Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

My impressions on the 07 Z

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 04:10 PM
gabez33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Destroy?!? Nah definatly not..., I test drove the 07 today, and it had great TQ just like the non revup, but with more top end. I have also owned a revup 4 a year and guys with non revvup and me would be neck and neck on top end. Now that I have the non rev, and raced my friends revup...same results. But the HR will DEF walk away from both as early as 100mph!~ So I think by about 120-130 I could easily see about 3 car lengths
Old 03-07-2007, 04:15 PM
Blacryan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 07 will walk away from the 03-06... at a fast pace. According to the dyno #'s and the stock 1/4mile 1 person has run on a 07 it would walk in a fast manner.

Coming from the 03 to the 07, I noticed a HUGE HUGE HUGE difference, cant say anything about the rev-up though.

Alot of you may not notice that big of a difference between the 03-06 than the 07... because most of u have some form of performance mods.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:20 PM
Nismo 350z

Originally Posted by PurelySwift
Interesting take on the new 07. Just out of curiosity which trim level did you drive?

FYI though, the door for the Nav unit was not changed in 07. That was a change in 06. I asked a dealer about it when the 06's came out, and he said there were complaints about the automatic door mechanism getting jammed and some kind of problems with it, so it was eliminated all together.
It was a Grand Touring 6 speed. Magnetic black.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:24 PM
Nismo 350z

Originally Posted by bobS
Nice write up. I'm on the fence about finding a nice used z or 07 z. I will eventually go test drive but i really like this HR engine. I could care less if its softer b/c coilovers are in my future anyway. I wish my 03 z had those cup holders so i had more places to put cell phones/ wallet etc. It really felt like it would destroy a non rev up or rev up?
Well not really destroy but it would certainly walk them especially in the top end. Well if u are going coilovers then it would be a good choice. Test drive one yourself.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:25 PM
Nismo 350z

Originally Posted by gabez33
Destroy?!? Nah definatly not..., I test drove the 07 today, and it had great TQ just like the non revup, but with more top end. I have also owned a revup 4 a year and guys with non revvup and me would be neck and neck on top end. Now that I have the non rev, and raced my friends revup...same results. But the HR will DEF walk away from both as early as 100mph!~ So I think by about 120-130 I could easily see about 3 car lengths
Ok not really destroy but definatley walk away. I mean during my test drive I hit 70 in 2nd. It is fast. With a 3.9 FD this thing would be a beast.

Last edited by Nismo 350z; 03-07-2007 at 04:35 PM.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:27 PM
Nismo 350z

Originally Posted by BrantZ
He said it. I believe him. His name is Nismo. It seems like he has the inside scoop.
Haha you are funny. But seriously do some searching before you run your mouth. The 3.7 is coming soon.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:30 PM
BrantZ

Originally Posted by Nismo 350z
Haha you are funny. But seriously do some searching before you run your mouth. The 3.7 is coming soon.
I know! I believe you. I was just quoting what you were saying. A year from now we will have the 08 Z with a 350hp 3.7 engine.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:33 PM
Nismo 350z

I know! I believe you. I was just quoting what you were saying. A year from now we will have the 08 Z with a 350hp 3.7 engine.
Oh I couldnt tell if u were being a smart @$$. My bad.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:38 PM
Nismo 350z

Originally Posted by I1DER
Nice write up. Thanks. I'm scratching my head though on the upgraded cup holders. Why would anyone have a problem with the extra door molded cup holders? No weight, nothing to break, out of the way. I think they're great and use mine all the time. Also I have an '06 w/o Nav and I have a door on the Nav cubby space. Maybe it's just cars with Navs that don't have a door there.
I say congratulations to Nissan for the upgraded engine and to the new '07 owners. Getting improvements is part of the joy of buying a new car. Why would I now be less happy with mine that I so enjoy? Envy? I'd be trading in girlfriends every week-end and never have one that was 'broke in'.
Well if u like the extra cup holders and all that then it should suit u pretty well. My 04 has a motorized Nav door that can be closed or open with a touch of a button. I like that feature which I dont think the 06 or 07s have. I say congrats to 07 owners as well but IMO I would only trade up when the 3.7 comes out. Either that or buy a GTR
Old 03-07-2007, 04:49 PM
bobS

Doubt the 3.7 will be 350 hp. The twin turbo version on the GTR is rumored to have 450 hp. I am betting the 3.7 will be 320 hp or maybe a little more.
Obviously this is all rumors but strong ones at that. The 3.7 will be out in less then a month at the NY auto show in the G coupe. We will see then. I think i will test drive a 07 this weekend.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:56 PM
BrantZ

Do you guys really think that the 08 Z could have this new motor? It would just seem kinda pointless to upgrade the motor so quickly if they just came out with the HR. They redid 80% of the engine for the HR right? Would making it .2 larger be much trouble? The DE to HR seems much more simpler than going from 3.5 to 3.7. I don't know all that much though, so I'm just thinking out loud really.

Last edited by BrantZ; 03-07-2007 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:03 PM
Blacryan

Do you guys really think that the 08 Z could have this new motor? It would just seem kinda pointless to upgrade the motor so quickly if they just came out with the HR. They redid 80% of the engine for the HR right? Would making it .2 larger be much trouble?
Ill bet 5$ over paypal that the 08 Z does not have a 3.7 engine.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:06 PM
gabez33

Originally Posted by Nismo 350z
Well if u like the extra cup holders and all that then it should suit u pretty well. My 04 has a motorized Nav door that can be closed or open with a touch of a button. I like that feature which I dont think the 06 or 07s have. I say congrats to 07 owners as well but IMO I would only trade up when the 3.7 comes out. Either that or buy a GTR
yeah...+1
Old 03-07-2007, 05:10 PM
gabez33

Do you guys really think that the 08 Z could have this new motor? It would just seem kinda pointless to upgrade the motor so quickly if they just came out with the HR. They redid 80% of the engine for the HR right? Would making it .2 larger be much trouble? The DE to HR seems much more simpler than going from 3.5 to 3.7. I don't know all that much though, so I'm just thinking out loud really.

Well I think there is a REALLY good possibility. I mean It went from nonrev...2yrs later track rev up, 1 year later, all manual revup, 1 year later HR...and the GTR is coming. Nissan is really doing big things lately and the rumors are real strong...so yeah I can def see it coming I'll wait till then to think about trading up
Old 03-07-2007, 05:49 PM
DriveI65

I have an 03 Performance and a 07 Enthusiast. I took the 03 yesterday to get the trailer hitch taken off (I autocross and tow a tire trailer) to transfer to the 07 and it was a shock. The 03 just doesn't have the oommph of the 07 in the high rpm range and the clutch was so stiff it felt like the brake. This is after driving the 07 for only a week. I plan to keep both but the 07 is easier to drive and the stock 07 suspension seems similar to the 03 with Koni shocks. It's ride is smoother.

I swear the seat is higher in the 07 and I have less headroom plus my shoulder is above the top of the door. It will take some seat time to judge the front of the car again against cones.

Cup holders? So what? Get a G35 if you want comfort.

This weekend my son and I are doing a Test & Tune to determine whether the shocks need to be swapped to Konis. I can't wait to try the 07 on an autocross course! The acceleration after 4K is what I have wanted for a long time and now we have the same redline as a RX-8 with even more HP. This could be a very good year for Nissan. []
Old 03-07-2007, 06:07 PM
Zmazing03

Hmmm. Noticeable difference between '03 and '07 eh? I've got headers and exhaust, so that might not be the case [as much].

I went to the local dealer two weeks ago to test drive an '07. Website said they had like three, I only saw a Roadster in the showroom (and I checked the entire lot). I was walking in there with the idea that if they could get me in an '07 for something close to what I am paying now, I would do it. I even ran MSRP vs Invoices etc and Edmunds car payment calculator.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:41 PM
CaliTouring

Originally Posted by dspiel
i feel like I bounce around in my 06 Z with stock tires.
i love it
Old 03-07-2007, 07:30 PM
RBlover69

Okay as far as the revup vs HR , dont dyno race please get a vid of the REVUP a reg 287 and a HR . I am willing to participate but no one answered the call in orlando. ANd lets see how they fair. My revup would def walk my 04 uptop i know for certain. How bad would it loose to a HR is my guess. Remember nones really raced it against other zs to show any comparison.
And for the speculation or saying that a 3.7 Z will come out. I do have my doubts . This is because the 380 RS z. I mean why realease a 3.7 when the 380 rs is already a built engine producing more tq and good to go. I mean its a production engine right now for the RS z why build a weaker 3.7 thats retarted. I think people over emphasized the destroying part of the revup being obsolete. THe revup isnt a completly diff motor its only 30% different. All the mods clearly were designed for uptop performance. Im telling you if you ran a revup vs a 287 the 287 willl get walked uptop on a top speed run . For some crazy reason nissan decided to design it as such. Its literallt a 287 version 2.5 lol before the HR. You can see that they where looking into addint to the reg VQ35 with the revup kinda testing it to see what else they could add to it before compeltly changing major parts. As they did with the 80% changed HR but there all still based off the same block and properties. SO lets not get carried away. I think the next Z beyond the 3.5 HR will be the 3.8 RS. I mean it only makes sense. Any one see the 3.8 TT in the skyline. I mean clearly its in the cards somewhere. THe 3.7 though a real engine doesnt make sense for this market. And a 380z sounds better then a 370 lmao. Just to nit pick. THe 3.8 is amazing but so is the reg VQ. People the engine is still a infant and has been on wards 10 best engines. I mean its only with more product and more tuning will we see these engines shine NA. And its happening slowly.I believe the key players NA are going to be moderdyne, cosworth, UTEC, and the slew of bolt on exhuasts systems out there that are gonna eventually get us there well see. Gotta have faith. I recently seen the JWT cams for the revup i wonder how that does after proper bolt ons and a tune . Patience i say and understanding. Highly tuned factory engines are a pain in the ***. Welcome to 2007 . These arent lt1s ya know . lol
Old 03-07-2007, 08:01 PM
Deftones

Originally Posted by gothchick
Yeah - door cup holders = tard.
No joke. All the cupholders are bs if you ask me. I hate shifting and having crap in the way. The door cupholders are about the dumbest thing ever. My dad decided to try one out and ended up cleaning my door for 10 minutes from all the diet coke that ended up on it.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:22 PM
jdifolco

Well while racing all three cars sounds like a great idea but unless done on a track it is so unreliable unless everyone has the same reaction time to whoever is honking, then you have a camera guys extra weight and people complain and make excuses so on and so on. My times prove the Hr is faster stock vs stock. Now stock 07 vs modded rev up I am sure it would be interesting.

Quick Reply: My impressions on the 07 Z