Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Flame me

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 07:12 AM
Suvlaki

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by saberphx
All the auto people should go test drive a manual to see how it feels. If your curious that is.
i did... and although the MT was a bit funner, the convinience of the AT outweighs the extra "fun" in the MT for me. AT in manual mode is pretty much the same thing and I can still have alot of fun with the car.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:24 AM
WYZIWYG

Received 208 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by nathanwl2004
great you have an auto,

want a ****in cookie or what?

really what was the point of this thread?
OOOOOH!!! We get cookies for owning an AT? Then the line forms behind me dammit. Nothing better than warm, choclate chip cookies fresh from the oven. MMMMMMMMMMMMMM!
Old 07-25-2007, 07:37 AM
stalarman@yahoo

if no one else has the urge..
Attached Thumbnails Flame me-flame.jpg  
Old 07-25-2007, 08:40 AM
icepig

Originally Posted by kppc300
I have always been avoiding the fact that i have an auto 06 even though i wanted manual.....but i am finally ready! Im about to put on my flame suit.
i'm already flaming!
Old 07-25-2007, 08:47 AM
nzpv03

I think if someone got their Z as a "weekend car" they should have gotten an MT, but for a DD, it makes perfect sense to have an AT for the convenience =]
Old 07-25-2007, 09:04 AM
kppc300

If i had a dime for everytime i heard "you should have got a manual Z"....I'd have enough money to buy another manual Z! lol
Old 07-25-2007, 09:11 AM
Key Of Z

I'm an M/T guy from way back, but I think this car would still be a hoot with an auto. The only auto I had that I can remember was an '01 Acura CL Type S. The manumatic was some fun as I recall. I came to the Z from a Honda S2000 as well and that gearbox had shifts like a rifle bolt. Very precise, but it always had a little notchiness from 2nd to 3rd. I love the 6 spd in the '07 Z. Short throws, very smooth and accurate. I'd rate it with the best I've ever driven. I never understood why people argue about this. You pay for a car. You get what you want, and you do whatever you want with it. Seems simple to me.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:30 AM
Zshazz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Darthvol
I've not only "tried" to do it, I've logged at least a couple hundred K mi. in some degree of pain/discomfort, all in the name of driving a cool, bad, hot, performance, enthusiast, blah, blah, blah, car. Over the miles, the situation worsens for me, not the other way around.
I'm sorry to hear that . I only did it for a few hundred miles before I went to the chiropractor to get my back fixed ... but I could see being uncomfortable if it was 100% of the time... but then again, I sat in my old BMW 330xi (auto) before going off in the Z and I knew immediately it wasn't going to work because the seats simply didn't support my back enough.

Seat comfort is at least as subjective as the "attractiveness" of a car's exterior. For me, the Z's seats are some of the most uncomfortable seats of any car I've ever owned, save for the '02 Civic Si and '02 S2000 I had, both manuals. For me the seats are just too narrow, as were the G's, and the side bolsters don't support me but pinch me. To me, they seemed designed for narrow JDM behinds. And no, I'm not morbily obese, but I could sure stand to lose 20-30 lbs., like the majority of Americans.
I agree, seat comfort is subjective ... I could probably lose ~50-100lbs, yet I still think I fit well in these seats. Well, then again, I did pick the cloth seats (I wonder if that makes a difference??). Also, since it was a lower rib, the gripping action of the seat might have made it feel better .

OTOH, I love the firm, supportive but wider feel of most of BMW's seats, even though I have liked only a very few Bimmers over the years, while my wife can't stand them and thinks they're too hard.
BMW's sports seats are alright ... but their standard seats are plain horrible. The standard seats push up against your butt and, therefor, resist "sucking you in" to hold you down properly. They add pressure too, so, when I hopped in my ol' 330xi with my back hurting, I actually felt a little less comfortable ... almost like I'd have to readjust the seat to account for my rib. However, the Z wasn't like that ... I sat in it, and the perfect position for regular driving felt great even when I was in pain. But, like you said, seat comfort is subjective.