Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Lost Keys

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2003, 08:18 AM
delros

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Lost Keys

Hello people!!! I jst got my 350Z 5 days ago, Superbalck Performance. No complaints about the car, best looking out there. Problem is with the dealership, they only gave me one key for the car and they said rest are coming because they are sent on different package. I've been calling them about the this but now they're giving me the run around and nobody seems to know where the other keys are. They offered to make duplicates but I want to have all the original keys. Is it really common for dealerships to misplace car keys???
Somebody might have keys to my car and could drive away with it...Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-21-2003, 08:26 AM
k2we

All the keys should have come with the car as well as 2 remote transmitters to unlock your doors. I received a total of 3 keys. 2 are regular keys (black) that will open and close everything. The third key is a redish color and will only work the ignition and door. It will NOT open the glove compartment behind the seat. They call it a valet key but I would never trust a valet to park my car.. would you?? The dealer can make you replacements which are an exact replica of the original's.. You would not know the difference.. I would make the keys ASAP.. Did you get the little metal tag with a 5 digit number on it?? I believe using this tag, Any Nissan dealer can make you an exact replacement key.. Store the number in a safe place.. NOT on your key ring..

Steve (k2we) Dobbs Ferry, NY 9898 Miles since Sept 17th..

Last edited by k2we; 06-21-2003 at 08:32 AM.
Old 06-21-2003, 08:28 AM
Z'd

All the keys and remote openers must be programmed at the same time at the dealership. Take in what you have and have them create as many sets as you want (at their expense). This doesn't solve your original problems of extra sets of keys floating around, but unless someone knew they were for your car, there is little chance that they would be worth anything to anyone. They will turn up at the dealership someday and they will have no idea who they belong to!!!
Old 06-21-2003, 04:47 PM
delros

thanks and I hope your right. I guess the best thing for me to do now is keep on asking the dealership for my original car keys...
Old 06-21-2003, 05:18 PM
Z'd

I discussed this with a friend knowledgable in coded keys and security. If they cut new keys and program all of them together this should solve your problem. Any existing keys not present for the reprogramming would open the door but not start the car!!!
Old 06-21-2003, 07:15 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My brother used to work at a dealership, he said just take your existing key there. They will re-code it and make you new keys with the new code. It's pretty simple.
Old 06-21-2003, 11:21 PM
delros

Thanks people for all the info. I'm going to the dealership on Monday and follow your advise. I'll keep you guys posted...
Old 06-22-2003, 03:54 AM
polar

I'm more paranoid - did the package have your name on it anywhere? If so they could still use the keys to get into your car (althogyh recoding makes it less likely to get stolen altogether). Like people have said, the keys should have come with the car - make them put new locks on it. Something doesnt sound right with their story.
Old 06-22-2003, 07:50 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by polar-md
I'm more paranoid - did the package have your name on it anywhere? If so they could still use the keys to get into your car (althogyh recoding makes it less likely to get stolen altogether). Like people have said, the keys should have come with the car - make them put new locks on it. Something doesnt sound right with their story.
You have nothing to worry about as long as you get the key(s) re-coded. They can get in your car (make sure nothing is valuable just in case), they can turn on the electronics, but when they start the ignition, the engine reads the code and will shut the car down. This has happened on my Mom's Sebring, she made a copy for me, I started it and it stayed on about 2 seconds then shuts off. You can get 5 feet at best if you floor it right when you start it and it will take you forever to get anywhere. lol. You could get it faster and further pushing it (which I did instead to move it ). Lexus' read the key code, and if it is wrong or non-existant, it locks the key in. You have to send it to Toyota/Lexus headquarter to get the key out (he was using a copy he made for someone else). That's smart but it can be a pain when you are without your Lexus for 2 months b/c they have a anti-theft system.