Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

I applaud you MT drivers. I really do...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 10:14 AM
lilquazyvietboi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If i bought an AT, it would be on Auto the full time. Why would i spend extra money for an AT to keep it in Manual. That's what i dont understand.

Even on the track, i think u'd get better times by keeping it auto then to have it in manual mode.

Only the corner at a high speed circuit track is when you need to hold gears. and manual mode allows you enter the corner in neutral for drifting.

evo x are coming out with ONLY paddle shifters... not AT.
It got me thinking why would a rally car do that? i found some nice advantages to having both hand on steering wheel.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:58 AM
fowlman01

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lilquazyvietboi
If i bought an AT, it would be on Auto the full time. Why would i spend extra money for an AT to keep it in Manual. That's what i dont understand.

Even on the track, i think u'd get better times by keeping it auto then to have it in manual mode.

Only the corner at a high speed circuit track is when you need to hold gears. and manual mode allows you enter the corner in neutral for drifting.

evo x are coming out with ONLY paddle shifters... not AT.
It got me thinking why would a rally car do that? i found some nice advantages to having both hand on steering wheel.
Auto mode makes the 5AT about 1/2 second slower in a drag race and I'm not sure why anyone would want to go into a corner in neutral.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:52 PM
carlitoss2000

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350
I agree with you. Only way i would buy an automatic sports car is if my gf/wife or family members needed to drive it. A lot of my young friends drive an auto because their cars were bought by their parents and those were teh guidelines or getting the car as a graduation present. As long as you are not one of those people who put a shiftboot around an automatic shifter, it's ok.

Yeah, i never stalled in traffic. It's pretty hard to do. Driving stick isn't that bad. As long as you don't have the clutch and the break in at the same time in traffic. I have seen too many people do that and kill their clutch.

Wait, what? is that bad..............I do that sometimes without really thinking it. Most of the time my car is on neutral but there are times when I catch myself pressing the break and clutch in at the same time. For the most part though, I'll shift down and hold the clutch half way and do it like that. Can someone explain to me what's so wrong with having the clutch and break pressed at the same time.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:59 PM
zpak

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by carlitoss2000
Wait, what? is that bad..............I do that sometimes without really thinking it. Most of the time my car is on neutral but there are times when I catch myself pressing the break and clutch in at the same time. For the most part though, I'll shift down and hold the clutch half way and do it like that. Can someone explain to me what's so wrong with having the clutch and break pressed at the same time.
There are occasions when you have to brake/clutch at the same time (braking the car to slow, clutch to get out of gear). I don't think this poses a problem unless you're clutching for an extended period of time.

Usually, when braking and clutching, the "clutching" part of it is either to 1) get out of gear and into neutral, or 2) to downshift (engine braking, saving wear on the brakes). Therefore, the clutch aspect of the ordeal should be momentary/transient. You can always save wear on your clutch by rev-matching (as was mentioned before).

Again, if you're left foot is just riding the clutch and keeping it depressed for an extended period of time, you'll accelerate clutch wear, regardless of if you're braking at the same time or not. I think a lot of people brake and then simultaneously clutch at the same time, but they'll keep the clutch depressed (for whatever reason...I don't know) instead of lifting off, and that's bad.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:40 AM
chadalac350z

Originally Posted by Nero

i city drive my MT DAILY...i cant drive AT, too boring. i need something to do or else i fall asleep or something
+1 He is right...
Old 10-17-2007, 12:53 AM
HDPDZO6

Originally Posted by chadalac350z
+1 He is right...
I hope you can shift faster than you can read threads... Afterall it only took you a full month to think up your little quip...
Old 10-17-2007, 05:51 AM
fowlman01

Originally Posted by HDPD350Z
I hope you can shift faster than you can read threads... Afterall it only took you a full month to think up your little quip...
that's not to bad for a person from florida.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:44 AM
cnin

Default uhhhhhh autos suck

i can say that, ive had an 03 auto z+ totalled, now 04.5 z 6mt. much better car feels more powerful and besides i was tired of my 6mt buds calling mines a girl car besides a sports car= 350z auto z= vagina
Old 10-17-2007, 07:01 AM
fowlman01

Originally Posted by cnin
i can say that, ive had an 03 auto z+ totalled, now 04.5 z 6mt. much better car feels more powerful and besides i was tired of my 6mt buds calling mines a girl car besides a sports car= 350z auto z= vagina
You probably think you have a little dick too.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:13 AM
cnin

Default duhhh

okay rainman. first place, u dont even make sense douche bag. secondly, see everybody this is why you dont pop your collar and you dont buy auto z's cause you become a disgruntled *&^% like fowlman everyday you drive your vagina-mobile auto 350z.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:48 AM
HDPDZO6

Was the AT just too much power for you? That why you totaled it?
Old 10-17-2007, 10:24 AM
fowlman01

Originally Posted by HDPD350Z
Was the AT just too much power for you? That why you totaled it?
Old 10-17-2007, 10:28 AM
SniperHunter

Exactly why I don't give a **** about owning an MT. Why do you care what others call you? Are you that insecure to let a bunch of morons force you to make a $30k decision? Grow up.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:28 AM
fowlman01

okay rainman. first place, u dont even make sense douche bag. secondly, see everybody this is why you dont pop your collar and you dont buy auto z's cause you become a disgruntled *&^% like fowlman everyday you drive your vagina-mobile auto 350z.
Just a little news for you. This is the new Skyline.

PHOTO GALLERY
The coming Nissan GT-R is a world-class supercar: Nissan claims top speed of 193 mph, 0-60 in 3.5 seconds, a 473 hp, 433 lb ft twin-turbo V6 mounted in the front and driving all four wheels through a rear-mounted transaxle. Take a breath. Okay, continue. And a dual-clutch six-speed automatic you can operate via paddles on the steering wheel.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:48 PM
page04Z

A sports car needs to be a MT... seriously

I bought a jeep that was an auto because well its a jeep and I don't need a 5spd jeep.

When I was shopping for my 350z I was in MT-only mode. Automatics just don't do enough justice for me to want one on my sports car.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:56 PM
xNeo

Originally Posted by fowlman01
Just a little news for you. This is the new Skyline.

PHOTO GALLERY
The coming Nissan GT-R is a world-class supercar: Nissan claims top speed of 193 mph, 0-60 in 3.5 seconds, a 473 hp, 433 lb ft twin-turbo V6 mounted in the front and driving all four wheels through a rear-mounted transaxle. Take a breath. Okay, continue. And a dual-clutch six-speed automatic you can operate via paddles on the steering wheel.
You on crack, the new skyline tranny is NOT the same as the Z's tranny its a sequential manual transmission. It does switch the gears for you automatically, but it is not automatic...similar to SMG and F1 cars.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:03 PM
phorbo007

Originally Posted by xNeo
You on crack, the new skyline tranny is NOT the same as the Z's tranny its a sequential manual transmission. It does switch the gears for you automatically, but it is not automatic...similar to SMG and F1 cars.
Amen. Don't compare the Z's auto tranny with other advanced "automatic" systems out there.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:56 PM
cnin

Default uhh okay

fowl man at least you got some others on here backing you up for your 30k dollar mistake. yeah the automatic was why i totalled the car oh and prob the accident in front of me on the highway, douchette. Plus the manumatic triptronic reminds me of a tiburon. Its a totally different vehicle.Remember OBIE i had both. So i feel you on your mistake. Point hopefully taken if not fuc it i still love my car.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:05 PM
fowlman01

Originally Posted by xNeo
You must be the one on crack if you think that is what I said. That post is copied from the Nissan website. I can post the whole article when you sober up.

My only words in that post were: Just a little news for you. This is the new Skyline.

The reality is that hot cars are going to automatic LIKE trannies. I like 6MT's, I just can't commute with one.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:08 PM
page04Z

Originally Posted by fowlman01
You must be the one on crack if you think that is what I said. That post is copied from the Nissan website. I can post the whole article when you sober up.

My only words in that post were: Just a little news for you. This is the new Skyline.

The reality is that hot cars are going to automatic LIKE trannies. I like 6MT's, I just can't commute with one.

Jet engines are the futu, the future the future...

Quick Reply: I applaud you MT drivers. I really do...