Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

I applaud you MT drivers. I really do...

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 04:24 PM
BallZdeepNYC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flick Montana
I hate paddle shifters. Only the most refined ones actually shift when you want them to. I also find them to be boring. I like the excitement of driving a manual, I think it makes me feel more connected with the car.

I had to drive a DB9 (HAD TO almost sounds bad there) for a week a couple years ago. The paddle shifters were dreadful. If that car can't do it, I'd like to drive one that can. All else said, I'll take a stick and clutch any day.
The new DCT trannies on the M3 are amazing they shift when shifted they feel like manual trannies if shifted at too low of RPM band they fell like they will stall. I take that tranny over auto
Old 11-09-2008, 04:38 PM
monkey_zee

Originally Posted by Voboy
If the Z's stock clutch is heavy... you need to hit the gym.
That's for sure. When I drive, I always think the stock clutch feels too light and doesn't have enough bite to handle the engine power.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:34 PM
Flick Montana

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SiCKBLaCKMaX99
The new DCT trannies on the M3 are amazing they shift when shifted they feel like manual trannies if shifted at too low of RPM band they fell like they will stall. I take that tranny over auto
Haven't driven one yet, but I will take a paddle shifter over an auto anyways. But I'm always confounded by transmissions. I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to the technology, but I did get a kick out of the Audi TT dual clutch when it came out.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:37 PM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i ripped on a brand new m5 one day and that transmission was crazy,i do valet parking once in a while lol. . felt just like a manual, even getting it to move you had to give it a little before the clutch engages, holds its gear when decelerating, it was awesome and to this day the only auto car that was actually fun as a manual. .

but i do love my manual z, and would never want an auto z, try my clutch with my act clutch kit hard as a rock but i love it and wouldn't want it any other way
Old 11-09-2008, 08:21 PM
tokidoki

i got a stage2 clutch and i love it! works out my left leg real good drivin downtown
Old 11-27-2008, 10:42 AM
ja_Z_on

I'd say it depends on what year Z your talking about. My car was built in 2003-2004 model year. The clutch is very similar to the 5.0 Mustang my uncle had years ago. That was the heaviest clutch i felt. My Clutch is really stiff for driving as a daily vehicle, and i have driven manual my whole life on many types of cars. Its one of the stiffest clutches i have used in a long time. In 2005, they made the clutches really soft and continued using the same mushy clutch on the later models too. Thats why I bought the 03-04, it just feels right. After a while of driving it, it feels normal, but my leg does get very tired in traffic. ( and i do go to the gym by the way..hehehe.) But when i drive another manual car, I push their clutch through the floor. That is when i realize how stiff the Z clutch really is.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:47 AM
ja_Z_on

do your research, 2003 and 2004 have same stiff heavy clutch. In 2005 and newer, Nissan put soft mushy clutches on their manual Z cars. I have on 04 with an 03 model build date, and its clutch is stiff as hell. I drive my buddies 911 turbo, and my clutch is still stiffer than his.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:48 AM
fowlman01

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The two 370Z's I have been in have really easy/light clutch pedals.
edit..soft/mushy
Old 11-27-2008, 10:53 AM
ja_Z_on

I think your smokin crack. Civics and S2000 have the lightest clutches ever. And the Mini S has a clutch so fragile because it was designed for girls. Do some research dude, My buddies had 03 and 04 Z cars too like i have. They changed the stock clutch on it to racing clutch because they wanted to make the clutch lighter. That is the entire point of a racing clutch. Lighter effort for faster shifting. You obviously cant tell the difference between a heavy clutch and a light clutch. The 05- 08 Z cars do have a light clutch, and its because people complained that the 03-04 Z car clutch was to heavy and stiff.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:56 AM
ja_Z_on

should have bought an 03 or 04. The clutch has same stiff feeling as the
300ZX ........( it might even be a little stiffer than the 300)
Old 11-27-2008, 11:01 AM
ja_Z_on

your on crack dude!!!!!!!!!!!! Hyundai cars have the softest and most vague clutches ever!!! why would a car with 270lb of torque, have lighter clutch than some shitty tiburon that has no torque at all. just throwing that out there.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:11 AM
ja_Z_on

Originally Posted by lilquazyvietboi
da *** are you smoking... the Z's clutch is soooo much lighter than my friends car: 06 EVO MR, STI 07, STI 05, EVO 8, Base impreza 06, 06 rsx-s (rsx got shorter and lighter clutch though).... they all have heavier clutch AND shifting... after driving my friends car, and drove my own... i realized... how much easier things are in the 350z. The 350z though.. DOES have a pickier drive train, u gotta be close to perfect to have smooth shift.

If your Z is a 2005 or newer, dont talk. The 03 and 04 had very stiff heavy clutches. Almost same as my old mustang. And Evo and Sti have light clutches from what i have driven. Unless someone put a heavier clutch in those cars, they are quite light. The 05 -08 Z cars had lighter clutches put into them.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:17 AM
ja_Z_on

Originally Posted by Frizzle
As far as the Z's clutch being heavy... i don't believe it is. However the clutch pedal seems rather long when you want to get it fully depressed.

Autos do have their uses, but its for the 1/4 mile and you need a lot of beefing up from most factory autos to reap the benefits.

depends on the year 350Z. The first two years...2003-2004.. were pretty stiff
Old 11-27-2008, 11:19 AM
ja_Z_on

Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc
I lol at people who whine about stiff clutches.

I loved the clutch in my '03 Z. Stiff as all hell. I hate girly man clutches that can be depressed by a soft breeze.

I also hate manual trannys that you can't tell what gear you're in. You know, the ones that feel like a stick in peanut butter.
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-27-2008, 11:20 AM
M3ANMACHINE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ja_Z_on
I think your smokin crack. Civics and S2000 have the lightest clutches ever. And the Mini S has a clutch so fragile because it was designed for girls. Do some research dude, My buddies had 03 and 04 Z cars too like i have. They changed the stock clutch on it to racing clutch because they wanted to make the clutch lighter. That is the entire point of a racing clutch. Lighter effort for faster shifting. You obviously cant tell the difference between a heavy clutch and a light clutch. The 05- 08 Z cars do have a light clutch, and its because people complained that the 03-04 Z car clutch was to heavy and stiff.
should have bought an 03 or 04. The clutch has same stiff feeling as the
300ZX ........( it might even be a little stiffer than the 300)
your on crack dude!!!!!!!!!!!! Hyundai cars have the softest and most vague clutches ever!!! why would a car with 270lb of torque, have lighter clutch than some shitty tiburon that has no torque at all. just throwing that out there.
If your Z is a 2005 or newer, dont talk. The 03 and 04 had very stiff heavy clutches. Almost same as my old mustang. And Evo and Sti have light clutches from what i have driven. Unless someone put a heavier clutch in those cars, they are quite light. The 05 -08 Z cars had lighter clutches put into them.
Look out everybody, the master of clutches has arrived. How dare you speak down to him like that!
Old 11-27-2008, 11:21 AM
gennosuke1

i like driving manual but the thing i applaud to is people who live in san fransico with all those huge hills or places like that, now that would be a really hassle
Old 11-27-2008, 11:23 AM
ja_Z_on

Originally Posted by Alberto
You are a puss...the tranny/clutch is "hard" compared to a Civic but the engagement is positive and I actually think the clutch is wayyy to soft for a sports car. I love my triple plate chatters like a

**** clutch, keeps the normal drivers out of my car

What sports cars you comparing it to? I have driven 911 turbos, Lotus elises, Sti, Evo, and S2000. My 2004 stock Z clutch is very stiff compared to those. Unless your car is an 05 or newer, maybe you can say the clutch is soft ( they changed it in 05) But the 03-04 is stiff as hell.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:30 AM
ja_Z_on

Originally Posted by Ebony350
03's have and even stiffer clutch and an even notchier shifter than 04s and everything after...FYI. It's precise, and unforgiving, the way a manual tranny on a weekend track worhty car should be....End
Um................for your information, the 2003 and 2004 have same clutch and transmission dude. Do your research, they changed the clutch in 2005 which made it really soft. Mine is an early 2004, and its stiff and notchy as hell
Old 11-27-2008, 11:47 AM
ja_Z_on

Originally Posted by gregom
Exactly... I don't know why all you are complaining, the Z's clutch is pretty light. I used to have a 88 VW GTI, dry cable clutch, very very heavy. I've sat in traffic with it... yeah it sucks, but you learn of ways to deal with it. I don't really like light clutch pedals, can't feel whats going on. My Tiburon had a light clutch pedal and it annoyed the crap out of me. Kinda miss it though because now i'm bored when driving an auto, only fun I get is drifting corners.

depends on what year 350Z car. 03 and 04 had really stiff cluthes ( like an old 5.0 Mustang) In 2005 they changed the clutch and made it 10 times softer. I think when others complain about Z having soft clutch, they are reffering to the late model versions. Its a shame they changed it, because the heavier clutch feel on my 2004 feels perfect, and once you get the leg muscles built up, its rewarding to drive.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:50 AM
ja_Z_on

Originally Posted by 350ZEEEEE
Look out everybody, the master of clutches has arrived. How dare you speak down to him like that!
sorry, hahahahahha

i am an engineer. I guess you figured that out already though

lol

Quick Reply: I applaud you MT drivers. I really do...