Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Those with Auto Trannys

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 10:39 AM
test123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Those with Auto Trannys

Do you regret the fact you purchased an auto and didn't purchase a manual?

I am going car shopping this weekend, and I noticed a good deal of AT's in 350Z's for sale right now. They don't seem to be moving off the used car lots that fast. I plan on test driving both, but want to hear your input. Seems as though dealers would strike a better deal on an AT before manual. I'm seeing 2006 Tourings in the 22k range with pretty low miles (AT).
Old 02-21-2008, 10:54 AM
Key Of Z

I depends 100% on your priorieties. For me, having a three pedals is half the fun of any car. Especially a car like this. The Z has a very good gearbox. Very direct with nice short throws. After re-reading the title, you're looking for responses from a/t owners. Please disregard.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:55 AM
nothix

I choose an AT and regret it after getting into modding.

btw nice username..fishing?
Old 02-21-2008, 11:06 AM
test123

Originally Posted by nothix
I choose an AT and regret it after getting into modding.

btw nice username..fishing?
No, no fishing. I signed up just to view threads and pictures and just used a BS username. Then got involved and posted a few times. I need to change my username, once I purchase a Z I will most likely change it.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:09 AM
test123

Originally Posted by Key Of Z
I depends 100% on your priorieties. For me, having a three pedals is half the fun of any car. Especially a car like this. The Z has a very good gearbox. Very direct with nice short throws. After re-reading the title, you're looking for responses from a/t owners. Please disregard.
Yeah you're right, I look at Z's and it almost doesn't look right with an Auto in it. I purchased a Prelude a few years back and regretted not getting stick, kind of ruined the fun. Especially when the tranny went.

I do not plan on racing or modding the car too much, maybe some aftermarket wheels and stereo equipment. I just found better deals on auto's so I just wanted to get some input.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:12 AM
Bigsapz

I regret the AT when I push on the gas to make a quick U turn or accel from a stop and it just CHOKES for a sec b4 it goes. Sometimes it bothers me. Other then that tho, I have no issues. Thank god for auto-stick!
Old 02-21-2008, 11:14 AM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by test123
Yeah you're right, I look at Z's and it almost doesn't look right with an Auto in it. I purchased a Prelude a few years back and regretted not getting stick, kind of ruined the fun. Especially when the tranny went.

I do not plan on racing or modding the car too much, maybe some aftermarket wheels and stereo equipment. I just found better deals on auto's so I just wanted to get some input.
Unlike your prelude, the Z is much faster with teh AT gearbox. For performance and feel, i love my 6mt. I bought another Z roadster with an AT because i drive that daily and it just so much less stress driving in traffic. But i still advise people to get 6mt if it can fit into their lifestyle. Nothing better than shifting through gears on a curvy road.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:18 AM
my05350z

i think people that get an auto have good reason to, like they have one foot, or one arm. I couldn't imagine any other reason.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:28 AM
Bigsapz

Originally Posted by my05350z
i think people that get an auto have good reason to, like they have one foot, or one arm. I couldn't imagine any other reason.
How about the fact they sold me me 05 A/T wit 28K on it for $18,270 this past july? That count as a good reason? I mean Im sure people have gotten better deals but this was pretty good I think. Dealer had it on the lot for 4 months. I got it the day before it was going to be auctioned off. NOONE he said wanted an A/T Z. So I figured WTH Ill buy it.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:30 AM
test123

Originally Posted by Bigsapz
How about the fact they sold me me 05 A/T wit 28K on it for $18,270 this past july? That count as a good reason? I mean Im sure people have gotten better deals but this was pretty good I think. Dealer had it on the lot for 4 months. I got it the day before it was going to be auctioned off. NOONE he said wanted an A/T Z. So I figured WTH Ill buy it.
Yep, exactly why I was asking. Auto are on the lots for a while, dealers are practically giving them away. For the right price, I could deal with it.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:44 AM
nothix

my A/T was actually harder to find then the M/T
I should have taken the hint...
Old 02-21-2008, 11:53 AM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by test123
Yep, exactly why I was asking. Auto are on the lots for a while, dealers are practically giving them away. For the right price, I could deal with it.
That's the wrong way of buying a car. You get the car you want. You don't just jump on a car because it's auto and cheaper. It might be more costly down the road. There are a lot of people on this forum who regret getting an auto. One guy actually paid over 10k just to swap out his tranny and convert it to manual. Even when you trade in the car, you will lose money regardless. If you wanted a manual but found a cheap auto, i would say keep looking. Don't rush when buying cars.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:01 PM
dhwang80

absolutely do not regret getting the auto.

i moved up from an srt-4. i wanted to get out of the boy racer and into the more "luxurious sport" crowd. a car that will look right at a ballroom event with valets and fit in even at a "ricer" hangout. something that is admired by both boy racers and rich old doctors/lawyers driving bimmers.

if i was trying to mod for performance, i would probably regret it. But my motives are for cruising and comfort. As a daily driver, the auto ZR was perfect for me.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:06 PM
ressling

I have an auto and frankly don't mind it considering my Z is my DD in Atlanta traffic . I think the 5AT from a performance standpoint is right on target, and unless you are an expert driver, you'll see minimal difference. However, that being said, I would love to be shifting once I have a straightaway. Ohh if only traffic did not exist...

Coincidentally though my Z is for sale due to a family situation and I definitely have it listed much lower than most Z's.

The argument could go both ways. I'm sure there's someone out there that is only looking for 5AT because they're DD a 6MT in heavy traffic at least an hour a day and are ready to shoot their foot off.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:06 PM
nismo*son

i have an 07 5at i regret it, but im making the most out of it, still pretty fun with the auto stick.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:07 PM
t-350z

its worth getting the manual. the end.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:27 PM
Datapimp

350Zs come with autos? Blasphemy!!!
Old 02-21-2008, 12:35 PM
zipgun

Thumbs down

This must be the 1,000,000,000th AT/MT BS thread.

Mods give us a break and lock this nonsense asap!
Old 02-21-2008, 12:45 PM
Z MANIA
psychedelic one

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 02-21-2008, 12:57 PM
jcleary47

I love my Automatic, because I know it will shift perfectly, every single time. I also enjoy the fact I am free to do other things if I need to without worrying about shifting. The only time I know I would probably enjoy having a MT is when I take road trips up the coast on the back roads, but I probably won't even think twice about it because I'll just be enjoying the drive.

Once again, don't listen to any elitist punks that knock on you for getting an auto. They are the ones with the problem, not you.

Quick Reply: Those with Auto Trannys