Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350Z Crashes and Results

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 08:28 AM
OCZTrack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350Z Crashes and Results

I don't see many differences between these two accidents except for the reactions from the members of this board. Apparently if you are well known around the boards you should not be criticized and your reputation should not be tarnished by fellow members in the event you make a tragic decision. On the other hand if you only post a couple times and get into an accident you may be bashed, criticized, and the most people will complain about is that their insurance will go up now. Feel free to discuss.

April accident in Texas.

Recent accident in Lakeland.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:31 AM
Richy350Z

It seems as if Kevin was liked by many members on this forums and where he lived.

We all do accept though that he made a mistake on 1. Street Racing and 2. Not Wearing His SeatBelt.

Just a heads up to many members that people should becareful on the road, and to keep the racing on the track.

R.I.P Kevin

Last edited by Richy350Z; 06-19-2007 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:34 AM
fairladyz47597

that sucks...bad deal

Last edited by fairladyz47597; 06-19-2007 at 07:39 PM.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:34 AM
Z-T

True.
Interesting point.
I was not aware of the fact that he was street racing when he died.
The OP has a point.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:41 AM
danisr1
Sleeps in 350Z

did the texas driver live?
Old 06-19-2007, 08:42 AM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think many people knew lakeland was street racing.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:48 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Every life is valuable. Every death is tragic. I see little point in criticizing anyone who is deceased.

The next time someone pulls next to me at a light, and revs the engine, I will remember both incidents.
The next time that I start the car, I will remember both incidents, and click my seatbelt.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:52 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

OP-I see your point, but we shouldnt talk bad about any dead person let alone a known Z owner-like many did in the other thread. We have all street raced in our lives, even if only for a 20mph spurt. And we've all made bad decisions, unfortunately some of us wont get the chance to learn anything from them. Regardless if he was racing or hit by a drunk driver its tragic
Old 06-19-2007, 08:54 AM
Z-T

Originally Posted by davidv
Every life is valuable. Every death is tragic. I see little point in criticizing anyone who is deceased.

The next time someone pulls next to me at a light, and revs the engine, I will remember both incidents.
The next time that I start the car, I will remember both incidents, and click my seatbelt.
I don't think that's the point of the OP. It's regarding the "turn the other" cheek philosophy with regard to street racing if it is someone who is well known on a board.
His point - it's ok to criticize some but not others based on their popularity?
I don't understand the mentality behind street racing in general, but I can't side with anyone who does it and takes their own life (or worse) someone elses.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:11 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I believe it's more of a timing and perception issue. If someone had posted initially that there was a wreck as a result of street racing, then the usual pile-on of critical posts would have started. Later, when it was discovered that it was Kevin, the outpouring of sympathy would have been tempered by the knowledge of circumstances.

Oddly enough, if you look through the thread, one of the initial posts hints at the fact that the "accident" has a lot more to the story that had been told.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:16 AM
vaughn1576

Originally Posted by Z-T
I don't think that's the point of the OP. It's regarding the "turn the other" cheek philosophy with regard to street racing if it is someone who is well known on a board.
His point - it's ok to criticize some but not others based on their popularity?
I don't understand the mentality behind street racing in general, but I can't side with anyone who does it and takes their own life (or worse) someone elses.
Your right but,

I think what's happening here is that our criticism is muted because the member was pretty well known.

I think that part is normal however. It's the difference between how you feel when someone you know dies and a complete stranger under bad circumstances. You tend to overlook the mistake of the person you know because of the personal bond.

Most people on the board who didn't know Kevin won't desecrate the threads where the death is discussed by condemning street racing at this time. It's probably better that way.

If we didn't know him more would be apt to bash away. It's happened before here.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:26 AM
Vorais

Originally Posted by danisr1
As far as I know the Texas driver is still alive and doing better, although he sounds like he is still messed up pretty bad, possibly still in a coma. His and his girlfriends myspace pages are still active.

As far as Kevin, I am sorry for his family, but have the same feelings for this accident as the other. All I can really say about it is I am glad no one else was injured or killed when he lost control. To me it is no different between the two. However, there are a lot of people that seem to think that one person should be treated with more respect than another just because they are more familiar with one than the other. I have lost a couple friends to this BS and I don't give them any more respect than I do Kevin or Timothy.

Again, I am truely sorry for the suffering that his family and friends are goign through because Kevin died and I pray that Timothy recovers fully for his family and friends, but I don't feel bad for either one individually for the choices they made.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:31 AM
crowe

Originally Posted by danisr1
As far as I know the guy in Houston did live. In one of the threads about him there was a link to his and his girlfriend's MySpace pages. You don't have to be a MySpace member to view them, since I'm not a member and I looked at them.

I was checking up on the situation about a month or so ago by following the link and it appeared by the messages and stuff that they woke the guy up. Don't know of his condition, just that he lived.

I see the OP's point on the matter. Although I can't take a stand one way or the other. I have not, nor will I post in either of those threads with personal feelings or comments.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:35 AM
danisr1
Sleeps in 350Z

well i hope the guy in texas makes a full recovery.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:38 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
I believe it's more of a timing and perception issue. If someone had posted initially that there was a wreck as a result of street racing, then the usual pile-on of critical posts would have started. Later, when it was discovered that it was Kevin, the outpouring of sympathy would have been tempered by the knowledge of circumstances.

Oddly enough, if you look through the thread, one of the initial posts hints at the fact that the "accident" has a lot more to the story that had been told.
Agree. One thread opened with “We have lost a valued member."
The other with “Some dumb *** driving a 350Z just killed himself.”

Other members simply followed suit.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:43 AM
dTor

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3

And had the fact that he had been street racing been revealed at the start of the thread, I imagine there would not have been such an outpooring of sympathy from people who did not know him. If you read the original little newspaper article, it says that he was thrown from the vehicle. That only results from somebody not wearing a seatbelt. Having the accident result from street racing just makes the whole situation a lot less empathetic.

I feel bad for his family and friends. He did a crappy thing to them and now they all must suffer.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:44 AM
TUNER350

I think personally alot of the bashing stems from one person starting it and the others thinking hey hmmm ya he needs to be bashed but honestly no one should be ripped apart in any situation! They did the crime so let them or whoever does it pay for it. I dont think we should step in and play god in these situations. More so step back and say wow very tragic RIP brother/sister and learn from their mistakes. Its human nature to step forward and say WTF and start tearing them apart and that has become what our society is all about.

I have experience a situation like this before and I have had many friends die bc of this. Back in H.S. my friends were driving a WRX at 120 ish and the driver lost control and killed my best friend Heather and seriously insured himself and 3 other people. Now she was his friend and everyones friend and we were a tight close group, but that instance fingers pointed and her brother began filling his heart with hatred towards the driver(as so did i) but that was the wrong way to handle the situation though. Do you not think he doesnt have to live with the guilt of killing his best friend and then all the hatred towards him for the rest of his life? I think its between him and god/courts.

I just dont believe its our call to point fingers. Yes kevin was in the wrong, but at this time or ever i dont think that pointing fingers is neccessary. Or actually at any members on this site! It shows levels of immaturity from people. Bc every accident should be taken very seriously and we are glad they are still with us! Sure people mess up welcome to life, but its not our call to step in.

I do understand what the OP is talking about, and sincerely sorry for the guy in texas, bc of what he has to live with everyday for the rest of his life! IDK though just my 2 cents. I know its hard to just step back and not say anything but from now on i think it should be done..........
Old 06-19-2007, 09:47 AM
TUNER350

what was his name on the site? the guy from texas?

Last edited by TUNER350; 06-19-2007 at 09:53 AM.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:47 AM
mcurry5

You are 100% correct.Its all about who you know. They both were street racing and both are complete idiots for doing so. You never want to see anyone ever hurt or injured, but you alway know the risks and get what is coming to you. Especially street racing and not wearing a seatbelt. That is even more stupid. These comments may be harsh but they are the truth. What he did hurts everyone. Insurance goes up, public trust in these cars goes down ect...
Old 06-19-2007, 09:48 AM
dTor

One other thing...

If anything else, we should have more sympathy for the 16 year old than the 31 year old.

The kid is still young, inexperienced, and probably didn't know how to control himself, his vehicle, or his hormones.

The adult knew better - he's seen and heard the stories, has presumably been driving a long time, and should have been fully aware of the possible outcome of his actions.

Quick Reply: 350Z Crashes and Results