Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Z owners=too cool to look?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 10:44 AM
brandonanix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vo7848
Unfortunately my friend, it's true. The Z has become a pretty common car. Enthusiast such as ourselves, that take time and care, to make our Z's look the best are too far inbetween. Individuals that are not on the level of enthusiasm as we are just don't get that "awe" that we get from seeing a well taken care of vehicle, so therefore they see no point in looking.
very very very well said my friend!
Old 02-28-2007, 10:49 AM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Posted this in another thread, but this is the main reason why I don't see much of an on-road community with the 350z:

I think the problem with Z-to-Z acknowledgement is that we cover a large demograph. The spectrum of owners for this car is pretty wide.

From soccermoms to track junky weekend warriors, business executives, converted muscle car guys, kids from the import scene, you name it.

It's one of the few cars where you go to a meet or run into a Z owner and people will say,

"Oh, I use to be an American muscle type of guy, this is my first Jap."
"My last car was a modified Integra."
"I bought it because it looked good!"
or
"I usually buy Germans but decided to go to the dark side."

It really attracts alot of folks from all over, so not everyone can relate to each other.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:50 AM
zz350zz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya smokin' cool yo
Old 02-28-2007, 10:57 AM
brandonanix

another great point Zephyr!! and that absolutely explains why not everyone cares about a stand out Z, especially the damn soccer moms driving the car
Old 02-28-2007, 11:10 AM
WYZIWYG

Received 208 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Demon Z
Most days, I anonymously hate everyone and am just focused on where I am going. Once in a great while, and I'm feeling saucy, I'll look around at traffic. Only problem is, is that there's only 3, maybe 4 Z's in a 20-mile radius... no-one to wave at on said saucy day.
OMG!!! I do the exact same thing, but usually I only do it when I'm feeling sort of "meatbally".
Old 02-28-2007, 11:13 AM
I1DER

In populated areas where Zs are prevelent, I can see why people don't feel some comradery. Where not so common, people are more likely to notice a car like their own. I give the palm up and if they don't return it, at least they thought about it and maybe next time it will be catching. I think it's interesting we have similar tastes.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:31 AM
time4aspliff

Heh. The timing of this thread is interesting considering that the LA Times and some other major newspapers just ran articles supported by recent studies that seemingly indicate that the Y generation is by and large, sadly narcissistic.

Research confirms that the Y Generation is (predominantly) the "me, me, me" generation. You can blame it on several factors but the ultimate result is that we've got a demographic of people who actually believe that it's their world and the rest of us are privelleged to exist in it. Unfortunately, much of this stems from poor/irresponsible parenting. When one instills from day one that their kid is super special, unique and that they can accomplish or obtain anything that their hearts' desire, it can be a recipe for disaster as the recent university studies have proven.

Additionally, with modern day elements like You Tube, American Idol and pseudo-celebrities like Paris Hilton (How is she a celebrity?) doing and getting away with practically anything under the sun (people like her have likely never heard the word "no"), it's not completely surprising that we have multitudes of Genration Y-ers doing things like parking in handicapped spots, tagging public and private property, littering at will, vandalizing sportscars, urinating anywhere that's convenient, snubbing nearly anyone and everyone (except themselves), etc, etc.

It's their world and we're just exisiting in it. Sad but seemingly true. I weep for the future.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:34 AM
efx

I normally try to wave back when a Z or exotic waves but I usually dont notice a Z coming unless its like 50 feet away (im near sighted). I also usually let the ricers take the lead probably a car length away before I down shift and put the tip in.... no lube of course. Other than that, I usually don't like to wave at a car unless I get waved at.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:40 AM
tylerdurden07

Cause you don't live in NOVa thats why.. I don't have that problem here
Old 02-28-2007, 12:06 PM
brandonanix

Originally Posted by efx
I normally try to wave back when a Z or exotic waves but I usually dont notice a Z coming unless its like 50 feet away (im near sighted). I also usually let the ricers take the lead probably a car length away before I down shift and put the tip in.... no lube of course. Other than that, I usually don't like to wave at a car unless I get waved at.

HAHAH no lube!! that was great!!!
Old 02-28-2007, 12:16 PM
efx

Originally Posted by brandonanix
HAHAH no lube!! that was great!!!

thx
Old 02-28-2007, 12:18 PM
Demon Z

Originally Posted by philude
LOL @ saucy days. please find a more masculine way of describing your day plzz...
Haven't you seen "Wayne's World"? The scene where he finally has the money to buy the Strat? Jeez.....
Old 02-28-2007, 12:25 PM
moflow

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by time4aspliff
Heh. The timing of this thread is interesting considering that the LA Times and some other major newspapers just ran articles supported by recent studies that seemingly indicate that the Y generation is by and large, sadly narcissistic.

Research confirms that the Y Generation is (predominantly) the "me, me, me" generation. You can blame it on several factors but the ultimate result is that we've got a demographic of people who actually believe that it's their world and the rest of us are privelleged to exist in it. Unfortunately, much of this stems from poor/irresponsible parenting. When one instills from day one that their kid is super special, unique and that they can accomplish or obtain anything that their hearts' desire, it can be a recipe for disaster as the recent university studies have proven.

Additionally, with modern day elements like You Tube, American Idol and pseudo-celebrities like Paris Hilton (How is she a celebrity?) doing and getting away with practically anything under the sun (people like her have likely never heard the word "no"), it's not completely surprising that we have multitudes of Genration Y-ers doing things like parking in handicapped spots, tagging public and private property, littering at will, vandalizing sportscars, urinating anywhere that's convenient, snubbing nearly anyone and everyone (except themselves), etc, etc.

It's their world and we're just exisiting in it. Sad but seemingly true. I weep for the future.
Whatever they're just jelous because we dont have E.D.

Ok i'm bored now. Time for some more ritalin.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:36 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That's what 9 out of 10 Z32 owners say about Z33 drivers. When I'm in my Z32, I'd say 9/10 other Z32 owners wave. I think the reasoning is as you stated.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:37 PM
DROPPEDIT2WCE
Banned

+1 for gen X!!
+1,000,000 for the sad sad future of this country
Old 02-28-2007, 12:44 PM
kPaNdA350

+1 most z owners in ktown dont bother to look over, so i just go about minding my own buisness
Old 02-28-2007, 01:01 PM
saberphx

Originally Posted by Theatrix
It's not the money, it's the metality, dude. Here on the East coast, Z owners are more ethusiasts and older. I speak to many guys who owned Z's when they were in HS in the 70's. They own for the sport of it. We do acknowledge each other. But that's different than some young punk riding around with all sorts of mods on the car in order to look cool. I probably would not wave to that guy either, but would prefer to pull him out of his car and beat the **** out of him. But that's just me.

And I'm a snob for education and I loose respect for a kid who seems to have his priorities up his ****. (Unless his parents bought his car, because he is in school). That kid is oK in my book.
whoa whoa whoa, bud.
I'm a kid with my priorities up my ***, I wasn't around in the 70's and might be considered a "young punk" to you. also I have all sorts of mods on my car for it to look cool. What it all boils down to is we all love the same car, and the same passion, so there is no need to speak down on my kind. Although now im 21, when I got Z I was 19 when I got my Z and just like the guys who grew up with Z's in the 70's, I am growing up with the Z now, and am sure to love the Z for many more models and generations.
That said, I will usually be the first one to thumbs up/wave/look at other Z's and check out their mods. And can talk to anyone about performance cars in general.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:04 PM
AroundMyHorn

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

off with their heads!
Old 02-28-2007, 01:53 PM
HighwaySpeed

Cool

I'm driving at highway speed and concentrating on the course, I'm too busy to notice the little people.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:46 PM
led

I'll glance and if they are eyeballing me I'll throw a head nod at them. But, half the time I can't even see inside of their car so if you are waving at me and I am not waving back, it's cause I can't see you!

Quick Reply: Z owners=too cool to look?