Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

My impressions on the 07 Z

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 08:01 PM
antennahead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RBlover69
if u would like i can give u a image of my manual that says 2006.5 gimme your email . Im not saying your stupid you just may thing im bsing lmao. Gimme your email ill send it to ya. Newb doesnt mean your a retart , just means i post more then you and im a idoit but since i been hear longer im broken in . Since u very little posts thats the newb remark. Sorry but i didnt make this up. I have to check my born date on my Z . But im starign at the manual right now and my invoice 2006.5 350z (srs naabs)
smiles, I believe you, you don't have to mail it to me. All I can rationalize is if the air bags is the .5 designation then they started it the month prior possibly. I read in another post something to the effect of the suspension being slightly diiferent on the .5s, lower in the back like previous model years and the 2007, just a re-quote on my part, not sure if that's accurate.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:15 PM
RBlover69

basically its a bunch of horse sht. I hate the way my 06 rear is redicuously higher then the 04s previous. Nissan softened the suspensions for the 06+ and dampened the car for less sound obtrusion. And yea its nice i dont have tire feathering and dont hear the road as much. But damn, do i feell like im in a minivan sometimes. I mean park your car next to a previous Z. Its like the 06+ 07s all same suspension all looked like there on jack stands. Im not sure if these are merly the spring rates or the shock aswell becaue people have tried spings ala hotchkis and they needed to be revamped do to the diff settings in the 06s. And not maintaing the advertised drop. But thats been resolved now. But some food for thought. My friend has s-techs on her car and parking my Z next to hers is embarrasing due to mine looking like some off road version.lmao i wonder if it helped or hindered performance to tell u the truth. Im getting s-techs to resolve this issue .

Last edited by RBlover69; 03-13-2007 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:16 PM
hiz-n-herz

Oh... no you di-int. Bring it gothchick! lol jk... Hey, I noticed you have 275s on the rear of your gt (per your sig). Any changed in VDC behavior? My VDC seems a bit touchy on my 06 GT with stock sizes (245/265)...

And I already have the MREV2 and spacer on my rev-up. So that is what I am comparing it to.

The other driver did get a bit of wheel slip in 1st (not too bad, but I could hear it with my window down). Prolly the main issue right there.

Originally Posted by gothchick
The 35th Anniversary obviously missed a shift or two... Or didn't get a good launch. You wouldn't have been so lucky if we came up on each other. :-)

Last edited by hiz-n-herz; 03-13-2007 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:23 PM
evolved326

Originally Posted by RBlover69
basically its a bunch of horse sht. I hate the way my 06 rear is redicuously higher then the 04s previous. Nissan softened the suspensions for the 06+ and dampened the car for less sound obtrusion. And yea its nice i dont have tire feathering and dont hear the road as much. But damn, do i feell like im in a minivan sometimes. I mean park your car next to a previous Z. Its like the 06+ 07s all same suspension all looked like there on jack stands. Im not sure if these are merly the spring rates or the shock aswell becaue people have tried spings ala hotchkis and they needed to be revamped do to the diff settings in the 06s. And not maintaing the advertised drop. But thats been resolved now. But some food for thought. My friend has s-techs on her car and parking my Z next to hers is embarrasing due to mine looking like some off road version.lmao i wonder if it helped or hindered performance to tell u the truth. Im getting s-techs to resolve this issue .
When I went into thave my springs installed, Hotchkis says the rear of the 07 is back to like the 03-05.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:38 PM
RBlover69

maybey they fixed it for the 07s because my 06 is like wholey nissan titan. Okay im exaggerating . But its def higher. And softer. Much more nimble then my 04 350z. WHich is like riding on abc 7 wheels on rollerblades. Now wait i checked the 07s they looked just as high. But i seen a 04 and there perfect. I dunno im getting stechs anyways.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:50 PM
hiz-n-herz

Yep.. Look at that 06 rear gap...

I may try trimming the upper spring pad like others have done. I hate to go lower because I almost scrape on stuff now around here at stock height.

What to do?

It looks extra-bad in this pic:

And in this one:
Old 03-13-2007, 09:26 PM
surukis14

the 07 is sweeeeeet.

and whoever mentioned cleaning the doors because of the cup holders, why didn't you use the other cupholders?.. there was just 2 of you in the car right? i think they are awesome for storing extra drinks.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:43 PM
Blacryan

Originally Posted by surukis14
the 07 is sweeeeeet.

and whoever mentioned cleaning the doors because of the cup holders, why didn't you use the other cupholders?.. there was just 2 of you in the car right? i think they are awesome for storing extra drinks.
They werent thinking :/

I use the door cupholders for everything but that... I put everything but drinks in there lol.

On a side note, the 07 DEFINATELY is not back to 03-05 ride height. Mine feels like a damn truck too that is lifted. I need to get it dropped soon =[ But carputer comes first.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:24 AM
ncdoc

It may just be the picture, but my 2007 GT wheel gap is much less noticeable than that posted by his-n-herz. I would agree with the statement made by Hotchkis. I owned a 2003 Touring and the wheel gap between it and my 2007 seems to be about the same.

Of course it may just be my car...

ncdoc
Old 03-14-2007, 05:11 AM
foochdawg

This ride height issue is due to the spring rates, correct? So if I put my Eibachs on my '07 it should be the same as my '05 right?
Old 03-14-2007, 07:44 AM
gothchick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hiz-n-herz
Oh... no you di-int. Bring it gothchick! lol jk... Hey, I noticed you have 275s on the rear of your gt (per your sig). Any changed in VDC behavior? My VDC seems a bit touchy on my 06 GT with stock sizes (245/265)...

And I already have the MREV2 and spacer on my rev-up. So that is what I am comparing it to.

The other driver did get a bit of wheel slip in 1st (not too bad, but I could hear it with my window down). Prolly the main issue right there.
Heheheee! It's all good! I always turn my VDC off out of habit. I don't like the way it prevents me from finding the edge of the traction envelope in a turn or even a straight line. I expect the car to behave a certain way when I hit it hard, then the VDC "tries to correct" and messes up my line! To the point where I've almost been in several accidents because of this, so now I just turn it off. The Z is wonderfully predictable right to the edge without VDC. :-)

The profile on 275's is slightly lower than 265's, so it does affect the speedo, rpm's, VDC, slightly. I checked around for a remedy to this like modding the ECU parameter for the new tire profile. No dice. I'm told I need to swap out the rear diff gearing to make it like stock again. I had a friend pace me on the freeway, he was doing 75mph, mine read closer to 80mph. It's only off by a little so I think I'll just live with it considereing the time, labor and $$$ to swap out the gearing. :-)
Old 03-14-2007, 10:10 PM
hiz-n-herz

Heheheee! It's all good! I always turn my VDC off out of habit. I don't like the way it prevents me from finding the edge of the traction envelope in a turn or even a straight line. I expect the car to behave a certain way when I hit it hard, then the VDC "tries to correct" and messes up my line! To the point where I've almost been in several accidents because of this, so now I just turn it off. The Z is wonderfully predictable right to the edge without VDC. :-)
HAH! No ****... Thank you! I posted this exact thing a while ago and folks thought I was nuts.the freakin VDC on the GT is WAY too touchy. I usually turn it off if I have to pull out quickly into a busy street from a parking lot or intersection. The _slightest_ bit of wheel slip (even 1/8th of a wheel turn)will activate VDC and kill all your power. Now you are pulling out with the power of a yugo and you did not give yourself enough space. Grrrr! VDC FTL!

You must have went with a 275/30 instead of the 275/35(?) I will try the 275/35 when these wear out.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:04 PM
geomark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by firekrave
IMO the 06's got rid of the 03-05 bounce. Had a touring 03 and it was a very anxious car. I just purchased an 06 a mth ago and rode in an 07 both before breakin and the ride quality felt identical. The light clutch feeling goes away once the car gets some more mileage on it. My 06 felt the same way until i drove it for a while.
What exactly is it that you are referring to as the 03-05 bounce? I have an 05 and I am actually noticing this and want to see if it's the same thing you are describing. Mine has it at low speeds.

Also, what exactly is it that they fixed on the 06+ as far as suspension?

Thanks.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:11 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah - door cup holders = tard.
Where the hell am I supposed to keep my beer now?
Old 03-15-2007, 09:44 AM
gothchick

^^^I keep my beer between my legs for all it's ice cold goodness! Kidding~ Lol!

Last edited by gothchick; 03-15-2007 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:48 AM
gothchick

Yep.. Look at that 06 rear gap...

I may try trimming the upper spring pad like others have done. I hate to go lower because I almost scrape on stuff now around here at stock height.

What to do?

It looks extra-bad in this pic:

And in this one:
Yeah I totally agree. I think some coilovers are next on my list of mods. I'd like to drop my car about 3/4" to 1". The only caveat to that is dropping it will take the alignment too far out of stock specs to be able to compensate. So then you also need a front camber kit and rear camber/toe kit too. Expensive hobbie we got here.

Last edited by gothchick; 03-15-2007 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:13 AM
geomark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by geomark
What exactly is it that you are referring to as the 03-05 bounce? I have an 05 and I am actually noticing this and want to see if it's the same thing you are describing. Mine has it at low speeds.

Also, what exactly is it that they fixed on the 06+ as far as suspension?

Thanks.
Anyone have an idea? Is it the shocks and springs that they changed on the 06+ to create a softer ride?
Old 03-15-2007, 11:14 PM
shift3.5

I've got my flame suit on already. But I drove both a base 07 (with 57 miles) and an 07 touring 5AT today and there was NOT a day and night difference between the 06 enthu 6spd I drove a few weeks ago. The 06 had 4000 miles and was broken in but I was not like "ooooh daaaamn I can really feel the difference here"). Don't get me wrong I was not let down in any way. I just thought with all the hype there woulda been more of a difference. But hey like they say its only 6 HP. I know I know I'm kidding but even 13HP is not a huuuuuge difference. Still a damn nice car for 30 grand! And the hood sets it apart from the thousands of 03-06's out there.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:33 PM
hiz-n-herz

Originally Posted by shift3.5
...even 13HP is not a huuuuuge difference. Still a damn nice car for 30 grand! And the hood sets it apart from the thousands of 03-06's out there.
Yeah, I know that 13 HP doesn't sound like much, but you gotta look at the entire power and torque curves. Area under the curve is what wins. Peak #'s don't tell the whole story.

It's not a night and day difference, but I have put 7000 miles on my 06 and there was a clear difference to me being so used to the 06 and then driving the 07 around for an hour.

I am still not a fan of the hood, but the improvements in the HR outweigh the hood.

I am not sure if it is worth it to me to trade an 06 in for an 07 when there are more changes around the corner for 08 or 09. It's really tempting though.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:21 AM
gothchick

Yeah, I know that 13 HP doesn't sound like much, but you gotta look at the entire power and torque curves. Area under the curve is what wins. Peak #'s don't tell the whole story.

It's not a night and day difference, but I have put 7000 miles on my 06 and there was a clear difference to me being so used to the 06 and then driving the 07 around for an hour.

I am still not a fan of the hood, but the improvements in the HR outweigh the hood.

I am not sure if it is worth it to me to trade an 06 in for an 07 when there are more changes around the corner for 08 or 09. It's really tempting though.
My sentiments exactly! I really want to mod my Z further (CAI, high flow cats, CB exhaust, pulleys, coil overs.....) but with the 370Z due out in '09 (which is only 18 months away) so I'm kinda on the fence whether to start saving my pennies now for an '09, or mod the '06.... tough call.

Quick Reply: My impressions on the 07 Z