Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

My impressions on the 07 Z

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 10:14 AM
ZLadie2000
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ Yeah he's just trying to sell a car!!!
Old 03-12-2007, 01:10 PM
RBlover69

I hear ya, but the De is not dead as the RB26 isnt people are still using the platform and the DE is still a infant in its life cycle in a Z. So you need to abe patient. THe 06 revup is a great motor but, none of these motors produce staggering results in there NA form without tuning. There potential is FI. Or in tuning. Set your goal and achieve it with effort. I mean realize that cars change with or without our concent. Im sure people with teh C5 Z06 where complaining when a reg C6 is aspowerful. Its really just where do you want to be with yourself power wise. Im aiming for a 300rhwp REVUP. I had the 287 it was fun and im loving the revup now. Yea i couldve gotten a HR but, i want to mod now and maybey FI later. And at that point it really doesnt matter which platform you choose . The HR is untested FI wise . The reg 287 and revups built have tremndous power at these stages as is. So i mean i still dont get the ramble. THe HR isnt a ls7 and its power isnt a huge difference . Certainly not to the point where people are making a big splash about it. So relax. The engine is nice its def a step in the right direction but you have to unlock the potential in your current setup. The suspension setups are the same on the 06+. I say just mod your car and enjoy it for what it is. A Z is a Z the HR is a impressive motor but its not the 380RS until the 3.8 or nimble 3.7 comes out. I say there isnt really a reason to trade or be mad right now.

Originally Posted by hiz-n-herz
Yeah, I'm over the PMS! I have no problem with technology moving forward. I think BMW's upgrade schedule - about every 6 years is perfect.. I like it.

I just don't like Nissan changing things every couple years. Too hard to keep up. If I traded my 06 on for an 07, I'd be flushing about $12k down the toilet. It's tough to swallow a $12k loss in a 35k car after 8 months. Damn! But every time I look at the DE, I get pissed. Just a poor design. Driven by marketing tricks... "let's squeeze out a few more HP at the sacrafice of mid-range torque". And I drool over the HR. Just so much better of a design... Dual intakes are great - dual knock sensors, revised coolant passages through the head, plastic intake rather than the heat-soak-prone aluminum plenum the DE has, The dipstick, the coolant cap on an aluminum housing off of the front - genious. I hate coolant caps on teh radiator supported by rubber mouns - tough to take off. The HR is a proper engine for this car. The DE is just outdated.

When I bought my 06, I asked the dealer what was on the horizon for the 350z. He said "nothing at all for the next couple of years at least". At the time, there was no word on this board about the HR. I can handle a better engine coming out in 2-3 years after I buy. It's to be expected. But a better engine coming out in 6 months and they would not tell me? For $250 more than I paid for mine just pisses me off. Again, I totally would have waited had Nissan been open and honest with me. I am not sure that I would like a revised Z. The existing shape is awesome.

I'll just have to wait to see how good the HR is and how much it costs to FI that beast. TT's are cool, but I am in Cali and I really don't want to deal with failed inspections, ets. I'd prefer to get a SC (vortech?) or something CARB legal. (Maybe willing to swap a pulley and engine management maps when it's time to Smog it!).

I really like the Z and told myself it'd be perfect if the performance numbers were closer to an e46M3. If I had just waited 3 months to buy it, I would have heard rumors of the HR and NO question... I would have waited to buy.

I never expect any resale value out of any cars these days. Just did not know the HR would be available 6 months after I bought my 06 and if I wanted to trade in, I'd take a $12k hit. After 6 months on a 35k car! OUCH!

But again, the z's interior is perfect. Everything's in the right place. Ergonomics are great. I like the two-seater form factor.

My point is that with a decent engine, the Z is the perfect car for me. Just wish I had known about the HR when I was buying.

Wife and I bought two 06's for the price of a single M3. I should just go buy the HR already, eh?
Old 03-12-2007, 07:43 PM
antennahead

Originally Posted by RBlover69
I hear ya, but the De is not dead as the RB26 isnt people are still using the platform and the DE is still a infant in its life cycle in a Z. So you need to abe patient. THe 06 revup is a great motor but, none of these motors produce staggering results in there NA form without tuning. There potential is FI. Or in tuning. Set your goal and achieve it with effort. I mean realize that cars change with or without our concent. Im sure people with teh C5 Z06 where complaining when a reg C6 is aspowerful. Its really just where do you want to be with yourself power wise. Im aiming for a 300rhwp REVUP. I had the 287 it was fun and im loving the revup now. Yea i couldve gotten a HR but, i want to mod now and maybey FI later. And at that point it really doesnt matter which platform you choose . The HR is untested FI wise . The reg 287 and revups built have tremndous power at these stages as is. So i mean i still dont get the ramble. THe HR isnt a ls7 and its power isnt a huge difference . Certainly not to the point where people are making a big splash about it. So relax. The engine is nice its def a step in the right direction but you have to unlock the potential in your current setup. The suspension setups are the same on the 06+. I say just mod your car and enjoy it for what it is. A Z is a Z the HR is a impressive motor but its not the 380RS until the 3.8 or nimble 3.7 comes out. I say there isnt really a reason to trade or be mad right now.
Enlighten me please, what did they do different to the '06.5?

John
Old 03-12-2007, 08:41 PM
hiz-n-herz

I know there's more power to be had with the revup. I have the MREV2 and 5/16ths spacer and it did make a difference in output, but only in the midrange. I think my biggest complaint with the revup engine is not so much the power output, but the roughness of the engine combined with the sounds it makes when you run to redline. I don't have to have the fastest car out there, I want one that's more rewarding to drive. I normally shift the car at no more than 5k RPM just because of the noise/vibration/harshness.

Now that I have jacked the OP's thread, I have to speak a bit about the 07. A friend let me test out his 07 6MT with some mileage on it and he let me and my wife just take it out and he said to have fun with it and don't be afraid to get on it. (kewl!)

All I can say is that the HR makes a world of difference in driving satisfaction. It easily and willingly reved up to 7500 rpm. It was actually an addicting experience. Incredible sounds, nice and smooth, willing, willing, willing... this is in contrast with the revup, which I'd rather not... well, rev-up to redline unless I have to. The HR's power just doesn't seem to let up... Much more satisfying to drive.

It seemed to have much more torque than my revup even with MREV2 and spacer (6mt). Punching the gas at 3000+ RPMS in second seems to lift the nose up drastically and twist the chassis a bit. Keeping it over 6k RPMs, it's just an entirely different experience than the rev-up. Throttle response (and torque) is just immediate anywhere in the RPMs over 2000. with the rev-up, I have to wait to get the car into it's power band to get that feeling (around 4500 RPMs). I just had to lol and say "holy ****" when I punched it in second gear. It was addicting and I did not want to give it back. I just don't feel like that with the revup.

I am not one to upgrade at every chance:

- my last car was a 97 M3 and it now has 220k miles on it. Never really cared about the e46 M3 when it came out. I was content with the e36 and the e46 was $$.
- I just upgraded my 12-year-old 27-inch color-tv cause the color went out
- I like to buy expensive things, but I keep them for a long time and take good car of them, but I just don't care for the revup.

It's hard to explain... I am considering ordering an 07 since there are no 07 DB GT's to be had anywhere in the US. I'm not mad as much as frustrated. If I'd have picked up the 07 to begin with, I would have been happy with it all along.

Granted a new body style will likely arrive in 08 or 09, but I _REALLY_ like the 06-07 body style. Can't imagine what they'd do to improve on it other then lighten it and I don't think that's likely. I have not liked any artist's renditions of any future z.

HR FTW!
Old 03-13-2007, 07:21 AM
gothchick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel your pain... Sort of... But the Revup and non-revup engines are proven. The HR is getting there, but not proven yet. We gotta wait to see how many (if any) recalls Nissan will issue for the HR. We still need to see if the HR is reliable, has any disposition to breakage, will hold up to hard use, etc... I'm content for now with my Revup. I'm sure the HR will be a good engine, but the grass is not *always* greener on the other side...

And with all things being equal, the HR is not *that* much more powerful in stock form than the Rev's and non-rev's to be stressing over. I try to take my emotion out of it, as well as 'perception'. Hard numbers (using the same rating system) for HP at the FW/ Crank say, Rev=300HP vs. HR=318HP = 5.7% increase in HP... The difference is even less at the rear wheel (where it counts). Not that big of a difference to be a big deal IMHO. Just my 2.5 cents...

Edit: If you want to walk an HR, then it's time to add a few mods to your Rev that are readily available, like Plenum Spacer, CAI, Headers, HFC's, CB Exhaust, Pulleys, Tweaking the ECU, etc... Well, actually if you do all those mods, you would destroy an HR... But anyway, I haven't had the pleasure of racing an HR yet, but many here say it's still a driver's race stock for stock... The DE is far from obsolete.

Last edited by gothchick; 03-13-2007 at 08:05 AM.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:06 AM
RBlover69

Originally Posted by antennahead
Enlighten me please, what did they do different to the '06.5?

John
side curtain airbags noob
Old 03-13-2007, 09:10 AM
RBlover69

I know there's more power to be had with the revup. I have the MREV2 and 5/16ths spacer and it did make a difference in output, but only in the midrange. I think my biggest complaint with the revup engine is not so much the power output, but the roughness of the engine combined with the sounds it makes when you run to redline. I don't have to have the fastest car out there, I want one that's more rewarding to drive. I normally shift the car at no more than 5k RPM just because of the noise/vibration/harshness.

Now that I have jacked the OP's thread, I have to speak a bit about the 07. A friend let me test out his 07 6MT with some mileage on it and he let me and my wife just take it out and he said to have fun with it and don't be afraid to get on it. (kewl!)

All I can say is that the HR makes a world of difference in driving satisfaction. It easily and willingly reved up to 7500 rpm. It was actually an addicting experience. Incredible sounds, nice and smooth, willing, willing, willing... this is in contrast with the revup, which I'd rather not... well, rev-up to redline unless I have to. The HR's power just doesn't seem to let up... Much more satisfying to drive.

It seemed to have much more torque than my revup even with MREV2 and spacer (6mt). Punching the gas at 3000+ RPMS in second seems to lift the nose up drastically and twist the chassis a bit. Keeping it over 6k RPMs, it's just an entirely different experience than the rev-up. Throttle response (and torque) is just immediate anywhere in the RPMs over 2000. with the rev-up, I have to wait to get the car into it's power band to get that feeling (around 4500 RPMs). I just had to lol and say "holy ****" when I punched it in second gear. It was addicting and I did not want to give it back. I just don't feel like that with the revup.

I am not one to upgrade at every chance:

- my last car was a 97 M3 and it now has 220k miles on it. Never really cared about the e46 M3 when it came out. I was content with the e36 and the e46 was $$.
- I just upgraded my 12-year-old 27-inch color-tv cause the color went out
- I like to buy expensive things, but I keep them for a long time and take good car of them, but I just don't care for the revup.

It's hard to explain... I am considering ordering an 07 since there are no 07 DB GT's to be had anywhere in the US. I'm not mad as much as frustrated. If I'd have picked up the 07 to begin with, I would have been happy with it all along.

Granted a new body style will likely arrive in 08 or 09, but I _REALLY_ like the 06-07 body style. Can't imagine what they'd do to improve on it other then lighten it and I don't think that's likely. I have not liked any artist's renditions of any future z.

HR FTW!
I say race a DE and a revup and see if the difference is that much marginal for urself. If my friends gets the HR (still making up her mind) then we nwill have a video that we all been dying for a 287 vs a revup vs a HR to the rev limter or as much as we can push it. Stay tuned . All stock of course.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:04 PM
hiz-n-herz

I am actually considering an HR over my revup. When I was driving my friend's 07, I was able to race a yellow 35th anniversary with exhaust. It was from a from a stop light on the expressway. He was definitely trying... he was a little abnoxious about it before the light turned green. I guess he thought he'd lay down a but-whooping on an 07. Let's just say that I pulled more than a car-length on him in 1st gear (up to 38 MPH!) He gave up half-way through second when I had 2-3 cars on him and he stayed well behind me after that.

He was alone. I had my wife with me.

But now with the confirmation of the 3.7l in the 08 G37. I may just wait for a 3.7l in the Z. I wonder if we'll get it in the z33? I don't know If I'll like a redesigned Z. I like the Z33 interior and exterior - I would not change much other than weight reduction

I say race a DE and a revup and see if the difference is that much marginal for urself. If my friends gets the HR (still making up her mind) then we nwill have a video that we all been dying for a 287 vs a revup vs a HR to the rev limter or as much as we can push it. Stay tuned . All stock of course.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:00 PM
gothchick

:-)

Last edited by gothchick; 03-13-2007 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:01 PM
gothchick

I am actually considering an HR over my revup. When I was driving my friend's 07, I was able to race a yellow 35th anniversary with exhaust. It was from a from a stop light on the expressway. He was definitely trying... he was a little abnoxious about it before the light turned green. I guess he thought he'd lay down a but-whooping on an 07. Let's just say that I pulled more than a car-length on him in 1st gear (up to 38 MPH!) He gave up half-way through second when I had 2-3 cars on him and he stayed well behind me after that.

He was alone. I had my wife with me.
The 35th Anniversary obviously missed a shift or two... Or didn't get a good launch. You wouldn't have been so lucky if we came up on each other. :-)
Old 03-13-2007, 01:16 PM
Blacryan

Originally Posted by gothchick
The 35th Anniversary obviously missed a shift or two... Or didn't get a good launch. You wouldn't have been so lucky if we came up on each other. :-)
Or maby you havent raced a 07 yet? Or driven 1? Because from dyno's mrev and intake isnt going to get u to HR #'s :/
Old 03-13-2007, 01:24 PM
RBlover69

well HRs are dynoing in the 260s on dynojets so there not that far off from catching up with proper mods. Oh and the other guy, i would expect a HR to pull a revup down low due to more tq down low. I would like to see this with a good driver and all teh way beyond 100+ I would say 1/4 or stop light racing isnt really what they had in mind with this kind of engine but a ***** out run all the way to the end would really show what the engines capable of doing. I love to watch 1/4 races but, to me nothing is like road racing. I seen drag queen supras get owned by mr2s and miatas at pocono raceway lmao. I just hope it all works out . A vid to show the differences would be great to everyone.

Last edited by RBlover69; 03-13-2007 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:26 PM
Sunset350ZR

I really need to go drive the 07 but regardless I am not trading in my 06. I am like others here and will wait to pay this buggy off and then purchase whatever comes out for 09. Or maybe just wait for the 40th anniversary edition lol. We're half way there now
Old 03-13-2007, 01:26 PM
Blacryan

http://www.motordyneengineering.com/...MT_HR_dyno.gif

Yes I know that was read high, but its been stated many times a Revup w/ Mrev + spacer isnt going to put u over HR if I remember correctly.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:30 PM
RBlover69

Yea but it certinly puts you closer, i need to race a HR . In florida as per my sales men. No body really jumped on them. It seems that lack of advertising and noone really acknolewdging the HP jump isnt really sparking any intrest . I hope somebody by ones in OZOC over here or orlando or florida gets one damn. I would love to vid a nice event lmao.

Last edited by RBlover69; 03-13-2007 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:09 PM
DRIFT ZZ

Default Hr Killer !!

Next time I go out with my PSL crew I will def. do a vid of me spanking my 4 DE Brethren really REALLY bad up to 160 mph...Yes 160mph in 5th gear....No need for 6th !! (lol)...You guys need to face the music, like I did (sold my nismo'ed 03 copper Z after seeing the HR in the showroom), and start thinking of how to put your *** in the seat of an 07 HR...my .02 cents !!
Hughie...inPSL, FL
Old 03-13-2007, 07:19 PM
antennahead

side curtain airbags noob
I have side curtain airbags in my '06, which is not '06.5.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:32 PM
RBlover69

I have side curtain airbags in my '06 , which is not '06.5.
well on my manual which i have 2 it says side curtin air bags(srs) 06.5 350z This was the only reason for the 6.5 . Read your 06 manual it says it Look on the one that says read carefully and on the front it should say 2006.5 (for vehicles equipped with nissan advanced airbag system). This is the .5 sir. I acutally was about to purchase a another black early 06 which reminded me of my 04 350z which did not have the SRS system. Do i care not really, is there a difference yes. I ended up getting the red enthus because i did not want to have to clean the dreaded black anymore. ANd it was newer so what the hell. lmao ill be doing the same thing if they ever release the 3.8 or 3.7 Z . lmao

Last edited by RBlover69; 03-13-2007 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:52 PM
antennahead

well on my manual which i have 2 it says side curtin air bags 06.5 350z This was the only reason for the 6.5 . Read your 06 manual it says it Look on the one that says read carefully and on the front it should say 2006.5 (for vehicles equipped with nissan advanced airbag system). This is the .5 sir.
Nope, my manual says 2006, as does all other material. I have the original window sticker, 2006 as well. The SRS (suplemental restraint system, side and curtain air bags) was a $620 option. The manufacter date is June of '06. I read somewhere else that July started the '06.5s. If side airbags is the only differentiator, maybe they offered it in June but didn't change the designation. I promise you I am not stupid, everything states 2006, (no .5), and the build date is 06/06. As for being a noob, I started driving sports cars in 1976. I have owned 4 Porsches, a 1990 300ZX (first in town when they came out), and a 1992 RX-7 twin turbo, among others, so I don't consider myself a noob :-)
Old 03-13-2007, 07:57 PM
RBlover69

Nope, my manual says 2006, as does all other material. I have the original window sticker, 2006 as well. The SRS (suplemental restraint system, side and curtain air bags) was a $620 option. The manufacter date is June of '06. I read somewhere else that July started the '06.5s. If side airbags is the only differentiator, maybe they offered it in June but didn't change the designation. I promise you I am not stupid, everything states 2006, (no .5), and the build date is 06/06. As for being a noob, I started driving sports cars in 1976. I have owned 4 Porsches, a 1990 300ZX (first in town when they came out), and a 1992 RX-7 twin turbo, among others, so I don't consider myself a noob :-)
if u would like i can give u a image of my manual that says 2006.5 gimme your email . Im not saying your stupid you just may think im bsing lmao. Gimme your email ill send it to ya. Newb doesnt mean your a retart , just means i post more then you and im a idoit but since i been hear longer im broken in . Since u very little posts thats the newb remark. Sorry but i didnt make this up. I have to check my born date on my Z . But im starign at the manual right now and my invoice 2006.5 350z (srs naabs) And no disrepect i do take it back if pun was given

your right maybey they didnt change the designation. But mine does state 2006.5 ( but to tell you the truth im more concerned that where hijacking a thread)

Last edited by RBlover69; 03-13-2007 at 08:01 PM.

Quick Reply: My impressions on the 07 Z