Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Why do people think G35 is a class higher than 350z?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 08:18 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oldsnail
so many people think g35... not even g35c is a class higher than 350z..
people think that just because it has infiniti badge, it's more expensive and better car..
Few days ago, I was telling a friend I was debating what to get between g35c and 350z, and she goes, but g35 is too expensive! and trust me, it's not the first time I've heard that.. :P
Umm because it is. LOL If you think the 350z is the same class as the G35 get real.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:20 AM
EZZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 350ZLO
the z is more of a sports car and the g35 is like a luxery car. The g35 is a "nicer" car. the Z will always be faster tho, and i think the Z looks better than a g35.
as for heritage the Z has way more history and tradition than the g35. the Z car has been out since the 1970's being one of the first imported sports cars in the US. First with the 280Z and those early types then matured into the 300ZX and now with the 350Z. Thats almost 35 years of tradition being passed from generation of car to generation of car. All are 6 cylindar RWD 2 seater sports cars. the g35 is built off the 350z. thats why Nissan MAKES Infinity. No one says Infinity makes Nissan. As for the comment about the skyline, yes skylines do have a rich heritage but they have changed so much over the years. first with the almost four door like grocery getters yes they were here before the Z car but now a skyline is not even close that first model. Twin Turbo AWD racing monster. The Z car has always been a sports car, not an evolution of a family sedan. Yes, now everyone says ohhh Skyline Skyline because of it crazy potential and performance. Stock versus Stck a skyline is probably a better car but u cant compare a skyline to a g35, thats insane. The infinity g35 is a variation of a Z.
You are right that the G35 has no real heritage in the US, however, what Tek said is true in that the G35 is the Skyline in Japan (more specifically, the Skyline 350GT). There are many variations of the Skyline including the GTR. The Skyline actually has a very rich heritage and is considered as the Nissan flagship name in Japan. In the US though, the Z name has stronger brand equity. Finally, the G35 came BEFORE the 350Z (and was developed before the Z33) so technically, the Z is a variation of the G35.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:27 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Originally Posted by mecinoid
I agree with the Infiniti badge part. I do not agree on the interior. That was one of the reasons I went with a 350Z. I couldn't get over how cheap the interior felt to me. What up with the analog clock as well?
It seemed like it was more smooth plastic. At least the 350Z seemed to have some texture to it for me.

Put a 350Z and a G35 next to each other. Based just on total hieght of the G35 alone you'll probably get a 350Z. The 350Z is like 2" lower stock. It adds to the overall good looks of the 350Z.
G35 interior cheap? I mean the 350z is terrible for interior materials but the G35 03-04 was better and now 05 blows anything Nissan has for interior quality away (not including Infiniti side)

2"? I don't believe so. About 1 inch to be correct.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:29 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Originally Posted by oman
G35= 4 seater=slower=not a sports car

350z=2seater!=fast=sports car!

If I was like 40 and had kids Id roll the G35 but im not Im young and just wanna go fast with me and my girl!
Hmm really? Tests show the G35 handles better, equally as fast. And its a Sports car called the Skyline
Old 10-14-2005, 08:33 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Originally Posted by xirtam
G35's are crap. They are wanna-be Z's. All those punks that drive one try to sound like us and try to be like us. But head to head, the Z's will always smoke them. That's fine if you wanna drive a a seemingly more luxurious, but slower car. I choose the Z anyday!!
Come to Texas. Let's see if that really happens

I have friends with 350z, actually part of the 350z club/Z32. And guess what, my car actually is faster than some of them
Old 10-14-2005, 08:39 AM
AZZGUY

Originally Posted by tekk
you're right- its just very frustrating to be here to share knowledge with other drivers of a very similar car, and then they start bashing yours, albeit mostly out of ignorance. it makes me question why i even come here to begin with. if there were another forum without the bs i would go there, but i cant. g35driver.com is ok but that site is poorly moderated (although it is getting better), has immature members as well, and is much smaller so it doesnt have the same wealth of info as this one does.

oh well i guess you cant have it all
Agreed - I dont go to other car forums to defend the Z - I dont feel it has to be defended - its merits speek for itself!
It truly is a great sports car - equal to cars sold for twice it's price.
Enough said??
( people who start defending their auto against another auto are trying to saisfy their own doubts usually )
Old 10-14-2005, 08:44 AM
arjunz

I'm kind of disappointed by the immaturity on this thread. I myself am 18 years old and i drive a G35 Coupe. G35 is asports coupe, which looks better IMO. obviously im going to be biased. but the Z isn't a bad car either, Just cuz i have a G doesnt mean i talk **** about the Z's.. some of you guys sound really bitter. Cost more, Cost less? .. who cares .. Enjoy your car, dont hate and don't state your opinions like they are facts.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:47 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Because if you look at these forums there is a area called G35. And the ENGINES, chassis, etc are all the same. The car can swap parts between them. That is why WE ARE HERE.

I bet you don't even know about the new mod I am testing on the REV up engine that gives 20 hp and 20 tq through the midrange of only the REV 05+ model cars. It has been dynoed on 6 cars and proven to give a lot of power. But no details are allowed to be released till SPORT Z MAGAZINE does it. Oh yea, G35 is part of that magazine too.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:02 AM
Z33Concept

Originally Posted by oldsnail
so many people think g35... not even g35c is a class higher than 350z..
people think that just because it has infiniti badge, it's more expensive and better car..
Few days ago, I was telling a friend I was debating what to get between g35c and 350z, and she goes, but g35 is too expensive! and trust me, it's not the first time I've heard that.. :P

Because they are idiots
Old 10-14-2005, 09:07 AM
blueg35

Default G35 = One of the best looking coupes ever

Originally Posted by krgs2k
g35=old fart sports car

wow u guys really hate us G35 drivers. First off, the G35 is a BEAUTIFUL car. It has been called "one of the best looking coupes ever" by more than one car magazine. Including "car and driver" and "road and track". It has a much more reserved and classy look than the 350Z. And has many other luxury extras, including a smoother ride and 4 seats which puts it into a higher more luxurious class of cars.

I drove my ex boyfriends 350Z for quite sometime before i bought the G35 and i have to admit it was too loud too rough and too uncomfortable for me. But then again I'm a girl i like a nice smooth ride. My car costs about 7K more than his but it was worth every penny!!!

And for the guy that said "G35=old fart" here is a picture of me and my Caribbean Blue G35. And by the way I'm 22 and many G35 drivers are around my age.

and as you can all see I have debadged the car entirely and it says nissan everywhere now. Because yes it is a nissan and I'm proud of that.
Always been and always will be a true Nissan Fan!!!
Old 10-14-2005, 09:09 AM
blueg35

Originally Posted by arjunz
I'm kind of disappointed by the immaturity on this thread. I myself am 18 years old and i drive a G35 Coupe. G35 is asports coupe, which looks better IMO. obviously im going to be biased. but the Z isn't a bad car either, Just cuz i have a G doesnt mean i talk **** about the Z's.. some of you guys sound really bitter. Cost more, Cost less? .. who cares .. Enjoy your car, dont hate and don't state your opinions like they are facts.
+1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
couldn't have put it better.
I love my G but i totally respect all the Z owners. Our local club has way more Zs than Gs and we all treat each other with respect and never talk **** about each others cars beacuse after all they are pretty much the same thing.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:18 AM
blueg35

Default One Big Happy Family

It's that simple:
Old 10-14-2005, 09:23 AM
EX250

Well on a side note, Damn blueg35 that was one hell of a picture to wake up to.

I don't understand all the hate on this board. The Z and the G, it's night and day as far as "what you want" from a car, but through and through, the cars are brothers/cousins/whatever you wanna call them. Come over to the G boards (and while its more about the car itself than the technical aspects, which is why I frequent sections here) you'll never find one post in anyway bashing the living hell out of the Z. We all got our cars for differnt reasons. Personally, I turned 20 and wanted a sports car (coming out of a vortech supercharged chevy s10 xtreme). I was compairing the Z and the STi (I know, broad difference) and neither "did it" for me. The Z was a hoot to drive, I loved the motor (esp the sound), the gear box was a little rough but the one thing I wanted was more interior room. The STi felt alot more powerful, the AWD was a blast, however, rocking a 4 door just isnt something I like doing. Subaru pretty much figured out I wasn't gonna buy the car and got very distant in helping me with anything, and honestly, they could have probably turned me around if they offered me a little bit of an attractive price on the car. However, they instead neglected me out the door. The salesman at Nissan realized where the Z was "lacking" in the areas that I personally (note the word personally) wanted and recommended placing an order on a G35 @ the local Infiniti dealer. I was blown away that they TOLD me to go to an Infiniti dealer, giving up any commission they would have recieved, but they could tell I wasn't truely happy. I had no idea what the G35 was at the time, and the first time I saw it, I fell in love. 3 days later I took delivery of one of the first 2003.5 (center console revision) G35's in New Jersey. I got to watch the car come off the trailer and everything. It was a real blast. I got the car because of the fact that it had ALL the things I loved about the 350Z, plus everything else I wanted out of the the 350Z. I'm now 22, and still love every minute of the G35.

Seriously though, whats with all the hate? Yes, the Z is the "sports car" and yes the G is the "sports coupe/lux GT" but who cares? I've beaten 350's in straight line races, they've beaten me. At the end of the run, I usually wind up talking to the owner and the passion for the car is what keeps it in perspective. Win or loose, your basically competeing against the same thing. You have a C/F driveshaft, I have better seats. You have a lighter car, I have back seats. Both reasons that I strayed from the Z to the G. Comparing the cars is one thing, but I'm very dissapointed in this board. The maturity level has gone down to about that of a Civic forum.

To those Z owners who actually proved there are a few out there without an ego the size of my cars *** end, thank you. If only there were more of you, this board would be a better place.

Ok done with my soap box, back to work.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:27 AM
AZZGUY

Default Back Seat

Originally Posted by heeb1
You guys are ridiculous.

I have a G and I love it. I would take a Z over a G any day, but I needed a back seat.

Yes, the Z is better performancewise and is an all out sports car.. The G has the smoother ride and added luxuries.

There shouldnt be such hostility between Z and G owners. I could understand the heated debates between the EVO and the STi, but come on now.. The Z and G are practically brothers
Were you aware that the 1990 300ZX had a model with a back seat? I owned one. It was called a 2+2 , had T-tops, Bose, leather, electric seats, 5 speed , was a beautiful car. You couldnt tell it from the regualar 300ZX until you got close to it and looked. I had it to 125 a a couple times - handled beautifully! I traded it for a 1995 Maxima and was sorry ever since. When the new 350 came out I knew I had to have one!
I think the lines of the 350 is one of the nicest in the true sports cars. I guess the only one I would rather have is in the $350 M range! ( I can dream , cant I ?? )
Old 10-14-2005, 09:27 AM
tree phidday

So much bitterness...tsk tsk. No matter if you drive a Z or a G, it's YOUR car. ENJOY YOUR CAR and let other people ENJOY THEIR CAR. There are no differences between a Z and a G in my eyes. They both have 4 wheels and moves. Leave it be. There can be discussions without such hate involved. As blueg35's picture/post depicts...."why can't we be friends?" .
Old 10-14-2005, 09:52 AM
Tattude

Originally Posted by G35_TX
Hmm really? Tests show the G35 handles better, equally as fast.
OK... and I have a 11" co-k
Old 10-14-2005, 09:56 AM
Tattude

Originally Posted by arjunz
Enjoy your car, dont hate and don't state your opinions like they are facts.
No opinions here...
350Z handles better, faster in every way
G35 is more luxuries, back seat
Old 10-14-2005, 10:10 AM
dothemath

Originally Posted by 350ZLO
the z is more of a sports car and the g35 is like a luxery car. The g35 is a "nicer" car. the Z will always be faster tho, and i think the Z looks better than a g35.
as for heritage the Z has way more history and tradition than the g35. the Z car has been out since the 1970's being one of the first imported sports cars in the US. First with the 280Z and those early types then matured into the 300ZX and now with the 350Z. Thats almost 35 years of tradition being passed from generation of car to generation of car. All are 6 cylindar RWD 2 seater sports cars. the g35 is built off the 350z. thats why Nissan MAKES Infinity. No one says Infinity makes Nissan. As for the comment about the skyline, yes skylines do have a rich heritage but they have changed so much over the years. first with the almost four door like grocery getters yes they were here before the Z car but now a skyline is not even close that first model. Twin Turbo AWD racing monster. The Z car has always been a sports car, not an evolution of a family sedan. Yes, now everyone says ohhh Skyline Skyline because of it crazy potential and performance. Stock versus Stck a skyline is probably a better car but u cant compare a skyline to a g35 , thats insane. The infinity g35 is a variation of a Z.

Not all Z's were 2 seaters. There were many body styles that offered 2+2 seating. The old 300z ceased production because it was too expensive to produce the sports car on its own dedicated chassis, and so sales slipped. The new FM platform designed for the larger market share Skyline in Japan created an opportunity to recreate the 350z on a common chassis. This allowed it to once again be an affordable sports car. If my memory serves me correct, and I do make mistakes, it was an American employee that brought the idea to Nissan to develope the Z again for the American market. A niche vehicle was not an initial idea for a company that was about to go under when Renault and Carlos Ghon took over. Nissan makes Infiniti badges to make an increased profit on "luxury" vehicles, nothing more.

Long live the FM platform!

Oh yeah, the first Z was the 240Z

Put the steering wheel on the right side and the G35 coupe is the Skyline 350gt. There is no comparison...they are the same car!

Last edited by dothemath; 10-14-2005 at 10:14 AM.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:15 AM
pdjafari

Main reason I bought a G35c vs 350z:

1. Back Seat
2. Wanted luxury/sports car
3. LED taillights are sexier IMO
4. Everyone and their mom drives a 350z in my area...(reason the 3 series coupe was out of the question..and its slower)
Old 10-14-2005, 10:16 AM
dothemath

Originally Posted by EZZ
You are right that the G35 has no real heritage in the US, however, what Tek said is true in that the G35 is the Skyline in Japan (more specifically, the Skyline 350GT). There are many variations of the Skyline including the GTR. The Skyline actually has a very rich heritage and is considered as the Nissan flagship name in Japan. In the US though, the Z name has stronger brand equity. Finally, the G35 came BEFORE the 350Z (and was developed before the Z33) so technically, the Z is a variation of the G35.
I see I repeated what you said, so I added faces to be different

Quick Reply: Why do people think G35 is a class higher than 350z?