Tattude
Sucks doesn't it?...your idea sounds like a plan
Here's the car I'm planning on do it to when I get back to work:

With that said, I enjoy driving this around town a lot more than the Firebird:

The Firebird is way to much car to keep under control in town. You let out the clutch and your doing 40mph. It's idle here, idle there. But, on the open road. Ooooo Baby, it's fun!

Can you tell I like stealthy sports cars. "Grey that is"

Sorry, off topic ..... Back to topic.

G35 is the 350Z "bigger" brother. Not quite as rough around the edges. But, when it comes to a fight I'll take the little brothers spunk anything.

Last edited by Z_Driver; 10-13-2005 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:50 PM
md1400cs

OMAN and Krgs2k have the closing arguments on this thread. T You
MJD
Old 10-13-2005, 09:04 PM
dothemath

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered my G35 coupe as a base model 6 speed. It stickered for less that the touring or track model Z's which I also LOVE. I did buy the G for the smoother sleaker looks, my opinion of course, and the back seat. It weighs a bit more, but at least with the base model you don't have the extra weight of all the negated options. Isn't the weight diff of a Track Z and a base coupe about 150 pounds. My car is supposed to be 3435lbs.

I come to the 350z forums because I am a fan of the car and mechanically they are the same. You never know what you are going to learn.

I'm 33 and a recovering sportscaraholic! LONG LIVE THE FM PLATFORM! Life is in the curves

Higher class? Eh. The styling is more mature and reserved. The service at the dealer is a heck of a lot better...at least where I live.

Last edited by dothemath; 10-13-2005 at 09:09 PM.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:38 PM
Z_Driver
Master

That's the exact same car I almost bought. Only problem is they wouldn't budge off the $36,564 MSRP. They were is high demand where I live. Once I found out the Z insurance was about the same and I could save big $$'s I went that way. My heart really wanted to replace my 300ZX Turbo with a 350Z but I thought the insurance was going to kill. Heck my 350Z is only about $10 more a month than that old 300ZX Turbo was. TURBO being the reason insurance was out this world on a 20 year old car.

Nice car though .... I think I would trade straight up for it .... want to trade? j/k Oh wait .... where's the sunroof? They don't sell them around here without them. How did you get that? Lucky Dog.... you must have been able to move mountains on your deal.

Last edited by Z_Driver; 10-13-2005 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:26 AM
zipgun

Never understood this perception of the Z vs G cost etc.. dont get me wrong G's are great. But the Z is part of a 35+ year heritage, not a lesser verison of one of nissan's lux line, if you think about it, its more the other way round, a G is a more practical performance oriented version of a Z IMO.

And what? A Z with its current body shape,is supposed to be a faster, better handling, high performance ,unpractical sports car version of a luxury car? Hmm? don't think anyone has done that yet

And prices? LOL unless you buy a stripped down base, nowdays Z's arent so cheap, guess all they see is that invoice base price, that mags and such spitout? and just forgo all the other models

Last edited by zipgun; 10-14-2005 at 12:42 AM.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:18 AM
Risk

In the past 5 years I've had 2 Infiniti's and 3 Nissans (I put a lot of miles on cars, and get bored of them quickly) including a g35c and a 350z. Even though Infinitis are a good percentage Nissan parts bin, overall IMO Infinitis are better, nicer cars, period.

As far as price differences go, its really hard to compare. Infinti claims to have many factory options for their g35c, but I have yet to see a "stripped down" one. The G35c's on dealer lots really only come in 2 flavors, navi or no navi. The difference in price is between about 35k and 38k respectively. Conversely, I see many stripped down, $26k Z's, but the high end like the roadsters and track models can get up to 40k. So you see, the Z is both cheaper and more expensive.

Last edited by Risk; 10-14-2005 at 01:29 AM.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:32 AM
overZealous1

fortuneatly i have #42 03 350z. db touring 6spd w/ navi. the msrp is almost identical on mine as a g35. but the g35 already has those options standard. i think people hear the "infinity" name and think it is more credible. it is a good name and all, but i don't have kids and or midget friends so the back seat means nothing to me. more advertising has been based on performance for the Z while more advertising has been done to percieve the g35 as "luxury". blahhh, hahahahha.
i love pulling up to a g35 owner and see them hold thier nose high, never knowing i paid as much (if not more) and then all the mods (see sig) as they did. cars are just cars to some people though. for me it is the best place to be outside of bed, lol.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:13 AM
ZlleH

2003 Z curb weight:
Track: 3,225 pounds.
Touring: 3,247 pounds.

Don't have info on the 2003 base.

Originally Posted by dothemath
I ordered my G35 coupe as a base model 6 speed. It stickered for less that the touring or track model Z's which I also LOVE. I did buy the G for the smoother sleaker looks, my opinion of course, and the back seat. It weighs a bit more, but at least with the base model you don't have the extra weight of all the negated options. Isn't the weight diff of a Track Z and a base coupe about 150 pounds. My car is supposed to be 3435lbs.

I come to the 350z forums because I am a fan of the car and mechanically they are the same. You never know what you are going to learn.

I'm 33 and a recovering sportscaraholic! LONG LIVE THE FM PLATFORM! Life is in the curves

Higher class? Eh. The styling is more mature and reserved. The service at the dealer is a heck of a lot better...at least where I live.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:18 AM
dothemath

infinitIIIIII the name ends in an I...the name ends in an . Now that this is clear, lets all repeat together I-N-F-I-N-I-T-I. Any Infiniti G35 coupe driver stickng his knose up at a dtriver of a Nissan 350z is returded

Thanks for the weights. I didn't work out a fabulous deal on the car, because of the fact you never see them. I had to order the car and wait three months for delivery. I have also had the car for two years know, so I bought it when they were VERY hot. There was not a single dealer if Florida that would deal on them at the time. Now through my FloridaG35 club membership I could have bought one not far above cost or something like they worked out as part of the club sponsorship. So I'm not saying I got a great deal...only that it Stickered for a bit less than a comparably equiped Z. I just got the car I wanted.

As far as the size of the backseat, if you are 5'9'' or shorter it is comfortable as reported by some of my friends and neighbors. But, I appreciate it most when my wife and I go on trips. Between the trunk and the folded down rear seat, it can hold a surprising amount of luggage.

Last edited by dothemath; 10-14-2005 at 04:26 AM.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:37 AM
tekk

Originally Posted by zipgun
Never understood this perception of the Z vs G cost etc.. dont get me wrong G's are great. But the Z is part of a 35+ year heritage, not a lesser verison of one of nissan's lux line, if you think about it, its more the other way round, a G is a more practical performance oriented version of a Z IMO.

And what? A Z with its current body shape,is supposed to be a faster, better handling, high performance ,unpractical sports car version of a luxury car? Hmm? don't think anyone has done that yet

And prices? LOL unless you buy a stripped down base, nowdays Z's arent so cheap, guess all they see is that invoice base price, that mags and such spitout? and just forgo all the other models
You'd be wrong.
1. The G has more heritage as a Skyline than the Z. See my other post for the details.
2. The Z's chassis design came from the G/Skyline. Specifically, the XVL. Again, see my other post for more.
3. The G isnt a lesser version of anything, it is what it is. But if you want to say the G is a lesser version of something like the M, then that's ok. The Z is a lesser version of any real sports car I didn't want to say it but if the G is a lesser luxury sports coupe car, that's all your Z is.
4. No, the Z/G are what they are. The Z isnt a stripped G. It's Nissan's "affordable" sports car. The G is Nissan's base level GT coupe.

Last edited by tekk; 10-14-2005 at 04:40 AM.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:40 AM
SilverII

I dont understand why you still have to defend the G. I have a G and it is just FACT that it is a higher class than the 350Z. The topic is not subjective.... It is just FACT!
Old 10-14-2005, 06:17 AM
Tattude

Originally Posted by SilverII
I dont understand why you still have to defend the G. I have a G and it is just FACT that it is a higher class than the 350Z. The topic is not subjective.... It is just FACT!
No agruements with that statement...
Just like it's a FACT that the 350Z is a better sports car in EVERY way shape or form.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:20 AM
jrod1014

i guess this stupid insulting of cars happens on every forum... everyone on the maxima forum hates on the Z and fails to appreciate it for what it is... same on this forum except it's with the G. both cars are just plain awesome... it comes down to what you prefer. i'd give the speed nod to the Z but they're basically the same animals once modified... lets learn to love guys... different cars but the same heart...
Old 10-14-2005, 06:48 AM
tmounk

I agree with the rat, the 350 is a true sports car and it has better aero parts as well.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:01 AM
tekk

Originally Posted by SilverII
you're right- its just very frustrating to be here to share knowledge with other drivers of a very similar car, and then they start bashing yours, albeit mostly out of ignorance. it makes me question why i even come here to begin with. if there were another forum without the bs i would go there, but i cant. g35driver.com is ok but that site is poorly moderated (although it is getting better), has immature members as well, and is much smaller so it doesnt have the same wealth of info as this one does.

oh well i guess you cant have it all

Last edited by tekk; 10-14-2005 at 07:14 AM.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:19 AM
heeb1

You guys are ridiculous.

I have a G and I love it. I would take a Z over a G any day, but I needed a back seat.

Yes, the Z is better performancewise and is an all out sports car.. The G has the smoother ride and added luxuries.

There shouldnt be such hostility between Z and G owners. I could understand the heated debates between the EVO and the STi, but come on now.. The Z and G are practically brothers

Last edited by heeb1; 10-14-2005 at 07:23 AM.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:26 AM
350ZLO

the z is more of a sports car and the g35 is like a luxery car. The g35 is a "nicer" car. the Z will always be faster tho, and i think the Z looks better than a g35.
as for heritage the Z has way more history and tradition than the g35. the Z car has been out since the 1970's being one of the first imported sports cars in the US. First with the 280Z and those early types then matured into the 300ZX and now with the 350Z. Thats almost 35 years of tradition being passed from generation of car to generation of car. All are 6 cylindar RWD 2 seater sports cars. the g35 is built off the 350z. thats why Nissan MAKES Infinity. No one says Infinity makes Nissan. As for the comment about the skyline, yes skylines do have a rich heritage but they have changed so much over the years. first with the almost four door like grocery getters yes they were here before the Z car but now a skyline is not even close that first model. Twin Turbo AWD racing monster. The Z car has always been a sports car, not an evolution of a family sedan. Yes, now everyone says ohhh Skyline Skyline because of it crazy potential and performance. Stock versus Stck a skyline is probably a better car but u cant compare a skyline to a g35, thats insane. The infinity g35 is a variation of a Z.

Last edited by 350ZLO; 10-14-2005 at 07:36 AM.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:27 AM
SoFl_G

Originally Posted by AZZGUY
You're like the talk show host who needs callers to make him popular! He often plays the Devil's advocate.

I do wonder why the G35 lovers arent doing the G35 forum.
I've never wandered over there - lack of interest I guess.
The tech over here is far better. Over there we can have discussions about the new 20" rims, detailing, etc for the most part. That's fine, but I want to read about FI the VQ and how high and flat a torque curve the VQ can make reliably. I plan on someday having my G as fast as my RX was. Over here, the 350Z brethern are more about performance. That's what I want to read about.
I love the 350 and always say hello/wave to them when I see them. Often they don't reply in kind

Bottom line, both are great cars and the fact that the platform is common benefits both of us as the development of parts is for a larger vehicle base.

Quick Reply: Why do people think G35 is a class higher than 350z?