Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oddest thing during tiptronic shift

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 12:25 AM
tractng

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oddest thing during tiptronic shift

I was doing some spirit driving in my roadster AT and during a shift from 2nd to 3rd gear, it went into "D" when I am on the manual mode.

To be honest, I really don't know what I did to cause this.

To make things worst, a guy in a "malibu" with his family on board tried to show me that his car is faster-he even passed me while my car is in the wrong gear (now I am pissed).

It would not go out of the "D" gear no matter what I did. I finally had a chance to park and turned off the engine that seemed to fix the problem.

Now I really missed my manual coupe!!!

Tony
Old 07-02-2007, 04:33 AM
IcW@TeR

is the z really tiptronic? i though it had some wannabe tiptronic auto transmission
Old 07-02-2007, 04:37 AM
Brrcats

i believe he's using the term "tiptronic" to just describe the clutchless manual mode on the automatics

I do the same thing, even if it is not technically right, everyone will know what you're talking about.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:51 AM
Seel

Originally Posted by tractng
I was doing some spirit driving in my roadster AT and during a shift from 2nd to 3rd gear, it went into "D" when I am on the manual mode.

To be honest, I really don't know what I did to cause this.

To make things worst, a guy in a "malibu" with his family on board tried to show me that his car is faster-he even passed me while my car is in the wrong gear (now I am pissed).

It would not go out of the "D" gear no matter what I did. I finally had a chance to park and turned off the engine that seemed to fix the problem.

Now I really missed my manual coupe!!!

Tony

You're racing people in malibu's with family on board? You've got to be kidding. How old are you???
Old 07-02-2007, 04:51 AM
coachk
Banned

Just for future reference, on this forum we call it manual mode.I've been on this site for a long time and don't recall anyone having that issue.If its under warranty maybe see if they know whats up.I have an 03 and drive alot of the time in manual mode and have never had that problem...sorry I couldn't be more help
Old 07-02-2007, 05:10 AM
Lawy'dU

Originally Posted by IcW@TeR
is the z really tiptronic? i though it had some wannabe tiptronic auto transmission
no it's tiptronic. It's actually a pretty decent system. It doesn't automatically shift up or down unless you tell it to.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:21 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The only advice I can give is not to bother bringing it in to the dealership unless you can replicate the problem or are showing codes.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:29 AM
arma

Originally Posted by IcW@TeR
nope it instantly shifts at redline if u want it to. works great. in drive it relearns ur driving habits if u are drivng more aggresively or more passively.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:42 AM
Peak350

Originally Posted by arma
nope it instantly shifts at redline if u want it to. works great. in drive it relearns ur driving habits if u are drivng more aggresively or more passively.
Is the adaptation in the transmission or throttle response. Most DBW cars have a throttle remapping algorithm intended to adapt to individual driving styles.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:52 AM
coachk
Banned

Originally Posted by arma
Are you saying it instantly shifts at redline in manual mode? Not sure exactly what you mean...
Old 07-02-2007, 06:40 AM
davids
F U StuLax18

Yes the most important thing you should learn from this thread is what manual mode is and the correct term to use, rather than actually getting an answer to your question.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:24 AM
tractng

Originally Posted by Seel
You're racing people in malibu's with family on board? You've got to be kidding. How old are you???

Not racing. I was just driving on my own (spirit driving) when this guy decides to test his car. Did you read the thread?

Tony

Last edited by tractng; 07-02-2007 at 07:27 AM.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:04 AM
Seel

Originally Posted by tractng
Not racing. I was just driving on my own (spirit driving) when this guy decides to test his car. Did you read the thread?

Tony

Now that I've read it again it seems like you were about to race him to make sure he didn't beat you. That's just as bad.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:12 AM
wckdclw

mines done the same thing, i ever figured out why, its done it 3 or 4 times but i usually just stop, shut off the car then its fine again
Old 07-02-2007, 09:26 AM
Chosin

Never thought of trying to see if the manual mode would basically run out the gears and shift at redline will have to see tonight I guess.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:42 AM
aloh

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Even if you hit the redline, it wont shift up. Ive tried it to see what would happen. All it does is cut the throttle, but it will not shift up for you. THe only time it changes gears without your input is if youre going too slow for that gear and will downshift to a more appropriate one.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:44 AM
floppydizzle

Originally Posted by Chosin
Never thought of trying to see if the manual mode would basically run out the gears and shift at redline will have to see tonight I guess.
It doesn't auto **** at redline it holds the gears until you shift... thankfully or else the redline increase from TS reflash wouldn't get used at all.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:49 AM
md350

Manual mode does not shift at redline. You can bounce off the rev limiter all day if you want to.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:53 PM
Suvlaki

when you were "racing" this "malibu," did you keep your hand on the shifter? the shifter is very sensitive as far as shifting it back and forth from D is concerned, and if u accidently move it a little bit to the left, it can go in D.

Maybe you accidently moved it just a tad, realized that it was moving so you tried to move it back, and did it at juuuuust the right speed so that the computer locked up and thought that the tranny was in D instead of manual mode. Coming from a computer proramming and electrical engineering background, I know lock ups like this are actually more frequent than people think.

Try shifting up and down in manual mode, but taking your hand off the shifter between shifts. If you can replicate the problem, take it to the stealership.

..and don't ever lose to a malibu again.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:58 PM
fr0ng

hi i drive an automatic sports car

Quick Reply: oddest thing during tiptronic shift