2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350Z - Evo Comparo

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 07:17 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts
Default 350Z - Evo Comparo

Well if you don't know about six weeks ago I traded in my 03 Evo for an 03 350Z Touring...

First, both cars are fun cars to drive. I miss the turbo power the Evo had & the AWD. Although the Z is still a quick car, I think I need to get to lower altitude to really feel all its hp. I'm sure the AWD will be better up here in the winter time as well. I planned on buying a cheap 2nd/beater car for the winter anyhow, if I owned the Evo or 350Z. I don't miss always wondering what is going to break next on the Evo. I had numorous problems with it. I'm not saying that all Evo's are this way, but mine was. I love all the features I have with the Z that the Evo didn't had, IE; 1. CRUISE CONTROL!!! My right foot is so thankful for cruise. I am liking the leather seating and after the snow/cold weather we had a couple weeks ago, the heated seats. The Bose stereo could be nicer but I can deal with it right now. The Evo's Recaro held you in nicer but I don't plan on doing much autoxing/racing in the Z. I've always though the Z was a much nicer/sexier looking car than the Evo. I don't miss the large wing in the rearview but the Z rear window is so small I can bearly see anything far behind me. I do love the onboard computer that comes with the Z and the oil pressure and volt gauges.

Overall I think I'm much happier with the Z than the Evo. Everytime I think about or asked about the pluses and minuses the only thing I miss from the Evo is its power. I'm glad to be back into a sports coupe. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:32 AM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the Z

My friend just got a 06 MR and constantly rags on how much better the EVO is over the Z.

Glad to know that you're enjoying the Z more though. FI the Z and the only thing you'll miss is AWD
Old 11-17-2005, 07:47 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

I've been eyeing some surperchargers... But won't come for a long time. Really want a audio/visual system & some Gram Light wheels 1st.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:57 AM
350zQ45a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went into the Mitsu dealer to buy an MR and walked out with a used Z and about 14k less in debt.

I love the attitude of the evo and the sti, but I don't really like the cars over all. I mean they are brilliantly engineered, but when it comes down to it, they are brilliantly engineered econo cars for the most part (please dont flame)

I don't like the way I sit in them, the way the interior feels, etc etc compared to the Z.

The Z is a proper 2 seater sports car. I love the way I am cocooned in the interior.

I think they are entirely different cars for diff people. For me, I needed a daily driver and after driving the Z, I knew it would be much more competent in that aspect then an EVO. The EVO is an amazing car, and when you can open it on a track or autoX even, it's appeal becomes evident with every G of grip, and that nasty turbo boosting you to the back of your seat (nothing like the b00st baby)

So I do wish my Z had the blowdryers, but it has so much going for it.

This is a great time for enthusiasts, just 4 or 5 years ago it looked the end of anything sporty at all.

The styling directions of the evo and sti are a little scary, I hope they can produce something that is sexy as well as fast
Old 11-17-2005, 08:02 AM
makim
Banned

[QUOTE=Robert_K]Well if you don't know about six weeks ago I traded in my 03 Evo for an 03 350Z Touring...
Evo didn't had, IE; 1. CRUISE CONTROL!!! My right foot is so thankful for cruise. I am liking the leather seating and after the snow/cold weather we had a couple weeks ago, the heated seats. The Bose stereo could be nicer but I can deal with it right now. The Evo's Recaro held you in nicer but I don't plan on doing much autoxing/racing in the Z. I've always though the Z was a much nicer/sexier looking car than the Evo. I don't miss the large wing in the rearview but the Z rear window is so small I can bearly see anything far behind me. I do love the onboard computer that comes with the Z and the oil pressure and volt gauges.

[QUOTE]

if you want cruise controll evo is not the car for you
its not comfortable and not really a daily driver

if you want a car that you can mod and race against pretty much anything out there evo is for you.

ps this is 350 forum but dont believe that modded 350 can hang with modded evo, it cant. i had evo and it made 400whp on stock turbo, tt 350 was always slower, stop/roll, im not even gonna mention handling...
Old 11-17-2005, 08:05 AM
350zQ45a

Last edited by 350zQ45a; 11-17-2005 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:07 AM
350zQ45a

Yea but evo and STI both have AWD and can knock off some incredible 0-60 times.

All things being equal a 350 shouldnt be that outmatched if they are modded equal and the race is on the freeway.

Of course the Z is an N/A car, and the VQ wasn't designed to be boosted significantly without some internal work.

The Z is pretty much tapped out stock, where as the EVO can be had to whatever suits you.

Hell the british MR is a total beast and could hang with the murcialago (sp) on top gears test track, so cleary its a capable car.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:12 AM
Fletch69z

Yeah, welcome to the 350z club! And you're right, you don't have to wonder what will break on the Z because you know it will either be the tranny or the window motors, . JK, I've not had problems with either...yet.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:37 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by makim

ps this is 350 forum but dont believe that modded 350 can hang with modded evo, it cant. i had evo and it made 400whp on stock turbo, tt 350 was always slower, stop/roll, im not even gonna mention handling...
So I am to assume that you can furnish a timeslip from your Evo that is quicker than the time and trap in my sig?
Old 11-17-2005, 10:43 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
So I am to assume that you can furnish a timeslip from your Evo that is quicker than the time and trap in my sig?
I know of serveral Evo's that have passed up the 11's and a handful of 9's.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:45 AM
EVOL 8

Originally Posted by Robert_K
I know of serveral Evo's that have passed up the 11's and a handful of 9's.
me too. That car isn't that quick compared to some evos.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:48 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Originally Posted by EVOL 8
me too. That car isn't that quick compared to some evos.
11.72 in notthing. There are a handful in colorado at 5000-6000' that are running low 12's and high 11's.
Edit: http://www.automotosports.com/ <~9.41 @156.6 I believe World's Fastest Evo, no NOS.

Last edited by Robert_K; 11-17-2005 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:23 AM
makim
Banned

dude please

i did low 12's on stock turbo, with 2000bucks in parts, know any other cars that can do that??? as for evos 11.9 its a joke, take a look at evonm.net
10sec and 11 is pretty common

dont get me wrong i love my nissan but its a sporty coupe compared with an evo, again not even gonna mention handling and braking performance
Old 11-17-2005, 11:32 AM
gnxs

if you want cruise controll evo is not the car for you
its not comfortable and not really a daily driver

if you want a car that you can mod and race against pretty much anything out there evo is for you.

A properly modded TT350z can certainly run with modded Evos. I came up against several examples of both this Summer and the TT350z's would have more than held their own against the street Evos I encountered.

P.S. - Don't the Evo guys ever get sick of quoting times from AMS' Evo. We're talking street cars from forum members, not race cars from Tuner Shops. I believe BriGuyMax asked about Makim's car, not the world's fastest non-N20 Evo (which BTW is about 25 miles from where BriGuyMax lives and which he's probably seen at GLD making passes).
Old 11-17-2005, 11:35 AM
gnxs

dude please

i did low 12's on stock turbo, with 2000bucks in parts, know any other cars that can do that??? as for evos 11.9 its a joke, take a look at evonm.net
10sec and 11 is pretty common

dont get me wrong i love my nissan but its a sporty coupe compared with an evo, again not even gonna mention handling and braking performance
Uh....yes, I can think of several cars that could go low 12's with a $2,000 investment.

When I was at Byron this past Sunday there was a gaggle of modded Evo's there....the quickest one was going mid 12's.

I believe his answer is - "No".

Last edited by gnxs; 11-17-2005 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:37 AM
makim
Banned

Originally Posted by gnxs

A properly modded TT350z can certainly run with modded Evos. I came up against several examples of both this Summer and the TT350z's would have more than held their own against the street Evos I encountered.

passes).
FEW THINGS YOU NEED TO UNDERSTAND
1 im an evo guy, 350z guy now
2 ive seen modded hondas that ran 11's, thats not the point

stock evo, vs stock 350 on a race track, (pick any)
evo will absolutelly destroy it, the longer and more turns the track the bigger the evo advantage. Ive had both so please dont try to tell me how good 350 is, few cars out there handle like an evo. 4g63 is monster, i has always been, im not sure why people quote ams, all over the world its the same, tuners got down to 9's and 10sec is nothing special
Old 11-17-2005, 11:39 AM
makim
Banned

Uh....yes, I can think of several cars that could go low 12's with a $2,000 investment.

enlighten me,
Old 11-17-2005, 11:41 AM
gnxs

enlighten me,
My Cobra for one.

Any LSx based car for two.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:44 AM
gnxs

FEW THINGS YOU NEED TO UNDERSTAND
1 im an evo guy, 350z guy now
2 ive seen modded hondas that ran 11's, thats not the point

stock evo, vs stock 350 on a race track, (pick any)
evo will absolutelly destroy it, the longer and more turns the track the bigger the evo advantage. Ive had both so please dont try to tell me how good 350 is, few cars out there handle like an evo. 4g63 is monster, i has always been, im not sure why people quote ams, all over the world its the same, tuners got down to 9's and 10sec is nothing special
Who cares about stock, I was replying to your statement:

....to which I disagree (based on my real world experience).

However, stock vs. stock the Evo is the quicker car.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:45 AM
makim
Banned

My Cobra for one.

Any LSx based car for two.
few cobras that beat me were on slicks and with nitrous, pulleys etc
again on a race track even slower then 350

Quick Reply: 350Z - Evo Comparo