Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

My impressions on the 07 Z

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 09:46 PM
WARAT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BrantZ
I know! I believe you. I was just quoting what you were saying. A year from now we will have the 08 Z with a 350hp 3.7 engine.

i really thought you were being sarcastic.. i guess there really is a possibility having a 3.7.. this is making it harder for me to get an 07 just knowing there is an upcoming 3.7.. damn it..
Old 03-07-2007, 10:13 PM
BrantZ

So do you think if they release a VQ37DE in 08 we should wait for 09 when they come out with the VQ37HR? Or should I wait for 2010 for the VQ39? I can't decide what to do now.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:30 PM
Blacryan

Originally Posted by Deftones
No joke. All the cupholders are bs if you ask me. I hate shifting and having crap in the way. The door cupholders are about the dumbest thing ever. My dad decided to try one out and ended up cleaning my door for 10 minutes from all the diet coke that ended up on it.

The cup holders in the door are retarded, I am not sure if they were ment for actual soda/drinks.

I find them VERY VERY useful, extra spot for keys, CELL PHONE, wallet, or whatever else is in my pocket. I love them, I wouldnt think of putting a open drink in them though.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:44 PM
hiz-n-herz

I'm about to write off Nissan altogether. I don't like their BS-keep-everything-under-wraps game. I don't have the time or patience for it, nor am I stupid enough to trade in my car every year to keep up. F-it.

Yeah, I am pissed because I bought an 06 revup in July of 06 only to find out a couple months later that they were revamping the entire engine for 07. The engine is the main thing about the car that I am unhappy with. It friggin pings like a *****, vibration and harshness are way up there. (compared to my 10-year-old, 200k mile M3) just can't get past the pinging from a peformance car. And the f-ing oil dipstick on the DE... WTF? I would have expected that type of design in early-80'sGM cars (along with the pinging).

Had Nissan let people know what they were working on for the 07 ahead of time, I surely would have waited. Although the new hood looke like a$$, but having the HR > bulge on hood. I did not need a new car. The M3 runs just fine.

I have the means to trade in now for an 07, but then I'd be super-pissed if a 3.7 liter came out in 08 (which I doubt), but 09 seems likely. They need to quit changing engines so much! Damn!

Buying cars should not be like buying a electronics (like a call phone), where you are obsolete in a year. I guess that's what hapens when you release a car that is mediocre in performance. I say mediocre because the e36 M3 was equal in performance to the current 350z back in 1995. So Nissan is about 8 years behind in performance. In 1995 BMW was way ahead of the pack in terms of performance. M3 performance stayed the same through 2000. That's 6 years of the same performance. Then in 2001 BMW upped the ante. We should see the e92 M3 in 2008 (7 years of e46 performance). And we've known about the e92 performance numbers for a few years now.

That gives us BMW ///M owners plenty of time to pay off our cars before they are obsolete by the next upgrade. Then we sell for cash and have a nice down-payment for the next model.

Also, Ive said it before, but BMW does not hide what they are doing next. Especially in their ///M cars. They tell you as soon as they start working on something. Performance goals, pricing goals, etc. I bought my e36 M3 in 1999knowing full-well what the performance of the e46 in 2001 would be and knowing the price point for the e46 so I was able to make an educated decision on what to buy and I never had a regret.

I feel like Nissan screwed me...

I may go back to M3's f-this. I am itching for a 400hp V8 in a 3500-lb car. Should be sweet.

I know... M cars are a helluva lot more $$. And for the $$, the Z is a great car. I just don't like the way Nissan is changing things every year or two these days. I can't keep up with it. by the time I trade in 3 Z-cars in 6 years and lose all that depreciation $$, I could have had an M3...

/RANT
Old 03-08-2007, 06:13 AM
BrantZ

Originally Posted by hiz-n-herz
I'm about to write off Nissan altogether. I don't like their BS-keep-everything-under-wraps game. I don't have the time or patience for it, nor am I stupid enough to trade in my car every year to keep up. F-it.

Yeah, I am pissed because I bought an 06 revup in July of 06 only to find out a couple months later that they were revamping the entire engine for 07. The engine is the main thing about the car that I am unhappy with. It friggin pings like a *****, vibration and harshness are way up there. (compared to my 10-year-old, 200k mile M3) just can't get past the pinging from a peformance car. And the f-ing oil dipstick on the DE... WTF? I would have expected that type of design in early-80'sGM cars (along with the pinging).

Had Nissan let people know what they were working on for the 07 ahead of time, I surely would have waited. Although the new hood looke like a$$, but having the HR > bulge on hood. I did not need a new car. The M3 runs just fine.

I have the means to trade in now for an 07, but then I'd be super-pissed if a 3.7 liter came out in 08 (which I doubt), but 09 seems likely. They need to quit changing engines so much! Damn!

Buying cars should not be like buying a electronics (like a call phone), where you are obsolete in a year. I guess that's what hapens when you release a car that is mediocre in performance. I say mediocre because the e36 M3 was equal in performance to the current 350z back in 1995. So Nissan is about 8 years behind in performance. In 1995 BMW was way ahead of the pack in terms of performance. M3 performance stayed the same through 2000. That's 6 years of the same performance. Then in 2001 BMW upped the ante. We should see the e92 M3 in 2008 (7 years of e46 performance). And we've known about the e92 performance numbers for a few years now.

That gives us BMW ///M owners plenty of time to pay off our cars before they are obsolete by the next upgrade. Then we sell for cash and have a nice down-payment for the next model.

Also, Ive said it before, but BMW does not hide what they are doing next. Especially in their ///M cars. They tell you as soon as they start working on something. Performance goals, pricing goals, etc. I bought my e36 M3 in 1999knowing full-well what the performance of the e46 in 2001 would be and knowing the price point for the e46 so I was able to make an educated decision on what to buy and I never had a regret.

I feel like Nissan screwed me...

I may go back to M3's f-this. I am itching for a 400hp V8 in a 3500-lb car. Should be sweet.

I know... M cars are a helluva lot more $$. And for the $$, the Z is a great car. I just don't like the way Nissan is changing things every year or two these days. I can't keep up with it. by the time I trade in 3 Z-cars in 6 years and lose all that depreciation $$, I could have had an M3...

/RANT
Old 03-08-2007, 07:31 AM
RBlover69

^^ man up man, the new m3 is going to make the current one look like ****, ITS CALLED TECHNOLOGY MOVING FOWARD. if you think like that you will never by a car. THe revup is stilla vq35de its just a hybrid of some technologies of the HR. Basically all geared to up top top speed performance. THe HR is the complete package. ANd if you buy cars for depreciation values and look to make any profit your in the wrong business , stick to classics you cant be serious. A car is a money pit. Have fun its a hobbie. You sound like my girl friend thats why before my *** she was driving a 98 altimas always complaining about resale values. i was like btch get in this g35 im gonna get a Z and enjoy the fcking car. Who cares well buy others enjoy it now. LOL its not a investment Wther bmw infinit nissan none will hold what you payed for it. Buy orginal classic and restore it . OR build cars . Its the only way you can really make a profit. Otherwise. CMon .....lets get over the pms.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:13 AM
Nismo 350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RBlover69
Okay as far as the revup vs HR , dont dyno race please get a vid of the REVUP a reg 287 and a HR . I am willing to participate but no one answered the call in orlando. ANd lets see how they fair. My revup would def walk my 04 uptop i know for certain. How bad would it loose to a HR is my guess. Remember nones really raced it against other zs to show any comparison.
And for the speculation or saying that a 3.7 Z will come out. I do have my doubts . This is because the 380 RS z. I mean why realease a 3.7 when the 380 rs is already a built engine producing more tq and good to go. I mean its a production engine right now for the RS z why build a weaker 3.7 thats retarted. I think people over emphasized the destroying part of the revup being obsolete. THe revup isnt a completly diff motor its only 30% different. All the mods clearly were designed for uptop performance. Im telling you if you ran a revup vs a 287 the 287 willl get walked uptop on a top speed run . For some crazy reason nissan decided to design it as such. Its literallt a 287 version 2.5 lol before the HR. You can see that they where looking into addint to the reg VQ35 with the revup kinda testing it to see what else they could add to it before compeltly changing major parts. As they did with the 80% changed HR but there all still based off the same block and properties. SO lets not get carried away. I think the next Z beyond the 3.5 HR will be the 3.8 RS. I mean it only makes sense. Any one see the 3.8 TT in the skyline. I mean clearly its in the cards somewhere. THe 3.7 though a real engine doesnt make sense for this market. And a 380z sounds better then a 370 lmao. Just to nit pick. THe 3.8 is amazing but so is the reg VQ. People the engine is still a infant and has been on wards 10 best engines. I mean its only with more product and more tuning will we see these engines shine NA. And its happening slowly.I believe the key players NA are going to be moderdyne, cosworth, UTEC, and the slew of bolt on exhuasts systems out there that are gonna eventually get us there well see. Gotta have faith. I recently seen the JWT cams for the revup i wonder how that does after proper bolt ons and a tune . Patience i say and understanding. Highly tuned factory engines are a pain in the ***. Welcome to 2007 . These arent lt1s ya know . lol

But u gotta keep in mind that the Nismo 380RS is only going to be made a race car. That is their race motor which wont go into production. All I know is whether the GTR gets a TT 3.7 or a TT 3.8... the NA variant of that motor will go into the new z and g coupe. I do agree with your NA comment. In Japan NA tuning has the most steam going for it on the z33.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:13 AM
Nismo 350z

So do you think if they release a VQ37DE in 08 we should wait for 09 when they come out with the VQ37HR? Or should I wait for 2010 for the VQ39? I can't decide what to do now.
Just enjoy your HR.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:16 AM
Nismo 350z

Do you guys really think that the 08 Z could have this new motor? It would just seem kinda pointless to upgrade the motor so quickly if they just came out with the HR. They redid 80% of the engine for the HR right? Would making it .2 larger be much trouble? The DE to HR seems much more simpler than going from 3.5 to 3.7. I don't know all that much though, so I'm just thinking out loud really.
If u think about it they only had the Rev-up available for 2 yrs. Now its gone unless u but a used 05 track/35th or 06 6spd. The VQ35DE stayed in production all the way until 06.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:25 AM
gothchick

I can't wait to see some reliable perfomance results (0-60, 1/4, top speed, lap times, etc) between the 287, RevUP, and HR. But in all seriousness, they're all fast. Plus, I think it was VW that said, "Power without control is nothing." Once you get to a certain performance level, they're all fast. Fast enough to get you killed if you don't respect it. I think we're being too myopic on the HR engine (which isn't even proven yet). We should also be concerned with how well the car brakes & handles, gas mileage, reliability, cost of maintenance, cost of insurance, resale, blah, blah, blah... Just my 2.5 cents.

Last edited by gothchick; 03-08-2007 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:36 AM
SargentZ

The Dipstick is new an approved on the new engine. Nice and easy to access and read.
Attached Thumbnails My impressions on the 07 Z-dipstick.jpg  
Old 03-08-2007, 11:17 AM
jdifolco

Originally Posted by gothchick
I can't wait to see some reliable perfomance results (0-60, 1/4, top speed, lap times, etc) between the 287, RevUP, and HR. But in all seriousness, they're all fast. Plus, I think it was VW that said, "Power without control is nothing." Once you get to a certain performance level, they're all fast. Fast enough to get you killed if you don't respect it. I think we're being too myopic on the HR engine (which isn't even proven yet). We should also be concerned with how well the car brakes & handles, gas mileage, reliability, cost of maintenance, cost of insurance, resale, blah, blah, blah... Just my 2.5 cents.
a 13.5 -14 second car isnt fast enough to loose control. The car brakes the same, handles the same, gas is supposted to be differnt but I dont notice anything, insurance went up 50 bucks, resale... a car isnt an investment so thats kinda out IMO. Its the same Z with a more power thats it.

Last edited by jdifolco; 03-08-2007 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:39 AM
dtm255

Originally Posted by gothchick
Yeah - door cup holders = tard.
I found it useful for bottled drinks since the middle cup holder gets in the way when shifting.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:57 AM
Blacryan

Originally Posted by dtm255
I found it useful for bottled drinks since the middle cup holder gets in the way when shifting.

QFT and cell phones and other misc items !
Old 03-08-2007, 02:18 PM
WARAT

Originally Posted by Nismo 350z
Just enjoy your HR.

amen.. had a dream of a MB enthusiast in my driveway last night..
Old 03-08-2007, 02:24 PM
hardrock905

Originally Posted by firekrave
IMO the 06's got rid of the 03-05 bounce. Had a touring 03 and it was a very anxious car.
The 03 bounce is more like a thud IMO. That's basically my only complaint with the handling of my 03.
I am definitely going to test drive an 07 soon.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:07 PM
shift3.5

I know Nissan was late to realase the HR but.... if they follow typical tradition the 09 will be out at the end of 08 probably October. Thats about 18-19 months away. So those of you who think they will have to wait until 09 for the new 320??? HP 380z or 370z whatever they are going to call it do not have to wait as long as you think. Besides as it has been said they will have to work out alot of bugs for this ground up engine. The HR is 80% new. I think by the time the 09's are out they will have all the bugs worked out on the HR it will be proven (or God forbid unproven) there should also be a large growing aftermarket. The HR vs a NonRuvup, Revup, 380z this think will be fast enough to get you in serious trouble.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:47 PM
Bevo

Originally Posted by SargentZ
The Dipstick is new an approved on the new engine. Nice and easy to access and read.

Thumbs up
Old 03-09-2007, 10:03 PM
hiz-n-herz

Originally Posted by RBlover69
^^ man up man, the new m3 is going to make the current one look like ****, ITS CALLED TECHNOLOGY MOVING FOWARD. if you think like that you will never by a car. THe revup is stilla vq35de its just a hybrid of some technologies of the HR. Basically all geared to up top top speed performance. THe HR is the complete package. ANd if you buy cars for depreciation values and look to make any profit your in the wrong business , stick to classics you cant be serious. A car is a money pit. Have fun its a hobbie. You sound like my girl friend thats why before my *** she was driving a 98 altimas always complaining about resale values. i was like btch get in this g35 im gonna get a Z and enjoy the fcking car. Who cares well buy others enjoy it now. LOL its not a investment Wther bmw infinit nissan none will hold what you payed for it. Buy orginal classic and restore it . OR build cars . Its the only way you can really make a profit. Otherwise. CMon .....lets get over the pms.
Yeah, I'm over the PMS! I have no problem with technology moving forward. I think BMW's upgrade schedule - about every 6 years is perfect.. I like it.

I just don't like Nissan changing things every couple years. Too hard to keep up. If I traded my 06 on for an 07, I'd be flushing about $12k down the toilet. It's tough to swallow a $12k loss in a 35k car after 8 months. Damn! But every time I look at the DE, I get pissed. Just a poor design. Driven by marketing tricks... "let's squeeze out a few more HP at the sacrafice of mid-range torque". And I drool over the HR. Just so much better of a design... Dual intakes are great - dual knock sensors, revised coolant passages through the head, plastic intake rather than the heat-soak-prone aluminum plenum the DE has, The dipstick, the coolant cap on an aluminum housing off of the front - genious. I hate coolant caps on teh radiator supported by rubber mouns - tough to take off. The HR is a proper engine for this car. The DE is just outdated.

When I bought my 06, I asked the dealer what was on the horizon for the 350z. He said "nothing at all for the next couple of years at least". At the time, there was no word on this board about the HR. I can handle a better engine coming out in 2-3 years after I buy. It's to be expected. But a better engine coming out in 6 months and they would not tell me? For $250 more than I paid for mine just pisses me off. Again, I totally would have waited had Nissan been open and honest with me. I am not sure that I would like a revised Z. The existing shape is awesome.

I'll just have to wait to see how good the HR is and how much it costs to FI that beast. TT's are cool, but I am in Cali and I really don't want to deal with failed inspections, ets. I'd prefer to get a SC (vortech?) or something CARB legal. (Maybe willing to swap a pulley and engine management maps when it's time to Smog it!).

I really like the Z and told myself it'd be perfect if the performance numbers were closer to an e46M3. If I had just waited 3 months to buy it, I would have heard rumors of the HR and NO question... I would have waited to buy.

I never expect any resale value out of any cars these days. Just did not know the HR would be available 6 months after I bought my 06 and if I wanted to trade in, I'd take a $12k hit. After 6 months on a 35k car! OUCH!

But again, the z's interior is perfect. Everything's in the right place. Ergonomics are great. I like the two-seater form factor.

My point is that with a decent engine, the Z is the perfect car for me. Just wish I had known about the HR when I was buying.

Wife and I bought two 06's for the price of a single M3. I should just go buy the HR already, eh?
Old 03-10-2007, 09:02 AM
pirate_desquite

Default Delete

Delete

Last edited by pirate_desquite; 04-24-2019 at 03:45 AM. Reason: Delete

Quick Reply: My impressions on the 07 Z