Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power loss while driving ...again

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 04:38 PM
dedmoonstears

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power loss while driving ...again

happened again, last i took it to the dealership they couldnt replicate or find anything wrong...

I was in a highway offramp going to a street/intersection doing 50 to 65..i notice im slowing down withoout using brakes or removing my foot from gas i look and see that theres no speed reading/no lights at all anywhere as i instinctively remove my feet from the gas to go to the brake...nothing im dead and theres traffic in front,to the sides and behind me..i grab the ebrake but then think how bad it would be...so i steer as far right as i can but traffic is still close behind me, im as far as i can go to the side iwave the traffic to pass me by, the truck goes by only to reveal another semi behind him...in the heat of al this i try to slow the car down/stop it by going to park...yes i kjnow its bad but i didnt have any options in my mind but to stop to the side and put a sign or something... ( i have an auto) so what i did whas shift to lower gear...or go neutral...somehow i ended up going into park...probly the best option at the time since there was 2 cars waiting in the front intersection...i heard the most horrible sounbd ever..i tried to get out of park but was locked in...i was able to stop and restart the engine....gfonna go to the delearship tom to have em look at the car...

so any ideas...its been a while since this happened...
no engine mods only a k&N filter and a remote start

and more imprtntly is my transmisssion ****ed up, i know the car starts /drives properly and the park and brakes still work.

and yes the key was in the proper position...
for the filter when i checked there seems to be some puddle of oil/ enough to fill 1/16 of a teaspoon when i checked the side of the filter...strange though it has been 2 moths since ive cleaned/reoiled the thing and ive just driven at least an additional1000 mules just from a 3 day weekend...

Last edited by dedmoonstears; 08-25-2006 at 04:54 AM.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:55 PM
kdogg24

when that happens, shift your car into neutral, and try to start the car. I won't hurt it to start when your moving.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:58 PM
dedmoonstears

i was trying to shift into neutral but since i was preoccupied with the traffic ( cars in the side back and front and railing on my right ) i ended up pushing all the way to park...and the first thing i did was to restart/check key position...i remember it was the right position/cant remember if the key got stuck after it went to the off position

Last edited by dedmoonstears; 08-25-2006 at 04:54 AM.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:02 PM
bofa

I would check the remote start kit. Also, have you had the alternator and battery tested?
Old 08-24-2006, 08:32 PM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol you threw it into park while moving.... I would pay good money to see that...

when you talk about re oiling your filter... and it's been 2 months... and puddle of oil....

That leads me to think you over oiled the filter and fouled your MAF sensor... there definitely should not be any oil in the airbox.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:59 AM
dedmoonstears

Default the puddle

the puddle is very small as i said 1/16 of a teaspoon. with a swipe of my finger i was able to wipe it out,ive looged a lot of miles since i last cleaned /reoiled the filter...however is it possible that bec of the heat ( find it hard to believe with the engine temp inside being hotter) the oil became more fluid?stupid question but i cant seem to understand how it shows up now after so long a time.

i checked the seal inside the box/maf sensor all good...
Old 08-25-2006, 05:13 AM
raycs7

A possible cause is an improperly tightened air intake.
I had the issue when I "borrowed" the throttle body to test on another car.
Car went to idle mode on the I driving at 65mph.
R&Red the intake to ensure no air leaks corrected the situation. Has not happened in 6 months since.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:25 AM
josh846

I would bet it is your MAF. That happened to me, but i have a Turbo. I think mine went out due to the extra heat and the speed it goes past the MAF, I dont think the MAF can handle heat well. I replaced MAF and haven't had the problem since then, I have put about 1500 miles on it since then. When it went out the car would do fine if I drove it under normal conditions but once i got on it and rpms went above 5k it would shut off. I would have to pull over to the side of the road, wait a minute then restart the car.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:13 PM
Interlagos Fire

What's a MAF?
Sorry but I don't know much. I have been thinking about getting the K&N air filter, but now I'm a little uncertain.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:40 PM
dedmoonstears

ok just came from stealership...airbag now replaced...( another issue i had when i first got the car )...they say they cant verify or replicate the shutting down prob...and thats the best they can do, they know theres a problem thay can cause death or serious injury but they wont do anyfurther investigation.......what a load of bull**** wasted my time and money again.
should never have gotten a z...a got a 03 when i learned bout the problems they had i traded it in for a 04...ended up losing money and gaining negative equity...all because i didnt want to deal with stupid ****, now this happens..
Old 08-25-2006, 09:59 PM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

I agree that your MAF is probably wet with oil.

When this happens next time, remember this, "You have one push for power brakes after the motor dies, use it wisely!" then, after you have wasted that push, you still have brakes, they are just really hard to push, use both feet and put your heart into it, the car will stop.

Chris
Old 08-26-2006, 07:58 AM
i8acobra

Received 1,267 Likes on 1,015 Posts

Yep it's the MAF. AEM recently started switching to a dry filter on their intakes because the oil from the standard filters fouls the MAF sensor. If you have ANY oil in your airbox, you over oiled the filter. Remove the MAF sensor and VERY CAREFULLY clean it with a Q-tip dipped in alcohol.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:45 AM
SIRCRASHALOT

its definatley going to be your remote start where was it installed it may have been a crummy job on the installers part and shorted your ignition....
Old 08-29-2006, 12:12 PM
spazpilot

Now why would you not have brakes? Even with the car dead you should still have some manual brakes. Bad news on the tranny you might of taken half its life away.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:34 PM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spazpilot
Now why would you not have brakes? Even with the car dead you should still have some manual brakes. Bad news on the tranny you might of taken half its life away.
+1

Even with no engine and no boost, there is still some brake pressure (circa 200psi vs the normal 1200psi with boost). Just hit the pedal HARD !

Now, something needs to be clarified. The original poster said he had no lights ON in the dash and no speed reading. Does it mean the whole car had turned OFF ??? MAF would have nothing to do with it then. If this guy failed and killed the engine, it would be christmass time on the dash board...

I'd check the remote starter for sure !