Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

What brand Oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 06:22 AM
Anomaly

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I used Mobil 1 5w30 for two oil changes and currently have Amsoil 5w30.

Really don't have a comment on which I prefer as both seem to do their job - engine hasn't seized.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:48 AM
Z CRUZN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mobil 1 in tranny, engine & rear diff. - 27k miles - no problems.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:54 AM
Eliane

I think it doesn't really matter what kind of oil - I just go to the dealer and say "change the oil please"
Old 02-27-2006, 03:46 AM
streetracer

Originally Posted by spcemn_spiff
Where is our in-house chemical engineer when we need him, wired 24/7, are you around sir?

Would you care to comment on viscosity for same weight different brand oils, the buzzwords for additives that oil makers use to make people buy their oil.

If there are any independant tests done based on lubrication theories, let it come. Every other description is not worth looking into, its usually a marketing gimmick.
I'm not an engineer but I do have a BS in chemistry. Synerlec by name makes no reference to any compounds. This means that looking at the name you cannot tell the family it belongs to or its functional groups in the molecule. Chemically speaking, it certainly makes sense that one motor oil is better than another by not allowing the molecules to be spread during friction. This can be performed by manipulating ionic or covalent bonds in the molecules and/or playing with other types of forces like hydrogen bridges or Van Der Waals bonds.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:25 AM
spacemn_spiff

Originally Posted by streetracer
I'm not an engineer but I do have a BS in chemistry. Synerlec by name makes no reference to any compounds. This means that looking at the name you cannot tell the family it belongs to or its functional groups in the molecule. Chemically speaking, it certainly makes sense that one motor oil is better than another by not allowing the molecules to be spread during friction. This can be performed by manipulating ionic or covalent bonds in the molecules and/or playing with other types of forces like hydrogen bridges or Van Der Waals bonds.
Good to see your response. I agree with you that some additives might make the lubrication effect better, but to think that oils with additives meeting SAE performance and viscosity standards are far inferior to these specialized oils as far as hydrodynamic lubrication is concerned is questionable. Viscosity plays a huge part in hydrodynamic/static lubrication and friction resulting from that.

If using these additives is a common knowledge in oil/lubrication industry and achieves far superior performance will just make the standards set by SAE ineffective, which I dont think is the case. So I feel these so called Superior Oils that dont provide any information about their actual testing or performance characterized by Tribologists is almost a marketing gimmick, all they resort to is using flowerly language to attract unsuspecting buyers.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:25 AM
Beeker

I've used Mobil 1 since my first oil change at 3000 miles. I don't seem to burn any oil inbetween oil changes.