2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas gauge inaccuracy

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 03:07 PM
vics350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I took my car again to nissan stealership and once again the idiots couldn't come to a fix and they will have to consult with Nissan master mechanics at corporate headquarters its easy you FCK's fuel sending unit. Dam I'm done with the Dumm stealership in cerritos, CA
Old 06-01-2010, 10:49 AM
vics350z

Finally after 2 months of fighting with the sealership I'm going to get my car fixed... both sending units will be replaced....like I told them
Old 06-01-2010, 04:41 PM
foshau23

Old 06-01-2010, 10:54 PM
BlackSpec02

Originally Posted by dirtbikr
knock on wood but mine works relatively well. When the miles left shows "---" I can never get more than 17 gallons in there, I don't believe the manual that the car has a 21 gallon tank lol :P
I used to be skeptical too, now I just drive by miles on the trip meter. Usually fill up before it hits 350 miles. Last week I pushed it quite a bit past that and when I filled up... 19.3 gallons!!! Damn. Never cut it that close before. Usually its like 15-17.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:55 PM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought my 05 brand new special order. never had any trouble until Jan 2010 probably around 115,000 miles. I have both problems. It clicks off early. I know there is a fix for that. It was worse in the winter and yes it is very sensitive to different pumps. One time I clicked off at 3/4! The station I usually go to I have about a 90% success rate getting it to click off 1 needle width past F.
I also have developed the not knowing when it's empty symptom. Today driving around town in 20 minutes it changed it's mind between empty with the warning light on and DTE flashing all the way back up to 1/8 tank at least 6 to 8 times before I got around to stopping at a station close to home. Didn't try and drive hard this time to see if sloshing the fuel around changed anything. It changed with calm driving. Before I have convinced myself that some hard cornering settled it back out but I don't really buy that now.

I see that in the service manual it is more of a float type sensor on the pump side and some rectangular shaped sensor on the other. Could that one be ultrasonic or what?

The service manual does not state that the float is for 1/2 to full and the other E to 1/2 but maybe I missed that. If this is true I'm not sure I understand the full shape of the tank. How do the two sides share fuel and as you near E is there only supposed to be fuel mainly on the one side? What connects the sides (if at all)? One post said venturi effect pulls to the 1/2 to E side - through a hose or what? Want to understand the way the tank empties.

Last edited by bjr; 06-02-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:43 AM
JMT

Originally Posted by vics350z
Finally after 2 months of fighting with the sealership I'm going to get my car fixed... both sending units will be replaced....like I told them
After 3 different trips to the service department, they finally replaced my sending units about 6 months ago. Fuel gauge has been fine ever since.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:15 AM
vics350z

Originally Posted by bjr
I bought my 05 brand new special order. never had any trouble until Jan 2010 probably around 115,000 miles. I have both problems. It clicks off early. I know there is a fix for that. It was worse in the winter and yes it is very sensitive to different pumps. One time I clicked off at 3/4! The station I usually go to I have about a 90% success rate getting it to click off 1 needle width past F.
I also have developed the not knowing when it's empty symptom. Today driving around town in 20 minutes it changed it's mind between empty with the warning light on and DTE flashing all the way back up to 1/8 tank at least 6 to 8 times before I got around to stopping at a station close to home. Didn't try and drive hard this time to see if sloshing the fuel around changed anything. It changed with calm driving. Before I have convinced myself that some hard cornering settled it back out but I don't really buy that now.

I see that in the service manual it is more of a float type sensor on the pump side and some rectangular shaped sensor on the other. Could that one be ultrasonic or what?

The service manual does not state that the float is for 1/2 to full and the other E to 1/2 but maybe I missed that. If this is true I'm not sure I understand the full shape of the tank. How do the two sides share fuel and as you near E is there only supposed to be fuel mainly on the one side? What connects the sides (if at all)? One post said venturi effect pulls to the 1/2 to E side - through a hose or what? Want to understand the way the tank empties.
bjr:

This is the problem that I have been having for a while why don't you call Nissan care and inform them of what is happening so you can help others when it happens to them. After a long fight with my local dealership they are going to be replacing my 2 fuel sending sensors and I'm 100% sure that will fix the problem. When you do take it in to dealership make sure you take your car at around 1/4 of a tank or less thats when it happens the most. anything above the 1/2 tank it will remain fine but when it drops below thats when the problem starts happening. Good luck and if you have any other questions send me message and I can help you.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:43 PM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The other day the light came on in my '03 and gauge was down to E but funny thing - my DTE display lit up and showed 193 miles to empty. I turned the car off and back on and the gauge went back to half full. Weird, but I'm not concerned, just amused.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:47 PM
vics350z

PerfZ you should be worried about this problem its not going to go away its a problem that is just going to get worst. If i where you I would look into getting both fuel sending units replaced ASAP before it drives you nuts like it did me. Call Nissan care and report this also make a claim www.nhtsa.gov/. And do it soon so maybe if enough people call you can get it for free
Old 06-07-2010, 03:46 PM
glenns280

i have had my 06 pathfinder in today for the forth time to fix the recall for the fuel sending unit. 4 times an the still cant get it right, then on the third time they break my fuel door and want to charge me 75$ to fix it....i will see tomarrow if they can fix it..they must have tards workin back their..
Old 06-08-2010, 09:07 PM
southbayz33

i just filled up...... topped off accidentally... aaaaand just noticed im at half tank and i only drove 90 miles! i kno the gas mileage isnt that bad!
Old 06-09-2010, 06:01 AM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

PerfZ you should be worried about this problem its not going to go away its a problem that is just going to get worst. If i where you I would look into getting both fuel sending units replaced ASAP before it drives you nuts like it did me. Call Nissan care and report this also make a claim www.nhtsa.gov/. And do it soon so maybe if enough people call you can get it for free
I'm pretty laid back - would take much more than that to drive me nuts. Although some would say I am already there. But yeah, it has been happening more and more frequently so will have to bite the bullet eventually. Thanks for the link!
Old 06-09-2010, 01:47 PM
vics350z

This might be useful these are the part numbers for both sending units:
25060-CD00A sender unit---103.38
25060-AL51A sender unit---100.87
17342-01A00 Ring-O fuel pump x2---18.36
Labor is 121.31 @ Cerritos Nissan

When you are about to replace these make sure you have as little gas as possible...
Old 06-26-2010, 07:32 PM
Simple-Z

so today i pulled the feul pump assembly off from the tank behine the passerger seat and cleaned the sending unit.

works perfect!
Old 07-05-2010, 10:12 PM
rishi211

Default instructions?

Originally Posted by Simple-Z
so today i pulled the feul pump assembly off from the tank behine the passerger seat and cleaned the sending unit.

works perfect!
Do you have any manual or instructions on how to do this? Maybe to both of them? Does anyone know if they are easy to replace and if so, again, some installation instructions?

thanks in advance
-Rishi

Last edited by rishi211; 07-05-2010 at 10:13 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-08-2010, 11:39 AM
vics350z

Originally Posted by rishi211
Do you have any manual or instructions on how to do this? Maybe to both of them? Does anyone know if they are easy to replace and if so, again, some installation instructions?

thanks in advance
-Rishi
You can find the manual on website Nico.com or something like that. It's pretty easy if you look above I put the part numbers so you can go easy to the dealership and buys these part. the only thing the manual will not tell you is that when you replace these part make sure you have as little gas as possible. If you would like to to send you more instructions send me a private message. I was dealing with this problem for over 2 years so I have a lot on in site on this issue that 350z's have.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:06 PM
maximariceboi

You can find the manual on website Nico.com or something like that. It's pretty easy if you look above I put the part numbers so you can go easy to the dealership and buys these part. the only thing the manual will not tell you is that when you replace these part make sure you have as little gas as possible. If you would like to to send you more instructions send me a private message. I was dealing with this problem for over 2 years so I have a lot on in site on this issue that 350z's have.
revisting this thread again......

im sick and tired of this fuel issue...only filling up 12-13 gallons max when empty....is this still a recall? or im sh*t out of luck....i saw this thread about 2yrs ago...
Old 01-01-2011, 05:16 PM
porschett

Try this link and file a complaint

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/portable/index.cfm
Old 01-01-2011, 06:31 PM
BoomerZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by maximariceboi

im sick and tired of this fuel issue...only filling up 12-13 gallons max when empty....is this still a recall? or im sh*t out of luck....i saw this thread about 2yrs ago...
i didn't know you had this problem man. how long have you been dealin with this fuel issue?
Old 01-03-2011, 09:54 AM
vics350z

Originally Posted by maximariceboi

Bro Its still a recall on the issue you are having take it in to any real nissan steal-ship and get them to fix the issus

Quick Reply: Gas gauge inaccuracy