Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Proud new owner looking for some mod advice.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 02:58 PM
neworleansgt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proud new owner looking for some mod advice.

Hi guys, I am the proud new owner of an 2006 nissan 350z automatic. I have a couple of questions about mods. The first question I have is are performance chips(ECU mod like utec) worth a **** on the 350z's. The reason I ask is I had a 2002 mustang gt and the chip(diablo) made a huge diffrence. However, I cant find a post about a NA car with a chip in it that made a diffrence The car will never be see a charger/turbo. Also, the only mods that will be done are intake, exhaust, and gears. Knowing this, is a chip worth getting, if so where do I get one and from whom. My next question is about exhaust. I dont want to get flamed for this but I dont know any other way to put it. I hate the sound of those rice burners. I was wodering if they made an exhaust that carried a very deep throaty tone to it, as close to the noise of the ehaust off of my mustang. And for the last question, what gears and where do I go to get them for the car. I put 3.73's in my stang and it made a world of diffrence. However, from what I have read, I think the Z's come stock with 3.73's. What gears do you reccomend for my car. Gas is not a big concern. Thanks soo much for taking your time to answer these questions. I am also located in south lousisana and I dont know of any good speed shops down here. If anyone knows of any, please let me know. Again thanks a million
Old 02-22-2006, 03:43 PM
rockinbboy

There are plenty of different mods for NA cars and as you surf the forums, you can see it in people's signatures and usually they even post their RWHP and RWTQ dyno results. Some are pretty impressive. The tricky thing with the Z is you have to combine the right mods and make sure you do your hmwk. Check the subforums for intake/exhaust/ecu/gears. Do a search for the final drive 3.9 gear (I believe is the name). You got an automatic..so your engine is not the rev-up engine. You will have more choices for mods I believe. Good luck! Congrats on the new car...and welcome to the forums.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:01 PM
showstoppertk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first thing I would recommend is to browse around this forum and do some real research. figure out what you want out of your Z before you start just buying crap and sticking it on there. before you know it you'll have spent thousands of dollars to get a few hp. if you want to biggest bang for the buck just start saving up for FI. if you're ok with bolt on's then a "chip" or ECU will be one of the last things you'll probably get for your Z. please keep in mind that you will probably end up with less than 300rwhp with all the bolt on's available even with tuning, unless you get into your internals which is expensive. that is why most folks who started out by saying they don't want to go FI, end up regretting not doing it in the first place. you could end up spending double the money of FI and still end up with less power.

as for the exhaust question I would say the borla true dual is the closest thing to a deep throaty sound, but it will never sound like a v8. why? well b/c its not a v8. besides most folks on here agree that the sound the VQ makes is very nice as is.

as for the gears, I believe you have a 3.5 gear ratio. you could get the 3.9's and that should make a decent difference.

oh and as for the chip question. there is no "chip" that I know of. however there are reflashes of the ECU as well as many piggyback options. but like I said, if you plan on staying N/A you shouldn't probably be worrying about that till you have as least the basic bolt on's.

welcome to the board and have fun modding.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:05 PM
neworleansgt

Thanks guys, I have read throough the forums and know a little bit about the moding world. The mods are more for the eyes and ears then anything else. Thanks a bunch for the replies
Old 02-23-2006, 04:08 PM
streetracer

I think one of the best mods is brakes. They look insane, stop better than most any car exept of course Porsches and are lighter. Stock brakes are made of iron and the rotors are smaller, specially the back one. Try to find a Track model in a junkyard. I got mine for $1.6k w/ rotors and Rays.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:52 PM
davidf

Call performance Nissan they usually stock Track model brake kits, this is proly your best bet.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:09 PM
DesiZ_06

what u mean by 3.5 gear ratio and that we shud get 3.9 gear?? i dont understand this..im a noob at this stuff..im a new owner of 2006 350z model ..touring automatic..so i was thinkin of getting cold air intake and nismo exhaust first..so iono...lolz help me out! im clueless..i still do my hw and i dont get it..im sry for being dumb..
Old 02-23-2006, 06:30 PM
MYZISHOT

If you wanted the throaty sound of a mustang you should have kept the one you had...the 350 sound is awesome.