Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

My impressions on the 07 Z

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 11:44 AM
Nismo 350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My impressions on the 07 Z

Well guys after reading a bunch of threads here on the forums I decided to go test drive the 07 Z. Went down to the stealership and after a quick chat with the sales rep, I was walking in the lot eyeing what they got. Saw the SM blue in person and it is beautiful. Only thing that troubles me is that it will be hard to take care of like black. Also saw the new Solar orange and it is fugly. Nowhere near as good as Lemans. Anyways I will tell you about the pros and cons in a few categories. Now evryone is saying they love how the new hood looks in person and to me up close it looked like crap. It was hideous with the little bulge there. I popped the hood open and see if there was room to use a pre-07 hood and I dont think its possible. Moving on to the interior. Pretty much the same as the 06 except I didnt like how the Nav screen doesnt have a door anymore like my 04 does. Also the door cupholders really dont belong on a car like this...

Driving Impressions
Once I started her up it sounded different than the VQDE. The exhaust note was a lillte tamer but still the distince Z sound. Also looking at the tach go all the way up to 9K is with a redline of 7500 is freaking awesome. Once I put the car in 1st, the clutch was wayyy too soft. Softer than my 04. It felt like Nissan put in a Tiburon clutch or something. It did make gear changing easier though. Now the drive. I was just cruising on the city streets and you can feel the nice bottom end tq. From about 2000rpm and on the car is making a nice tq curve. I took it to about 5k rpm and noticed I had 2500 worth of rev time left. That really boggles the mind if u are used to driving a non revup. By 6k you are getting ready to shift and this thing is just starting to flex its muscles. Now from 6k and up there is a distinctive intake roar that we dont get with the VQDE. It sounds awesome and I could only imagine what dual pop chargers would sound like. Exhaust wise sounds the same but u can hear it after 7k which is nice. Suspension felt much softer than before. On the fwy the car didnt have the bounce associated with 03-05Z's and it soaked up every bump like gravy. Its too soft IMO. You dont get that sports car harsh ride like before which I am used too. Some of u may like this but I feel it became too luxurious. It has the engine but not much else. I think if the 03's 1st came out with this motor it would have made the Z a truly awesome sports car. But stock for stock the VQHR will destroy both a stock non rev up and a rev up. Do I feel its worth to trade up to? No. Why u ask? Because this motor will also be out for a year until the new Z comes with the 3.7. So for those of you wanting to trade your non-revup I suggest u wait. I feel bad for the 06 buyers because the Rev-up is now obselete. But mod for mod the HR has the hihest potential for bolt ons. FI wise might not be a good idea since they increased the CR to 10.6.1 as opposed to our 10.3.1. So yeah that was my impression. Sorry for the long post. Hope u guys sit and read through it lol.

Anyways questions, comments, concerns?
Old 03-07-2007, 11:48 AM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

i feel like I bounce around in my 06 Z with stock tires.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:49 AM
philude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

car's are like electronics...something new and better always coming along and you'll drive yourself into debt trying to keep up.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:53 AM
Nismo 350z

Originally Posted by dspiel
i feel like I bounce around in my 06 Z with stock tires.
Didnt test drive a 06 but I can tell u the 07 has no bounce at all. Smooth as silk.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:04 PM
gothchick

I hope the HR proves to be reliable. I never buy the first model year of anything. That way - Gives them time to work the bugs out & recalls.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:12 PM
FastZ33

when u say too bad for the rev up owners, i dotn agree with u there, because 90% of non rev up parts FIT on the rev up motors so i have no problems, ya u r right abnout the waiting part, as good as the HR motor is they r still coming out with a newer one next yr, IMO they should of just kept the rev up for 07 model
Old 03-07-2007, 12:16 PM
BrantZ

Originally Posted by Nismo 350z
Because this motor will also be out for a year until the new Z comes with the 3.7
Yeah, a year from now the HR's will be a thing of the past. We will have a 3.7 350hp new Z. People will talk about the HR and be like...."what, that old thing? Who needs that Flintstones engine when I have this new 08 engine." I can't wait for the new 08 Z.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:21 PM
firekrave

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

IMO the 06's got rid of the 03-05 bounce. Had a touring 03 and it was a very anxious car. I just purchased an 06 a mth ago and rode in an 07 both before breakin and the ride quality felt identical. The light clutch feeling goes away once the car gets some more mileage on it. My 06 felt the same way until i drove it for a while.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:35 PM
PurelySwift

Interesting take on the new 07. Just out of curiosity which trim level did you drive?

FYI though, the door for the Nav unit was not changed in 07. That was a change in 06. I asked a dealer about it when the 06's came out, and he said there were complaints about the automatic door mechanism getting jammed and some kind of problems with it, so it was eliminated all together.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:36 PM
RBlover69

yea the 06 and the 07 have exactly the same suspension which is softer and higher then the pre models also the bigger stock brakes 06+ also has speed sensetive steering . I got the 06 becasue i have all the little refinements besides the HR which isnt gonna matter if im gonna boost later down the line when i get off this NA bing.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:59 PM
bdrose

stock vs stock....hr will destroy the revup??? define destroy..i still say drivers race
Old 03-07-2007, 01:10 PM
Blacryan

Originally Posted by bdrose
stock vs stock....hr will destroy the revup??? define destroy..i still say drivers race
No.

The cupholders i thought were retarded... but I use them all the tiem for misc items like my phone -etc- =)

New engine in 08? Dream on, 09 at the earliest.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:13 PM
trackpilot

Originally Posted by BrantZ
Yeah, a year from now the HR's will be a thing of the past. We will have a 3.7 350hp new Z. People will talk about the HR and be like...."what, that old thing? Who needs that Flintstones engine when I have this new 08 engine." I can't wait for the new 08 Z.

I dunno bout '08 though. I'm thinking the 3.7 will come out in '09 since the gtr is coming out in '08. It'd only make since for the Z to be a year behind the gtr.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:13 PM
gothchick

Yeah - door cup holders = tard.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:15 PM
WARAT

Originally Posted by BrantZ

is this real? not trying to be sarcastic.. can you post a link regarding upcoming 08 z with a 3.7? thanks
Old 03-07-2007, 01:17 PM
Blacryan

Originally Posted by mix
is this real? not trying to be sarcastic.. can you post a link regarding upcoming 08 z with a 3.7? thanks
No he cant, because there wont be a 3.7 in the 08, 09 will be the earliest.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:18 PM
WARAT

Originally Posted by Blacryan
No he cant, because there wont be a 3.7 in the 08, 09 will be the earliest.

i guess i won't be waiting for the 09 then.. waited too long..
Old 03-07-2007, 01:56 PM
BrantZ

Originally Posted by Nismo 350z
Because this motor will also be out for a year until the new Z comes with the 3.7.
He said it. I believe him. His name is Nismo. It seems like he has the inside scoop.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:02 PM
I1DER

Nice write up. Thanks. I'm scratching my head though on the upgraded cup holders. Why would anyone have a problem with the extra door molded cup holders? No weight, nothing to break, out of the way. I think they're great and use mine all the time. Also I have an '06 w/o Nav and I have a door on the Nav cubby space. Maybe it's just cars with Navs that don't have a door there.
I say congratulations to Nissan for the upgraded engine and to the new '07 owners. Getting improvements is part of the joy of buying a new car. Why would I now be less happy with mine that I so enjoy? Envy? I'd be trading in girlfriends every week-end and never have one that was 'broke in'.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:47 PM
bobS

Nice write up. I'm on the fence about finding a nice used z or 07 z. I will eventually go test drive but i really like this HR engine. I could care less if its softer b/c coilovers are in my future anyway. I wish my 03 z had those cup holders so i had more places to put cell phones/ wallet etc. It really felt like it would destroy a non rev up or rev up?

Quick Reply: My impressions on the 07 Z