2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas gauge inaccuracy

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 08:18 PM
zerafian

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Not sure if this has been covered but this goes to you guys that says the tank doesn't say full when the pump clicks off. Thats not a gauge problem, its actually the pump and tubing to the fuel tank. The pump prematurely turns off because of gas flow into the tank. Its a known issue with the 350z since they started producing them.

It happens to me almost every time I fill up. I start filling up when Im on E, it stops around 13 or 14 gallons. I continue to try and pump more and the handle essentially thinks my tank is full. Sometimes it doesn't stop happening and some times it allows me to finish pumping gas to fill at 17 gallons, give or take.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:24 PM
johnwigs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why dont people study up on a system or just take it to someone who knows WTF they are doing... if your tank goes down real quick then seems to get more gas when you drive hard it is because your fuel pressure regulator is bad... the discharged fuel out of the regulator uses a venturi and sucks fuel from the other saddle tank and keeps the tanks level. there is two fuel senders... one reads 1/2 to full the other reads from empty to 1/2... Im not going to tell you which one cause if you have to ask then you havent seen them... it is obvious when you see them... good luck asking the "internet" to diagnois your car... and the recall applies to the nissan truck chassis only... so altima. sentra. versa. murano. rogue. cube. GTR. quest are also not getting a free sending unit too
Old 03-23-2010, 10:03 PM
phreaktor
¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I have had this problem for the last 8 months. Guage reads ---- and I fill up with 3/4 of a tank.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:05 AM
GHOST1207

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just learned to live with mine, from the half mark up, it reads fine. Under the half mark, that's when it starts getting funky. Sometimes it'll read 1/4 left to the light coming on in less then 5 minutes, then back to the 1/4 mark in about 15 min. Also, I noticed that sometimes the read out tells me I have 80 miles left, once I park the car and come back to start it up again, I either get 30 miles left or the lights on and ---. Usually I keep track on how many gallons I pump and calculate my mpgs, so that way I know when I'm actually nearing empty.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:30 AM
GHOST1207

Originally Posted by johnwigs
why dont people study up on a system or just take it to someone who knows WTF they are doing... if your tank goes down real quick then seems to get more gas when you drive hard it is because your fuel pressure regulator is bad... the discharged fuel out of the regulator uses a venturi and sucks fuel from the other saddle tank and keeps the tanks level. there is two fuel senders... one reads 1/2 to full the other reads from empty to 1/2... Im not going to tell you which one cause if you have to ask then you havent seen them... it is obvious when you see them... good luck asking the "internet" to diagnois your car... and the recall applies to the nissan truck chassis only... so altima. sentra. versa. murano. rogue. cube. GTR. quest are also not getting a free sending unit too
Ashole much? Since we should ask who "study up on a system or just take it to someone who knows WTF they are doing," you seem to know about our fuel system more than everyone here, so why don't you give us some insight why our fuel readings are abnormal.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:47 AM
JDM555

I have this issue too, I got an 07. I filled it up the first time and got full tank, but after 25 miles, it dropped to 3/4 full. I was amazed. It slowly went down to half, but as soon as it hit half, it fell down another chunk. Before I filled it up, the light was on, but when I started it in the morning to go fill up, the light turned off and the gauge went up a little, so I'm confused.

It only filled up for 13 gallons too. The bumper/bumper warranty is over @ 3 year/36k miles, only the power-train 60 month/60k is left, if I took it in to the dealer, they wouldn't cover that huh? Any idea how much it would cost to fix it?
Old 03-24-2010, 07:21 PM
johnwigs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im not saying that I know "everything" it is just funny that everyone on this thread is like a breast cancer meeting... hi my name is john and my fuel guage dosent work, I want to know how to fix it for free, I can't pick up a book or research wiring diagrams, I just want it fixed and I don't want to pay for it... please!!! if it is such a big deal then fix it or get it fixed... I didn't become a master tech to shoot myself in the foot. no one can diagnois something without putting hands on it... anyone can throw darts into the dark, or just start replacing parts. eventualy it will get fixed that way... time and money. something I dont have enough of
Old 03-25-2010, 07:19 AM
Patsfan83

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Noob question but I am confused about the 5 gal reserve.

It says the tank is 20Gallons (close to 21) but when I fill up it only hits 14 or 15, is the other 5 gallons the reserve? Does that mean on E it will run for 5 more gallons or should it be filling up to 20? Thanks
Old 03-27-2010, 02:57 PM
vagmag

I have a 04 model...

Even with the tank full the cauge is on empty position and the light is on .

Sometimes shows 1/2 but ussually shows empty.

I go day by day to fuel station and add about 10-15 liters to full , to be sure...

Any idea how to fix it.

My problem began when I repaced the OEM fuel pump. I came back to OEM, I visited two different Nissan services but the problem remains. They fixed for two days...
Old 04-03-2010, 02:02 AM
GHOST1207

Call me crazy, but after putting some fuel injector cleaner with a full tank, the gauge is working a lot better and more accurate. Or maybe it's just me.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:03 AM
Manjot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol mine does this as well. I'll fill it up and the next day the gauge falls to half even after moderate driving.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:44 PM
SkullxKing

I guess im not the only one? mine never reaches Full? just stays at 3/4s for a while.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:30 PM
dirtbikr

knock on wood but mine works relatively well. When the miles left shows "---" I can never get more than 17 gallons in there, I don't believe the manual that the car has a 21 gallon tank lol :P
Old 04-06-2010, 06:15 PM
whipitgood

mine does this to i thought it was weird but i usually only get 12 in mine but i like barely put the pump in and it reaches or gets close to full and averages around 300-330 miles to empty
Old 04-09-2010, 04:05 AM
BlowinGreen

Default had almost same issue

My Z used to only read up to 3/4 tank...no higher. one day i ran it til the gas light came on. it mustve reset something. when i filled it up full the gauge showed full and its worked ever since. maybe try that. good luck!
Old 04-30-2010, 09:55 AM
vics350z

Wow I cant believe you guys have the same problem that I have been having ever since I got the car. Which was about a year ago Its a 2004 350z and its driving me nuts the FN dealer ship could not get it to do that when they had it and found it to be not a big problem they told me to bring it back when it goes out completely by then the warranty will expire. I filled a complainant to Nissan Care and they are investigating this issue with the cars and will let me know in a week what they came up with. I'm going to look into fuel sensor system I know they are two of them in the tank one on each side. Thanks for the info
Old 04-30-2010, 11:08 AM
vics350z

Everyone and any one who is on this web site and is having this problem on the west coast call Nissan Care @ 1-866-799-1690 and report this problem so they can create a recall for this to get fixed at no cost to us the customer.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:54 AM
vics350z

Sorry you guys this is the right number 800-647-7261
Old 05-10-2010, 12:45 AM
cababah

I had this problem too on my 05 Z...tank would only fill to about 7/8. I took it to the dealer about 3 times only to have them diagnose and report one of the fuel sending units was sending incorrect values...had it replaced under warranty and problem was solved, the gauge now even goes above the "F" line on fill-ups

(The dealer had to do the 2 TSB's on the fuel tank before proceeding to check the sending units and during all of this work some of the screws got stripped and eventually I also had to get a brand new gas tank installed)

All work was done under my extended warranty.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:49 PM
vics350z

That's exactly what I have been telling the tech's at the dealership all this time and the idiots could not get it do it in front of them. But mine is worst because it starts acting funny when it gets below the half like right now I wish i could put video on here so you can see how it looks.

Quick Reply: Gas gauge inaccuracy