Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

I applaud you MT drivers. I really do...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 02:56 PM
fowlman01

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike100
So far, no one’s mentioned how slowly the Z's RPMs drop (not sure if that’s the case with the 2007 Z). I find this very annoying when doing fast up-shifts while running up the engine speed. I noticed the same problem when driving a G35, so it must be something with Nissan/Infiniti.

I wonder if this is the reason guys running AT’s have more consistent acceleration results and turn in better numbers than MT drivers. With the manual transmission I find myself waiting a fraction of a second to do a fast up-shift when the RPM’s are high. It’s all about timing with the MT. My bet is the AT handles this problem much better.

--Spike
At the drags the early 6MT's had grinding and shifting problems. they would get hung up or hit the wrong gear. I'm not talking about inept drivers. I'm talking about guys that could throw very fast shifts with other trannies. That appears to be fixed since many of the guys out here are shifting at WOT (no lift to shift). The 5AT shifts very quickly. At least as fast as the manual can be shifted. Maybe faster, since there is very little drop in rpm. I shift at 300 rpm short of redline and the engine goes up about 280 rpm or so during the shift. (I am at WOT the whole trip) Just enough to keep it from hitting the rev limiter. Here is a couple slips from bone stock runs with street tires.
Note the crappy trap speed. When I got into 13.7's it would be 98-99 mph. Car #88. The 6MT's would always have much higher trap speeds, even with much slower times.

Anyone have any ideas about this?
Attached Thumbnails I applaud you MT drivers. I really do...-time-slips-2.jpeg  
Old 10-19-2007, 03:11 PM
dutchboy350Z
Finally some go

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hraesvelg
I swear to fuking god, the quality of members goes down the cheaper the Z gets and the more movies it's in.
+1 ... there needs to be an asshat litmus test to join this site ... Involving questions only asshats would know the answers to. You would basically have to fail miserable to be allowed to join.

Maybe we should unban Jvanquish and Shayan and pick their wee little brains for suggestions.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:17 PM
fowlman01

Originally Posted by page04Z
I love the throttle response of the Z compared to my wrx... seriously

I mean you guys have probably heard this all before, but it was light night and day going from wrx to my Z. I love how fast it revs and drops, makes it MUCh easier than my wrx to heel/toe and revmatch downshifts and double clutches.
Does the wrx have "fly by wire". the throttle response in the Z is quick and I always thought it was because of that..
Old 10-19-2007, 03:18 PM
fowlman01

Originally Posted by dutchboy350Z
+1 ... there needs to be an asshat litmus test to join this site ... Involving questions only asshats would know the answers to. You would basically have to fail miserable to be allowed to join.

Maybe we should unban Jvanquish and Shayan and pick their wee little brains for suggestions.
I would endorse that.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:24 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dutchboy350Z

Nah, we have enough asshats already here.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:32 PM
fowlman01

Nah, we have enough asshats already here.
they come in handy for boring days like today. god, I ran into about 5 of them today. I love the smell of burning noobs.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:40 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Originally Posted by fowlman01
they come in handy for boring days like today. god, I ran into about 5 of them today. I love the smell of burning noobs.
Hell yeah. I was glued to the PC all afternoon. Thank god we had extra people here today.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:56 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by page04Z
I love the throttle response of the Z compared to my wrx... seriously

I mean you guys have probably heard this all before, but it was light night and day going from wrx to my Z. I love how fast it revs and drops, makes it MUCh easier than my wrx to heel/toe and revmatch downshifts and double clutches.
I’m talking about up-shifts under high acceleration and not downshifts and accelerator “blips” for rev-matching. In fact the slow RPM drop in the Z makes rev-matching easier.

If you like how fast the RPM’s drop in the Z, you will just love how much faster the drop is in a Corvette or Porsche (Boxter, Cayman, or other models) when up-shifting under maximum power and acceleration. Go to one of the dealers for cars I mention and take a test drive. It’s really fun to run up the engine, do a fast up-shift and have the engine speed-drop exactly match your very fast up-shift. It spoils you and makes you want your Z to do that.

--Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 10-19-2007 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:35 PM
Spike100

At the drags the early 6MT's had grinding and shifting problems. they would get hung up or hit the wrong gear. I'm not talking about inept drivers. I'm talking about guys that could throw very fast shifts with other trannies. That appears to be fixed since many of the guys out here are shifting at WOT (no lift to shift). The 5AT shifts very quickly. At least as fast as the manual can be shifted. Maybe faster, since there is very little drop in rpm. I shift at 300 rpm short of redline and the engine goes up about 280 rpm or so during the shift. (I am at WOT the whole trip) Just enough to keep it from hitting the rev limiter. Here is a couple slips from bone stock runs with street tires.
Note the crappy trap speed. When I got into 13.7's it would be 98-99 mph. Car #88. The 6MT's would always have much higher trap speeds, even with much slower times.

Anyone have any ideas about this?
They might if they could read it.

--Spike
Old 10-19-2007, 04:41 PM
fowlman01

They might if they could read it.

--Spike
give it a tap and it gets bigger.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:54 PM
Accordaleer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Either way if your cruising in your final gear you can fall asleep....
Old 10-19-2007, 05:27 PM
Spike100

give it a tap and it gets bigger.
One click makes it bigger, but not readable. Notice that no one has commented on your chart.

I used/needed the magnifier function built into my Microsoft USB Mouse software to read this. The "Ease of Access" magnifier in Vista also makes the chart readable.

--Spike
Old 10-19-2007, 05:30 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

One click makes it bigger, but not readable. Notice that no one has commented on your chart.

I used/needed the magnifier function built into my Microsoft USB Mouse software to read this. The "Ease of Access" magnifier in Vista also makes the chart readable.

--Spike
I can read it just fine. Maybe you need glasses?
Old 10-19-2007, 05:33 PM
fowlman01

--Spike
Wow! I can read it and I'm old. Maybe it is time to see the eye doc.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:36 PM
Spike100

I can read it just fine. Maybe you need glasses?
58 years old... for sure I need glasses... but hopefully not the magnifiers in Vista quite yet.

Notice no one has any comments about the posted chart. I don't think they can read it (or maybe they don't understand what the values mean).

--Spike
Old 10-19-2007, 05:38 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

58 years old... for sure I need glasses... but hopefully not the magnifiers in Vista quite yet.

Notice no one has any comments about the posted chart. I don't think they can read it (or maybe they don't understand what the values mean).

--Spike
I just don't care, hence why I haven't commented.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:42 PM
Spike100

This would be a great poll: Can you read Fowlman01's chart?

Of course, the poll should also include an eye chart as well to establish a base level for those who chose to vote.

--Spike
Old 10-19-2007, 05:53 PM
Spike100

I just don't care, hence why I haven't commented.
You don't care?!

Your pal went to all the trouble to pull the sheets, photograph them, upload the images, and post them with a message. And... now you tell him you don't care. You are heartless.

--Spike
Old 10-19-2007, 06:00 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

You are heartless.
That's what I'm told.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:10 PM
cnin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Okay

actually im in the military for 6 years im 23 years old been in since 17yrs old been overseas for three years of it protecting peeps like u so u could drive ur auto z's.No Offense.

Ive earned everything i have .I had an automatic z it was my first z. I just believe after having both that the experience is not there in the auto z.

On the real if you like your auto z more power to you. I just dont see many guys at tracks with auto z's.

Quick Reply: I applaud you MT drivers. I really do...