Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

UPDATE: Being a manual NOOB DOESNT suck...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2003, 02:29 PM
synth19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UPDATE: Being a manual NOOB DOESNT suck...

ha.... First week I had the Z, I hated it.... couldnt drive stick for ****.... and the frowns for learning stick on the Z..... Well, I'm about to hit 1200 miles (1197 to be exact), and I'm lovin the Z! How are the rest of you manual noobs holding up? Stick has become second nature now, I dont know if I just picked up quickly, but I havent stalled or fcked up since my first week........ but I did stall at least 15 times on the first day! heheh Anyways, this car is awesome.....this is the first time I have owned a car and look forward to just driving it..... I should be posting pics of my new Katzkin orange seats sooon
Old 06-27-2003, 03:15 PM
300ZX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is the clutch stiff on the Z? first time i learned stick, i didnt stall at all and only had 2 times where i over-revved and chirped the tires. then again, this was on my uncle's NSX, and that clutch is like a feather.
Old 06-27-2003, 03:21 PM
synth19

Not that I'm an expert at all, I had a total of 45 minutes of stick training before I got my Z, first 15minutes one day was with a 98 Supra (heavily modded- about 600hp). My friend *tried* to teach me on it "If you can learn on this, you can learn on anything" ha... well, I didnt learn on it, the clutch was SO damn heavy...... upgraded clutches are a def no to noobs. Next car I learned on was an S2k. Jesus, talk about the lightest clutch ever, It gave me alot of confidence! The Z is about in the middle, not too stiff, yet, no too soft.... from a 6MT noob
Old 06-27-2003, 04:51 PM
"Z"

is this your first car? Then you're one lucky dog because you have a $34k car.
Old 06-28-2003, 04:06 PM
john0213

actually it's kinda in the stiff way(the clutch i mean) it is stiffer than average clutch and that gives the noob a hard time. i learn manuel on my z too and it's been 4 months now, real smooth here~!!
Old 06-28-2003, 06:39 PM
orhanz33

i'm almost at 2,000, had it for almost 2 months...first couple weeks was crazy (i was scared to drive!)...i love it now though...i'm not the greatest yet, but I'm gettin better everyday....but sometimes I hear sounds comin from the car that make me wonder if i f*ked somethin up while learning...
Old 06-29-2003, 07:02 AM
jleighZ

I'm doing a lot better, although still haven't had a chance to practice from stops on hills. Pretty terrified of that right now still
The clutch is still pretty stiff and the car is starting to idle really rough and if kind of freaks me out.
Old 06-29-2003, 10:58 AM
erock

Good to hear that you're getting the hang of it synth....

I'm not a n00b to manuals, but it DID take me some time to get used to the Z, as a matter of fact, I still get a 'jerky' shift into first now and then......
Old 06-29-2003, 07:15 PM
synth19

how long have you had your Z? Stops on hills arent bad once you really get the "catching point" down with the clutch.......but practice on some empty hill first..

Originally posted by jleighZ
I'm doing a lot better, although still haven't had a chance to practice from stops on hills. Pretty terrified of that right now still
The clutch is still pretty stiff and the car is starting to idle really rough and if kind of freaks me out.
Old 06-30-2003, 06:46 AM
fanatic6711

I'm a noob when it comes to manuals, but drove a Turbo T-Bird and a Toyota Corola with no problem. The clutch is def pretty heavy compared to those. I think going from Neutral to 1st there's a dead spot and if you're not paying attention, you'll stall np. That's the only thing I don't like about the car and driving stick.

I don't think the Z is a car you can just jump into and drive. Some of my friends jumped in and tried to drive it hit the same dead spot I do. Get's kind of annoying.

Almost 700 miles and getting better everyday!

So glad I got standard over automatic!
Old 06-30-2003, 05:14 PM
Jumpman--Z

I learned stick on my Z, too. I must have stalled 50 times the first two nights I've had it about seven 1/2 months now, and I've gotten fairly decent at it. I almost never stall now, except sometimes, like when I'm in mud, and forget to give the car enough gas, or on a hill and I have to stop for a second and forget to shift back down when traffic starts going. And I still can't do a decent launch yet, but I'll get there. I want to try driving something else with a manual tranny, to see the difference. Funny thing is, now I feel uncomfortable when I'm driving something with an auto tranny. I've found myself getting it auto cars and reaching for the clutch pedal, lol.
Old 06-30-2003, 06:55 PM
Ranger

I'm doing a lot better at about 3200 miles and 2 months of driving. I'm still not happy with the way I shift in first and second, I just can't seem to get the timing down correctly. Also, I'm not entirely sure my transmission doesn't need service though as well. I wasn't a complete n00b but I taught myself the first time around and I sucked at it. I'm just hoping I get better at it. The clutch really bugs me at times with how stiff it is though too.
Old 06-30-2003, 09:11 PM
evicid

I know exactly what you mean about first and second. First caused me many problems the first 2 days I had the car. When I bought it, I stalled driving off the lot, and trying to take a jughandle. So I saw an open parking lot, and spent the next hour figuring our first gear and getting comfortable with the car.

Luckily after a couple days I stopped stalling almost completely, but was still giving any passengers whiplash from all of the jerky motion. I finally figured out that I needed to be a little slower letting out the clutch in 1st and 2nd.

I've only had it for about 2 weeks now, so I'm still not as smooth as I could be sometimes. Once I get a little better, I'll start trying to figure out how to get a decent launch. I hate having to start real slow in 1st.

Good luck to all of the other 6MT Noobs.
Old 06-30-2003, 09:50 PM
kamikaZ
3FIFTYZ

evicid ur situation sounds exactly like mine, i just my z on the 17th and i learned on it but picked it up quick and am confident now as far as hills and everything..only problems r i ususally am pretty damn slow off the line, i can launch quickly but i have no in between. Other than that some times i drop the clutch 2 quick goin from 1st to 2nd and it jerks. Ill smooth it all out with time.
Old 07-01-2003, 04:56 AM
zeroday

Originally posted by "Z"
is this your first car? Then you're one lucky dog because you have a $34k car.
he used to have an auto acura CL type S....and his car is actually a 37k$ car