Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

My 350Z Saga !

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 07:23 PM
RainmanZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 350Z Saga !

As many of you know, my 350z was in the shop right after Christmas due to rough idle, stalling and poor acceleration. The car was initially diagnosed with a defective ECM. Said part was subsequently replaced, the car was driven home and promplly resumed the aforementioned behavior within 2 days.

I returned the car to my dealer 01/02/03 for additional evaluation. There it has remained for an additional 5 weeks. A second ECM was replaced but this failed to correct the problem. Several other part swapping attempts were made ,( all under the watchful guide of the nissan tech folks),all of which have failed to correct the problem.

Finally , they have admitted their inability to diagnose the nature of the problem as well as their inability to fix my car.

So guess what... ? They have requested that Nissan REPLACE my car. I am suppose to know their answer tomorrow. My dealer says he has never had to replace one before . Fortunatly , my dealer recieved a 350z identical to mine late last week. It has a hold on it and if everything goes well I will have a Z again soon.

Can you believe this **** ?

Talk about frustration....I will update everyone tomorrow.

Robert !
Old 02-11-2003, 08:17 PM
marcZZZ
not a regular pain in the ass

Default Can't believe that story

Hi Rainman Z I haven't seen you here for a long time, I thought you were just busy driving your Z. I hope they do the right thing and give you the new car and then take yours back to figure out WTF is wrong with it. We waited sooo long to have this happen. Good luck with the decision...what a pain for them to have your Z for over 5 weeks........unheard of, insane...you are way too nice, I would have had to be medicated...my nickname is"pitbull with lipstick" go figure. Marcy
Old 02-11-2003, 08:32 PM
Intrepid

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All states have strict lemon laws. These laws protect the consumer from defective cars that can not be repaired within a set period of time. If the car is not repaired it must be replaced or a refund issued.

For example, in Alabama, if the car is out of service and in the custody of the dealer for 30 or more days, the dealer must fully refund the contract purchase price or give the consumer a brand new car.

Here is a list of the lemon laws in all 50 states:

http://www.lemonlaw.bbb.org/

RainmanZ,
Based on the info you provided, you are legally entitled to a new 350Z or your money back in full. If they fail to do this, please consult with an attorney as there are additional details and requirements before you can recover on a claim.

Good Luck with your new Z !!!
Old 02-12-2003, 05:38 AM
cotmfk

Good luck! I hope you get the new car as well! I wouldn't trust the reliability of the old one!
Old 02-13-2003, 07:14 PM
RainmanZ

Default The Latest !

First I recieved a call yesterday from my dealer who said the factory Tech arrived to work on my car and spent all day. He discovered that a heat sensor on the engine was not working correctly due to faulty wiring. He corrected the problem and the feel the car is repaired.

Today I recieved a call this morning from a NNA representative.Very professional and polite. He reviewed the details of my cars problem and confirmed the details as previously posted. Simply put, the faulty wiring connection on a sensor on the engine was causing a malfunction which lead to the computer going into failsafe mode.Hard to identify but simple to fix .

Now for the interesting part. He wished to assure me that Nissan had full confidence in their product and intended to stand behind it completely.NNA is providing me with a Nissan Gold extended warrenty of 7 years or 100,00 miles NO CHARGE.Definately goes a long way toward soothing the wound so to speak.Should I experience the same problem again then we will have a serious bone to pick. For now I feel Nissan has come through for me albiet slowly.Amazing how quickly things move when it is about to cost a lot of money don't you think.

The Z ran perfectly on the drive home. I plan a longer drive tomorrow as I am off of work.

Definately pleased with the response from NNA.

BTW Intrepid, thanks for the Lemon law info. I hope it does not have to come in handy.

Robert
Old 02-13-2003, 09:31 PM
Boomer

Default Re: The Latest !

Originally posted by RainmanZ
First I recieved a call yesterday from my dealer who said the factory Tech arrived to work on my car and spent all day. He discovered that a heat sensor on the engine was not working correctly due to faulty wiring. He corrected the problem and the feel the car is repaired.

Today I recieved a call this morning from a NNA representative.Very professional and polite. He reviewed the details of my cars problem and confirmed the details as previously posted. Simply put, the faulty wiring connection on a sensor on the engine was causing a malfunction which lead to the computer going into failsafe mode.Hard to identify but simple to fix .

Now for the interesting part. He wished to assure me that Nissan had full confidence in their product and intended to stand behind it completely.NNA is providing me with a Nissan Gold extended warrenty of 7 years or 100,00 miles NO CHARGE.Definately goes a long way toward soothing the wound so to speak.Should I experience the same problem again then we will have a serious bone to pick. For now I feel Nissan has come through for me albiet slowly.Amazing how quickly things move when it is about to cost a lot of money don't you think.

The Z ran perfectly on the drive home. I plan a longer drive tomorrow as I am off of work.

Definately pleased with the response from NNA.

BTW Intrepid, thanks for the Lemon law info. I hope it does not have to come in handy.

Robert
Sounds good. BTW, did they replace the individual coils on each sparkplug. I went round and round w/my wife's 92 Maxima. Each sparkplug has a small ignition coil and its very hard to duplicate by the dealer. If you still have problems, sounds like you won't, have them replace 2 on the opposite side, you can't just replace one for some arcane reason.
Old 02-14-2003, 09:30 AM
cotmfk

Sounds like good news! Congrats. Now you can really enjoy your Z!
Old 02-14-2003, 01:42 PM
zeroday

wow, you really gotta respect nissan for resolving that for you AND giving you the extended warranty. Not many car companies would do that, I speak from experience .
Old 02-15-2003, 03:46 AM
cotmfk

Originally posted by zeroday
wow, you really gotta respect nissan for resolving that for you AND giving you the extended warranty. Not many car companies would do that, I speak from experience .
That sucks.
Old 02-16-2003, 06:52 PM
Jason

Wow, that's really lucky if you ask me actually. I had unending problems with my MR2 Spyder and had to fight Toyota tooth-and-nail.

Of course in the end, I still lost the battle.

We should be lucky that Nissan is so willing to do what it takes to fix a problem.
Old 02-17-2003, 08:05 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

My brother has 30 years experince with Nissan as a master tech. He has told me many times that Nissan backs thier producxt this way. With them, they are embarrassed when their product does work properly. This is much different than my experience with Ford, GM, or dodge. I have a Dodge truck with excessive brake wear on the front brakes. come to finds out, they have a TSB that states the rear master cylinders are too small and need to be replaced in order for them to work. I call Dodge and they refused to do the repair unless I paid for it! So, i had to pay to fix their admitted engineering mistake. Be thankful you own a nissan. Nissan does not make a bad drivetrain. If it has got a problem, they will fix it.

Goodluck, Jeff
Old 02-17-2003, 03:29 PM
padam07

Originally posted by zland
....I have a Dodge truck with excessive brake wear on the front brakes. come to finds out, they have a TSB that states the rear master cylinders are too small and need to be replaced in order for them to work. I call Dodge and they refused to do the repair unless I paid for it! So, i had to pay to fix their admitted engineering mistake.....
That is pretty shitty that you had to pay for a technical service bulletin. I think that you were wrong to agree to pay for it. By law they have to service all TSBs at no cost. A TSB is the same thing a as a recall. They do not have to warn the owners about TSBs. They have to tell them about recalls because a recall is a safety issue. If in fact your problem with the truck was a TSB then I would try to get my money back.
Old 02-17-2003, 06:26 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

It is water under the bridge now being it was several years ago. The point being I am comparing Nissan to an American car company. No wonder they are losing market share. To me, it is a good thing they have big SUV's or what would they do? Is anyone out there really excited about a chevy Malibu or Ford contour?
Old 02-18-2003, 09:09 AM
padam07

It is water under the bridge now being it was several years ago. The point being I am comparing Nissan to an American car company. No wonder they are losing market share. To me, it is a good thing they have big SUV's or what would they do? Is anyone out there really excited about a chevy Malibu or Ford contour?
I agree 100%.
Old 02-18-2003, 10:49 AM
Boomer

Default US Treatment

A young woman in her late 20s or early 30s lived next door to me a few yrs ago and was employed by GM in OKC as a "LINE MANAGER", not sure of the title, but she started moving out about 18 months after she bought the house.

I asked her what was up and she said she had been offered and accepted a lateral move to Nissan's Tennesee plant doing the same job as she did for GM for more $, moving exspenses AND supervising 1/4 of the staff she had here. She also said her line would be producing as many or more cars than the one in OKC and employing American workers. Go figure.
Old 02-22-2003, 03:30 AM
ArcticLS1

Im sure nissan has a few bugs to work out before the 2004s are out...
Old 02-22-2003, 05:53 AM
cotmfk

Yep, yep, yep!