Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

I applaud you MT drivers. I really do...

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 04:31 PM
Dr. Venture

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

what?

Last edited by Dr. Venture; 09-25-2008 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:57 PM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by My350P
His point was that the standard skyline models in japan were just nice sedans, nothing sporty or special about them. The GT-R model of the skyline is the
'supercar' you are referring to. Vastly different than a regular skyline.
Exactly...thank you.

Kinda like a BMW 325 or 328 and then theres an M3, but in the GTR's case it's a completely different drive-train.

The current GTR shares nothing with the Skyline (aka G35/G37) series.

But "most" know this so I'll just re-emphasize for other newbs.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:26 AM
WV350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SHITTY NISSAN SYNCROS FTW!!!3RD TIME REPLACEMENT HERE..ONCE FACTORY...2ND REPLACED..FAIL...ON A 3RD SET NOW.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:22 AM
TheBigPhantom

I'm just going to have to agree and say that why buy a SPORTS CAR and not have it be a MANUAL
Old 09-30-2008, 05:49 AM
j.arnaldo
Banned

'O4 Touring Coupe! FLAWLESS AT!! 13k!!! $2O,5OO!!!! NO feathering!!!!!
Old 10-01-2008, 05:12 AM
gregom

Originally Posted by MarvinMartian
I learned to drive stick on a '75 Nova with a three-speed column shift.

My Z's clutch is feather-light and butter-soft compared to my old Chevy's truck transmission.
Exactly... I don't know why all you are complaining, the Z's clutch is pretty light. I used to have a 88 VW GTI, dry cable clutch, very very heavy. I've sat in traffic with it... yeah it sucks, but you learn of ways to deal with it. I don't really like light clutch pedals, can't feel whats going on. My Tiburon had a light clutch pedal and it annoyed the crap out of me. Kinda miss it though because now i'm bored when driving an auto, only fun I get is drifting corners.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:16 PM
orgasm_donor

Originally Posted by gregom
Exactly... I don't know why all you are complaining, the Z's clutch is pretty light. I used to have a 88 VW GTI, dry cable clutch, very very heavy. I've sat in traffic with it... yeah it sucks, but you learn of ways to deal with it. I don't really like light clutch pedals, can't feel whats going on. My Tiburon had a light clutch pedal and it annoyed the crap out of me. Kinda miss it though because now i'm bored when driving an auto, only fun I get is drifting corners.
My '83 Civic had a sticky manual clutch cable that eventually snapped because it was so stiff.

As for the 350Z I just bought two weeks ago I didn't have any problems at all driving it around. Its not as daily friendly as my '03 Civic but its still quite the pleasure to drive.

About three weeks ago i drove a customer's '92 Ferrari 512TR (Testarosa basically) and it was a lot less user friendly than the Z. First of all the brake is about 1/2" from the gas and the gas pedal is thin and right up against the centre 'hump'. I have a size 8 mens shoe and it was still getting stuck on the brake as I tried to accelerate. The gear shift was heavy and gated so you need quite a bit of experience to shift. After that it was a pleasure to drive my 350 again.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:39 PM
kelvin0c

wow i have a MT and i love it in the rain or the dry weather.. popping the clutch in secound drifting around corners its great.. one thing of advice is DONT TEACH UR GF HOW TO DRIVE A MT my last gf stole my car and took it joy riding over speed bumps at like 30mph >
Old 10-01-2008, 10:48 PM
Redline_Burner

I don't understand why you guys complain about driving 350Zs. Drive a subaru WRX clutch around as your DD and a 350Z looks like cake. The clutch is so light and engages perfectly. The shifter feels just short of an S2000's in tightness and the driving position is phenomenal. I guess I just don't get what people expect of a MT car these days. Super light honda clutch is NOT the answer. You HAVE to have some feedback or else there is no point.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:57 AM
350Zdj

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

it's always fun reading a/t vs m/t threads LOL.

I've driven a m/t Z and it isn't all that bad... I love it actually. I'm a always a big fan of m/t's. I've been driving m/t's since i first got my car. The point is, if people complain about m/t's being so crappy and all, wtf, they'd rather be driving an a/t. Simple as that! Same goes for the a/t drivers.

I used to rant about sportscars having a/t's. But I really ended up buying a Z with a/t (long story).

Performance-wise, there's not much difference. The a/t shifts significantly faster compared to the rest of the standard a/t economy cars and 4wd's that i've driven - almost as fast as a pro shifting on m/t. I just needed to adjust driving style to complement an a/t that's all.
I use the manual o/d whenever i go to the track so i could select the desired gears while approaching corners. It does the same purpose as having the manual right?

Bottom line is, Z is still a Z no matter what. It's one of the hottest jap cars out there! Stop the ghey complaints and just drive the fcking thing and enjoy!
It's just a matter of how good you are at handling it in every situation, be it racing or lining up in a bad traffic.

So the saying goes "a bad workman always blames his tools"

anyways, 350z ftmwf!

Last edited by 350Zdj; 10-02-2008 at 01:03 AM. Reason: sp
Old 10-02-2008, 02:27 PM
PabloZ

Fun thread...never ending saga.

I gave my two teenage sons considerable leeway in their “first set of wheels” selections, but mandated 1) cheap insurance, 2) low to medium HP, and 3) manual trans. Wanting them to be moderately knowledgeable about how a vehicle functions, the physics involved, the full driving experience, I just didn’t feel they could get there with an automatic. Once you understand the process of transferring torque from flywheel to rear wheel and all of the issues around upshifting, downshifting, timing, feathering, RPM, engine loading, vacuum levels, fuel economy, etc…then IMO you are a better driver. Then it’s pretty simple to make the leap to understand what AT’s can do for you - if you roll that way.

I’ll echo the observation that even finding an MT vehicle on dealer lots is quite a challenge these days, with the American public obviously slanted toward AT's. I’m amazed at the number of vehicles that don’t even OFFER an AT anymore. Can’t blame the manufacturers, though – they need to sell cars. So, the consumer is responsible. Pity those consumers don't have the dexterity/coordination – or can’t afford the concentration – to actually take an active part in the driving experience. Caveats – amputees and soccer moms truly have an excuse.

Because of this US market shift (pun intended) away from MT’s, my perspective needed adjusting. Instead of vehicle shopping, I went shopping for a 5 or 6-speed manual transmission – independent of model, manufacturer, etc. Then I had the task of choosing the best wrapper I could afford – immediately and long-term. Long story made short, I’m now a 350Z owner, and haven’t looked back.

Remember here that what we're talking about is the joy of driving. Rush hour traffic doesn't constitute driving - that's parking. The slight inconvenience of clutching/shifting in stop-n-go traffic is a small price to pay for the joy of the true driving experience.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:08 PM
Get_Zwole

i love mine. 06 27800 with not one problem. little loud of a chatter but other then that its fantastic.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:46 AM
matix101vz

Originally Posted by Arnold K.
I went to the Nissan dealership, the same one I got my Z from, because my girlfriend wants a Sentra. After we finished talking about the Sentra, I asked if I could check out one of the 07s they had in the lot. They had a SMB Enthusiast demo on the lot, had something like 1100 miles on it.

Anyways, I've driven a number of 6spd Zs, and between the model years I couldn't really feel any big improvements. Shifting was like pushing a stick through a bag of rocks and the clutch was too heavy (more so than a sports car should be). So after driving the 07 and realizing not much has changed, it got me thinking that you guys have ***** and a ton of patience.

I could never tolerate such a transmission, since the Z is my DD. I just can't go a day without driving it, I really can't. When I was in Santa Monica on business in July, the one thing I missed the most was my car - over my gf, and family. I bet I'm not the only one, too.

Anyways, to me the manual mode is plenty of fun. But I know to you purists that clutch means everything. So my hats go off to you guys. I don't know how you do it, especially those who DD their Z, but it sure as hell does take some incredible patience.

/end girly man rant

i hate to say it but +1 on missing it more then gf and fam
Old 10-05-2008, 06:14 AM
edd2045

Originally Posted by Voboy
If the Z's stock clutch is heavy... you need to hit the gym.
lol...im gonna use this as my sig..but they have a point
Old 10-05-2008, 11:21 AM
gtstephenson

Originally Posted by Get_Zwole
i love mine. 06 27800 with not one problem. little loud of a chatter but other then that its fantastic.
I've been driving more than 45 years. Have always had at least one MT car to drive. My Z is my daily driver. The clutch chatter did bug me in my 03 Z but I had the JWT clutch, pressure plate and bearing installed. It's not quite as smooth as my old Porsche but it is a lot better than the stock clutch.

WRT traffic, I live in one of the worst areas for traffic. Hate it. But to me the MT is no worse than AT driving in traffic. If you let up on the throttle, the car slows down. You can mostly avoid using the brake. But with the AT, it's going to coast and you have to keep shifting back and forth brake and throttle. That's a much bigger pain than just managing the throttle.

Tom S.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:27 PM
tecni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

lol I can tell you've never driven a car with a ACT HD pressure plate.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:18 AM
Subninja
Banned

I think the stick will eventually go the way of the dinosaur. My friend drove a GTR and said the experience was pretty good. I figure it is better for driving too because you don't have to take your hands off the wheel and with dual clutches the shifts would be much faster and better for the quarter.

Of course I do get a thrill when driving the car hard and slamming through the gears(you get that jerk that let's you know you are making some decent torque). I guess none of us will know until we actually drive a car with paddle shifters on a day to day basis. Until then long live the manny tranny!
Old 11-09-2008, 08:27 AM
j.arnaldo
Banned

Ditto, Arnold!

J. Arnaldo
____________________________________________________________ ______________
'O4 Touring Coupe. FLAWLESS AT! NO feathering. NO oil-consumption issue. NO PROBLEMO!
Old 11-09-2008, 10:08 AM
Flick Montana

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hate paddle shifters. Only the most refined ones actually shift when you want them to. I also find them to be boring. I like the excitement of driving a manual, I think it makes me feel more connected with the car.

I had to drive a DB9 (HAD TO almost sounds bad there) for a week a couple years ago. The paddle shifters were dreadful. If that car can't do it, I'd like to drive one that can. All else said, I'll take a stick and clutch any day.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:19 PM
BallZdeepNYC

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350z
I love my stiff clutch and notchy shifter. I can't explain it. Feels like a true sports car. Plus after driving this, driving every other manual is cake besides porsches.
Word i have to agree. Porsche cluth/transmissions are very similair to the Z.

Quick Reply: I applaud you MT drivers. I really do...