Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

RPM Shift

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 06:08 AM
AustinTX_350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Vicarious
Austin - im probably going to go to the dealer in about 2 weeks because thats the only time i can spare not having a car in case that they have to keep it for awhile..hopefully brucela will find out what the problem is on friday and if its a big deal.

oh yeah, today i drove the Z and i think there is a connection between the smoothness of changing from 1st - 2nd gear because i tried to be as smooth as i could today from changing gear and it did not make that much noise at all...oh yeah, do u sometimes FEEL the clunk in the shift **** when it makes the clunk in going from 1st to 2nd?
Yeah - if you let off the clutch more slowly, it won't be as loud. I do feel the clunk when I shift into 2nd if I let go of the clutch too quickly, just as well as if I'm at a stop light and am on 1st. Yeah, I can feel the "clank" in the shifter. It sometimes does it when I shift into 3rd as well. Feels like it's trying to fall in place, hesitates, and then goes right in - not the smoothest either.

I just got to campus - I drove down with a 300ZX this morning - kind of followed each other. Does the old 300ZX sit lower to the gound, anyone??

Peace!
Old 07-16-2003, 06:39 AM
bixby

Originally posted by hk350
i got this 1 problem i get. (well only happened 2 me once)
but when i was pushin my car. racing a wrx( a friend of mine).
i shift around 5000rpm. after hitting 5th gear. i stopped and slowed. down. and i smelled something burning. i 'm thinking its my clutch.
is it tat i'm letting the clutch out 2 fast? or am i ridding the clutch?
plz help. i'm very worried tat i burnt my clutch.
Absolutely riding it.
Old 07-16-2003, 06:51 AM
bixby

Hmmm..... I don't really pay attention to the tach (just listen to the engine) but I think I'm somewhere between 3500 & 4k for normal driving. I've got the rev set at 6k so I notice the light when I'm pushing it but I'm usually in process when it comes on. It's very smooth in all gears. The only time I break traction is when I'm trying to.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:29 AM
Blue Liquid

Whats all this talk about rev-matching during upshifts? Rev-matching is done when downshifting. Always let off the gas when upshifting. Actually, it does rev-match when you let off the gas, it has to match a lower rpm in stead of a higher one.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:42 AM
mdelia

You beat me too it Blue_Liquid... I must say I'm a bit confused about this rev-matching during upshifts as well.

Seems almost counterproductive
Old 07-16-2003, 07:59 AM
Riceboy369

Default rev matching

Well basically rev-matching is almost the same doing up or down shifting. Its to make the ride smoother and not get that jerk. What i do when i rev-match shifting up (which is basically every single gear), I : Clutch in, shift up, tap the gas a lil bit while letting clutch off semi-slowly. Your trying to get it in the RPM area where you can let go your clutch and not feel any jerk. If you rev too much (say up to 3000 RPM) and let go of clutch, you'll feel the jerk. If you dont rev up (and the RPM is at 1500), you'll feel the jerk when you let off the clutch. I usually try to get it around 2000-2200. Of course if you normally shift at 3k-3.5k, and can shift fast enough, then the "rev-matching" isnt necessary =)

- Just what i think =)
Old 07-16-2003, 08:04 AM
Blue Liquid

I see what you're saying Riceboy. However, I've never needed to rev-match during upshifts, and when I shift it is smooth as can be, no jerking or anything. It sounds like you're shifting too slowly, thus needing to blip the gas on your upshifts.
Old 07-16-2003, 09:43 AM
bixby

Originally posted by Blue Liquid
I see what you're saying Riceboy. However, I've never needed to rev-match during upshifts, and when I shift it is smooth as can be, no jerking or anything. It sounds like you're shifting too slowly, thus needing to blip the gas on your upshifts.
I agree! It should be an almost simultaious motion & a medium to medium high speed clutch release. Of course I have no way to gauge the speed of the release since it's so automatic from driving a clutch for so long. What's medium for me may be slow, or fast, for others. This "blip" of the gas thing sounds like added clutch wear to me though. JMHO...

Last edited by bixby; 07-16-2003 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-16-2003, 10:54 AM
Buub

Three points:

1) I believe the reason we all have problems being smooth with the 1-2 shift is because our cars have a much firmer clutch than something like your average Honda. I believe it's just a fact of life that this is not a "finesse" clutch, but is made for serious driving, so that 1-2 will never be totally smooth.

2) I have no "clunks" or "clanks" in my shifter/clutch, so that may affect your driving even further. But even with that said, my 1-2 aren't always silky smooth anyway.

3) There is such a thing as rev-matching for upshifts, and I have used it for years. If you let the RPMs drop to idle, they are too low to "match," and will give a little tug as you let the clutch out.

Basically, I give a very small smooth throttle blip as I'm letting the clutch out on a downshift, and I can usually make the shift very smooth because of this. As I said above, it actually was almost perfect on my old Honda, but even with this Ruffer Tuffer clutch on the Z I still do OK on everything above 1-2.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:12 AM
Blue Liquid

Originally posted by Blue Liquid
It sounds like you're shifting too slowly, thus needing to blip the gas on your upshifts.
To quote myself, as per your point #3.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:21 AM
Buub

In racing you should never be coasting. But in day-to-day driving coasting happens quite often. So yeah, there are times when there is a long period between out-of-gear and then into the next gear.
Old 07-16-2003, 12:09 PM
AustinTX_350Z

I do both - rev match and just shifting into gear by simultaneously releasing one and pushing the other. They both work for me. As far as downshifting - let's say I'm in 6th going 70 mph, but I need to exit the highway, so I let go of the gas and speed starts dropping. When I hit 60 or so, I press the clutch down, throw it into 5th, release the clutch as I give it a bit of gas. Bad?

As I've mentioned, this is my first stick shift car to own, and yeah - it's hard to get those jolts out if you're starting up at a stop light behind cars ...

That "clank" though, comes from whenever I shift slowly. So - maybe it's normal?? I'd like to think not ...

Here's another question you guys can help me with, please: If you're in first gear ... in stop and go traffic ... is it okay to leave the clutch down if you're rolling but not giving it any gas ... that being, the RPMs are below 1000? So, you release the clutch about halfway and give it some gas to get going again ... is that bad for the clutch/engine/tranny?

My buddy told me, he's been driving stick shift all his life, that I was letting go of the clutch too quickly on 1st and 2nd ... he told me to hold it in longer and slowly release it while you press the accelerator.

I sometimes think that I'm not getting my shifts right and I'm doing permanent damage to my car. I don't "ride the clutch", except if I need to in 1st.

Anyone in Austin??

Peace!