Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Thoughts on different tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2002, 01:33 AM
NJZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on different tires

What's everyones personal opinions on the Bridgestone Potenza S03 Pole Positions, Michelin Pilot Sports, and BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KD's? On Tirerack.com they say that the S03's are the best but I want to know everyones opinions from personal experiences on which tire is the best way to go.
Old 07-16-2002, 03:58 AM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

You should also consider Toyo T1-S

They are among the best!! Price is good too

www.toyo.com
Old 07-16-2002, 05:21 AM
LS350Z
Charter Member #56

It's really going to depend on what you want.

Dry Traction:
Bridgestone Potenza S-02 (not the pole positions)
BFG g-Force TA
Michelin Pilot Sports

The winner here is definitely the S-02s.

Wet Traction (obviosly good dry traction just these are more geared for if you live in rainy areas):
Toyo T1-S
Bridgestone Potenza S-02 & S-03 Pole Positions
BFG g-Force TA KDs
Yokohama AVS Sports

Here there is no real clear winner but the T1-Ss are the cheapest by far.

What tire will I go with, it's hard to say. Bridgestone is by far pumping out the best tires now a days. Toyo T1-Ss are great tires especially for the price. Speed Challenge cars use these as spec tires, all of which are shaved. BFG's g-Force TAs are great tires (both the TA and TA KDs) as well as the Michelin Pilot sports.

I've owned just about all of the above tires or have at least driven really really hard on them. They've all got their pluses.

In the end my favorites are all the Bridgestone tires, Toyo T1-S (mainly due to cost), and the AVS Sports. Really you can't go wrong with any of them though.
Old 07-16-2002, 06:55 AM
nissan03

Are you going to stay with the factory tire sizes? If so...

(Based on info from the Tire Rack)

For the 18s...

I had a set of Potenza S-03's... It's an awesome tire. I've never driven the Pilot Sport, but I've heard good things about it. However, it's a lot more expensive than the Bridgestone (although neither tire is cheap), so I'd say save your $$ and get the S-03's. Or you can save even more $$ and stick with the factory RE040's.

For the 17s...

You might want to stick with the RE040's. I also had a set of Pilot Sport A/S's... It's pretty good for an all-season tire, but it's still a compromise, even compared to an OEM Summer tire like the RE040.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by nissan03; 07-16-2002 at 07:00 AM.
Old 07-16-2002, 07:04 AM
NJZ

I have the 17s and I'm thinking of upgrading to 18's. And right now I'm leaning toward the S03's with aftermarket Ray's wheels. Thanks to everyone for their opinions.
Old 07-16-2002, 05:33 PM
mdouvris

Default expensive

Those toyo's are $245 each..That aint cheap!
Old 07-16-2002, 05:42 PM
ITZBITZ

I'll stick with the RE040's and replace them with the same after the factory installed ones wear out. I have them on my Spyder now, and they are an excellent tire for autocross, track and street use.

I still can't find a good combination for a dedicated track tire in sizes that complement the stock differences (26" front, 26.7" rear tire height). I'm looking at ending up with a 25" front and 25.5" rear based on currently available tires (in 17" sizes), but the real decision comes when we figure out how much tire and rim can fit in the stock wheel wells.

The T1-S are excellent tires, a perfect choice for a daily driver. They rule wet and are very strong in dry.
Old 07-16-2002, 06:32 PM
Boomer

Default Tires

Originally posted by nissan03
Are you going to stay with the factory tire sizes? If so...

(Based on info from the Tire Rack)

For the 18s...

I had a set of Potenza S-03's... It's an awesome tire. I've never driven the Pilot Sport, but I've heard good things about it. However, it's a lot more expensive than the Bridgestone (although neither tire is cheap), so I'd say save your $$ and get the S-03's. Or you can save even more $$ and stick with the factory RE040's.

For the 17s...

You might want to stick with the RE040's. I also had a set of Pilot Sport A/S's... It's pretty good for an all-season tire, but it's still a compromise, even compared to an OEM Summer tire like the RE040.

Hope this helps.
I am planning to change the RE040s for Pilot Sport A/Ss which have a much greater wear rating than the 040s, 120 UTOG Vs 400 UTOG for the Pilot A/Ss.

Why did you change them out? The survey at Tire Rack ranks them almost as highly as the Pilot summer tires as far as handling , braking, and other criteria. I know the040s will wear out in 15.000 miles or less; I wanted to avoid that, but if handling is poor on the Pilot A/Ss, I may change my mind. Please let me know. Thanks

Boomer--BR/FR
Old 07-16-2002, 11:16 PM
Boomer

Default Tires

Thanks VQ, I agree the Bridgestone SO3 is probably the best summer tire, followed closely by Michelin Pilot Sports.

My problem is I will drive the Z in all kinds of weather and an Ultra High Performance All Season tire in the original factory size fits my needs. That was why I wanted more info on the Michelin Pilot Sport A/Ss.

My Z will not be a garage queen because, as much as I like Our Maxima, it is awkward for me to drive because the steering wheel is too low, it interferes with my thigh and makes me have to lean my leg over to far for comfort. If anyone else has any expeience with the Pilot A/Ss, please post it. Thanks

Boomer--BR/FR
Old 07-16-2002, 11:43 PM
nissan03

Despite what Michelin says, the Pilot Sport A/S is still a performance compromise for all-season traction. The Tire Rack currently has 2 reviews...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...port_as_rd.jsp

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/sumi_htr_plus.jsp

The Pilot Sport A/S did well in both reviews, but none of the other tires tested was a Summer tire.

Road and Track had a short article about the Michelins, and they were pretty impressed. However, I'd want to see a more in-depth test with the Pilot Sport or Potenza S-03 involved.

From my own experience, the Pilot Sport A/S was definitely a good tire, but the Potenza S-03 is better. I had these tires on 2 different cars, so I can't compare them directly. However, I don't believe that an all-season performance tire can be much better than even a low-end Summer tire.

That being said, I understand your situation. I'm also driving my Z year-round, so I'll be getting the Pilot Sport A/S's. I don't have anywhere convenient to store a 2nd set of wheels and tires, nor do I want to spend the extra money. The Z is setting me back enough.

Last edited by nissan03; 07-16-2002 at 11:46 PM.
Old 07-16-2002, 11:47 PM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Thumbs up TOYO PROXES T1-S!!!

Originally posted by Apexi350z
You should also consider Toyo T1-S

They are among the best!! Price is good too

www.toyo.com
These are the BEST tires bar-none for their price point in the category of "Max-Performance" tires. PERIOD!
Old 07-17-2002, 12:04 AM
nblancha
Charter Member #80

I too will be driving my Z year round. However, that doesnt mean I will be driving 20 miles through 5 inches of snow. Whats a good tire for year round driving, but that can handle the freezing temps and possibly an inch of snow for less then a mile (home to work) perfectly flat, and a major road (ie well traveled and kept plowed).