Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Having Trouble With Manual...

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 02:36 PM
VQpoweredZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Having Trouble With Manual...

Hey guys,

I just purchased a 2006 Base 6MT 350z. I went out with a driving instructor today (since no one else in my family besides my brother knows manual, and he is away at college). I started off horrible, it was very hard for me to coordinate the gas with the clutch (my main problem was releasing the clutch slow enough, while adding little gas). This is my first manual car, and I am having all sorts of problems. Did you guys have these problems when you first started out? All I want to do is practice but its hard enough to get out of my driveway because the instuctor wasnt the best, and we were working on starting in first, and not on reverse.

So now I am waiting untill my brother comes home this weekend to help get me to learn on this car.

I know you guys get TONS of these threads, I was just wondering if any of you could forget that and try and help me with any tips that you could give me. Anything would help. Anything would be appreciated.

At the end of my 2 hour instuction, I was able to start the car w/o gas, with some gas going downhill and on a flat surface, I was getting everything pretty smooth

I am just very scared/nevous that I will never master this car and I will have to sell something I love and want so much becasue I simply cannot learn this.

Do you guys think I can get this manual driving down?
Old 02-24-2008, 02:38 PM
scmtkings4

practice makes perfect
Old 02-24-2008, 02:41 PM
jcleary47

You will be fine. Like with everything else in life, the more you do something, the better you will get at it. Just keep at it, don't give up, and everything will work out great.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:48 PM
aggietsi

This is why my dad insisted that I learn to drive on a stick. Easier to learn when you're 15.

You'll get it. Just takes some practice. It becomes second nature.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:53 PM
Adrians350Z

I guess the best advice to give when starting out driving a manual car is to be smooth and gentle with the pedals. If you are too heavy with either then you will just end up bouncing down the road.

When you are starting in first apply the throttle gently with the clutch in until you build up the revs a little. Slowly lift your foot off the cluth and you will see the revs start to drop slightly as the clutch catches. Once the revs start to drop put a bit more pressure on the throttle and keep slowly lifting off the clutch. You should be moving by now so it's just a matter of keeping pressure on the throttle whilst lifting off the clutch.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:25 PM
VQpoweredZ

I am actually 17 years old. I posted this in my other thread in the new owners section, as I know once I mention my age, there will be a bunch of useless posts, posted here about how I shouldn't be driving it and that don't deserve the car. Thanks for all the help. Keep it coming.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:38 PM
Dirty_Z

I think its easy for a beginner to be a little heavy with the accelerator when coming off of a dead stop. I can start in first from a very low RPM value, as long as your not idling you should be able to let off the clutch and get rolling. Easier said that done, but just be sure to lighten up on the gas and concentrate on being smooth with the clutch. Don't get discouraged, the more you drive your car the better off you will be.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:39 PM
perezm101

if you drive it everyday, in a week you will have it down to where u can do it blindfolded, trust me.
it takes time for your body to get down the timing and muscle memory of driving stick. Once you have it down you're golden.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:43 PM
VQpoweredZ

Thanks guys. This is what I have been doing, getting the car moving without the clutch going downhill/on flat ground. This works fairly well, but my teacher said people behind you might get pissed off cuz your going so slow. But as for the hills, that cannot be done and thats where my giving gas, is a problem. I get up the hill i cant assure you but its with a small burnout, I need to learn how to give it the right amount of gas. I dont know about that, thats attempted after I get down the basics.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:43 PM
SoldzMyZ

practice practice practice. It took me like 3 months to where my car no longer dies in traffice. After about a week the learning curve starts to become lower and you become adequate at it. Its second nature to me now and 10x more fun driving aggressively in the manual than auto. Plus you look cooler with the chicks!
Old 02-24-2008, 03:46 PM
surfcity40

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VQpoweredZ
I was getting everything pretty smooth
schweet. It will take a bit of practice.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:50 PM
Art Vandaleigh

When i learned manual, it was all about finding the engagement point with the clutch on starts. I literally spent an hour a day for about a week in a large parking lot (look for an industrial park that is vacant) and just practiced my stop and go's. When you get comfortable with the take-offs, everything else will come easy. I also found a warehouse with a incline used for semi trucks, here i practiced how to hold hills and use the ebrake, if needed. Like others have said, the more you drive/practice, the faster you will become smooth.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:52 PM
VQpoweredZ

I was surprised how smooth I was making it at the end. I am still very concerned with backing out of the driveway, inching foreward, and letting the car roll to far backwards. I will be practicing for about 4 hours everyday for the 12 days my brother will be home for spring break. Do you guys think if i really put my mind to it, I will be able to be proficient to drive on my own around neighborhoods and things when he goes back to college?
Old 02-24-2008, 03:53 PM
kenpo_350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everyone goes through it. If someone tells you they have never killed a car, they are probably lying. Just be light on the pedals and it should smooth out. It just takes some practice but you will get it down.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:16 PM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been driving stick for 25 years and I had problems with the Z. I killed it on the test-drive.

You'll get it.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:17 PM
SoldzMyZ

On my first work day, I didn't take the Z but when I returned home at night, I remember pulling it out of the garage and cruising and practicing around the neighborhood at night. Samething for the next few nights but instead I'd take it to work in Hollywood and at night practice the hills. Ahh I remember those days, I still love my Z though.

Final advice/tip, shorten your clutch via adjusting the screw (there is a writeup/guide on here). Once I shortened the engagement point, I could shift much faster and easier since stock, it was super long!
Old 02-24-2008, 04:29 PM
Kegsbane

Originally Posted by VQpoweredZ
I am just very scared/nevous that I will never master this car and I will have to sell something I love and want so much becasue I simply cannot learn this.

Do you guys think I can get this manual driving down?
I halfway thought this at first, too, but within a month I had it pretty good.

Of course, I'm pretty sweet, so...
Old 02-24-2008, 04:43 PM
pHiLDeZnUtZz

i've have driven a good number of manual transmission cars and I can tell you that the Z is the hardest to get down on the first time. The engagement point is really high to anything else i've ever been in.

just let out the clutch to the point where you start to feel it grab and add enough gas where u can stay around 1800 rpm. if you feel the car is jerking or dying just push the clutch back in and try again. It will take awhile considering this is also your first time driving stick. Good Luck.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:47 PM
DracoLancet04Z

Best thing you can do is practice, sounds like ur picking it up pretty well though, practice does make perfect though
Old 02-24-2008, 04:51 PM
SiNzz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aggietsi
This is why my dad insisted that I learn to drive on a stick. Easier to learn when you're 15.

You'll get it. Just takes some practice. It becomes second nature.
Oh yeah, I hear you on that one. Except it was my mom who started teaching me on abandoned roads when I was 14. I still remember the first time trying to make the car move. Took me forever to figure out the "balancing".

To the OP: Just keep at it, everyone has trouble at first. Once you get it, you'll be happy you bothered to learn.

Quick Reply: Having Trouble With Manual...