Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Looking for some opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 02:46 PM
Dream350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for some opinions

OK, so I started working at a Nissan dealership about 2 months ago as a salesman. Just last week I used my awesome discount to trade in my Z and buy a new car. They gave me 18500 for my 03 Touring w/ 53K. I had no problems whatsoever, and since I've started there I had an oil change and tires put on....no techs said anything about my car. My pre-owned manager gets in my car like 2 days after i traded it in, and says the clutch pedal is really stiff and its going to need a clutch he thinks. If it does, I have to pay for it. I was like ummmmmmmm I don't know about that, I don't see how it could be bad since 20K miles ago I had a new tranny put in under recall...which would give me an extended warranty on the tranny...right? He says clutch isn't covered under warranty. Whatever...we let it go at that.

3 days later the car goes in to service and they telling me I need clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, and a driveshaft. Apparently there was a big gash in my driveshaft or something like that. Soo I said well wtf, don't fix it just send it to the auction. He says he still needs to put a clutch in it to go to the auction....but the car doesn't grind at all and no shifting problems...its just stiff. I don't see why he still has to put a clutch in.

to make a long story short, shop bill is 3K to fix all that stuff....it'll prob be around 1,000 to put the clutch in....he says all he'll do is put the clutch in then take it to the auction. However much money he LOSES on it, I have to pay the difference? No work has been done yet, and I'm new here and I don't want to **** off the managers. But I don't see why I should have to pay for it. Me nor them had any knowledge of these things messed up beforehand. They wouldn't go after a 'normal' customer after they traded in a vehicle...but I'm just convenient. Anybody know how I should approach this situation?????

oh yea, and my dad owned several garages that were recently sold since he retired...we still have wholesale accounts so I could get a clutch at cost and probably have it put in for free....IF I KNEW ABOUT IT. I don't think its fair for me to pay dealership prices either. Had I knew I would have had to pay for all this, I obviously wouldn't have traded my car in, duh. Thanks for reading my rant
Old 06-25-2006, 02:52 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds wrong to me. Deal is a deal; its done. He just has leverage on you.

I'd say "no" & then find an attorney. have the latter talk to dealers owners if they get pushy.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:54 PM
Fletch69z

Yeah, that's bull****. After the car is traded and the deal is done, there is no going back. Do you think that if the car you bought from them was having the same problems they would pay to repair it? Hell no. Take them to court, cuz that is ridiculous.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:55 PM
Zmazing03

Thats absolutely bullcrap. I agree with Brickyard Rat --- say no and then call a lawyer if you have to.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:55 PM
CelticPride2

Total BS...they wouldn't go after a non-employee for something like that if they took the car in trade, so why should an employee be any different? I'd start calling a lawyer if they try and turn the screws on you.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:02 PM
AZZGUY

Just say no. I have considered the deal closed. It was a fair trade in. I assumed it was test driven before the deal was comletely closed. the car worked fine the last time I drove it. If they fire you - you will get a much sweeter deal! Lawyers love that kind of thing.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:05 PM
lilaznxboi08

dang man i feel you my clutch is worn out and my car wont even move...
Old 06-25-2006, 03:11 PM
Dream350Z

Well I was trying to be diplomatic in the situation. My used car manager(who generally appraises trade-ins for normal customers) DID NOT test drive it...however 3 different techs did, and last time I had it in, I said can you check over everything and make sure its all good....this was before I had any intentions of getting rid of the car too. Tech said everything was in sound condition. Their justification is that I paid cost for the vehicle that I bought(so they made no money on it) and that they gave me like 750 more than what my trade should have been worth since I worked there. I like my job, its good money and am trying to avoid getting fired, having to quit, etc. I don't know...the GM said we will talk about it on Monday.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:19 PM
Ichigo

It seems even employment does not pardon you from being screwed by a dealer.
If it needs repairs I would suggest that they talk to the person holding the title. Unless they put some kind of stipulation about the repairs in the contract, this deal was done days ago.

Either way you have a niceinsight on how things work at your new place of employment...

Last edited by Ichigo; 06-25-2006 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:24 PM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeez, that's a new low for a dealer. regardless of how they are leveraging you, a deal is a deal; papers are signed, it's done. There is nothing they can make you do. If they try to fire you over standing your ground, you have excellent case aganst them in court.

BTW, clutch was much stiffer in '03-'05 cars than '06, so if he's comparing it to a new one, he's an idiot. Besides, stiff clutch pedal does not = worn out clutch. You have your service records to prove everything was sound and they assessed it at trade. Anything could have happened to the car once they took posession of it and you are no longer responsible for it.

Last edited by MustGoFastR; 06-25-2006 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:21 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by scuba_steve
Unless they put some kind of stipulation about the repairs in the contract
That is my thought. Did you sell the Z to Nissan on a contingency basis not an as is sale?
Old 06-25-2006, 04:24 PM
AZZGUY

Default stiff clutch

Originally Posted by MustGoFastR
Jeez, that's a new low for a dealer. regardless of how they are leveraging you, a deal is a deal; papers are signed, it's done. There is nothing they can make you do. If they try to fire you over standing your ground, you have excellent case aganst them in court.

BTW, clutch was much stiffer in '03-'05 cars than '06, so if he's comparing it to a new one, he's an idiot. Besides, stiff clutch pedal does not = worn out clutch. You have your service records to prove everything was sound and they assessed it at trade. Anything could have happened to the car once they took posession of it and you are no longer responsible for it.
Hey, I couldnt believe how stiff my clutch was when I first bought the car. I have had a number of stick shift cars. It was 3,000 miles before I felt comfortable shifting the car. I was dieing at intersections if stopped for a left turn, and in starting up again in bumper to bumper traffic. I kept wishing I had taken the car back when I first got it and complained to the dealer about it. It now has 28,000 and I'm a pro at shifting! ( that's a long time).
Stick with your guns on this one!
Let us know your results of Monday!
Old 06-25-2006, 04:44 PM
Dream350Z

Originally Posted by davidv
That is my thought. Did you sell the Z to Nissan on a contingency basis not an as is sale?
nope when we settle on deals, employee and normal customer, there is a document printed up that says deal is final, and/or something that is owed by either party(dealership or buyer) For example, if funds are different there will be a stipulation, if an aftermarket accessory was promised at said price, that is on the document as well....it is called a 'WE OWE' document....well mine says nothing owed by either party. my car was traded as is. I know that I technically don't have to pay it....but is it the morally right thing to do??? he's probly going to end up losing 2 grand on it, maybe more......hell no am i paying that. I have a lot of money saved up and could pay it, but I think I'm just going to say "I don't have the money to pay now, and I'm paying off a credit card, and I have no idea what my salary is since I just started here...I have no way to pay it and I still think I don't have to pay anything" but then they'll have a chip on their shoulder and as you know, when I work deals with a customer...the managers control all the numbers....who knows if they'll **** me over on my deals and then I won't sell anything????
Old 06-25-2006, 04:51 PM
sidewayz2

Nissan even screws their own in the service dept....what a friggin shame!!!
Old 06-25-2006, 04:52 PM
Dialn24

Sounds like this situation is going to get ugly to me and very well may end up with you looking for another place to work. Especially, if you don't cave and don't pay for it. Which unless there was a stipulation in the contract that says you would have to pay in this sitation, you are likely NOT responsible for this. Was there anything you signed in the contract or even when you started employment that said you would be? If not, then you are going to have to make a choice.

Is it worth paying for this to continue working at this dealership? Are there going to be any bad feelings that linger because of this? Why pay if it's just going to be constantly used against you? Are there other reputable dealers in your area that would actually be better to work for and you would have the chance to make the same or more money then what you do now? Etc., etc., etc.

Good luck. This situation sucks because if you don't pay, I don't see how you will stay working at this dealership for any amount of time. Again, I'm not saying that's right, just likely the case.

I just seen your response above about the contract, etc. I could see something like this happening with your deals. Saying you grossed less then you really did so they get their money back. I am going to stick with what I said above. You don't pay this (which I don't think you should), you might as well consider that as your choice to leave this dealership. I just don't see it working out.

That being said, how long have you been there?

Last edited by Dialn24; 06-25-2006 at 04:59 PM.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:00 PM
Dialn24

Originally Posted by sidewayz2
Nissan even screws their own in the service dept....what a friggin shame!!!

How is Nissan screwing their own over? The dealership definitely is, but the company is not. This is dealership specific.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:13 PM
carsangelop

Dream You strated ther 2 months ago and dont know what your salery is yet .Up goes the BS flag
Old 06-25-2006, 05:24 PM
Dream350Z

Originally Posted by carsangelop
Dream You strated ther 2 months ago and dont know what your salery is yet .Up goes the BS flag
Well lets think here. I'm 20 years old...this is my first sales job, for my first 12 weeks, I get a base salary + commission. After 3 months is up, I go to commission only. do you have any idea how I'm supposed to calculate my salary Mr. smartazz know-it-all?

and Dialan I do agree with you...Nissna has nothing to do with this...its my managers.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:39 PM
AZZGUY

Default opinions

Originally Posted by carsangelop
I think the water will always be muddy there - whether you paid them or not - which you definitely have no reason to pay. So, as there are many good dealers to work for - just approach a nice one and apply!
I had a similar deal 10 years ago when I sold my last home. When closing costs are figured the seller has to pay the taxes up until the date of closing for that year (prorated per date ). Somehow they didnt catch that in the closing and I was credited with $1200 I shouldnt have been. I looked at the closing statement and they were correct. Now get this - the husband and wife both had high positions in the same bank - and there was 2 realtors involved - mine and theirs and the escrow company. That was 5 very knowledgeable real estate people - and none of them caught it.
The escrow company wrote me a letter asking me to send them a check for the amount . I ignored the letter. They called me one day I told them they could collect it from their insurers ( escrow companies have to carry insurance ) - and that that is what I would do if I made an error in my profession.
End of story.
Perhaps the dealorship could collect from their insurance carrier for error in duty??
Old 06-25-2006, 05:46 PM
carsangelop

Dream one post says I like my job its good money another post says I have no idea what my salary is yet. Im not trying to start any s__t here just a little confusing is all anyway good luck

Quick Reply: Looking for some opinions