Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

2003 Z gone bad...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 08:00 PM
blue20051

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Z gone bad...

To make story short. i bought the car with the SES light on. It ran fine for about 2-3 weeks and all of a sudden it started to drive funny. I went to autozone this past saturday to see what codes my car was throwing. Heres what i got. SIX CODES!! P1276 P1168 P1148 P0138 P1286 P0158, WOW That is alot for me. The car will drive fine for about five minutes and then it will start to lag(bog or buck). In other words, lose performance. Ive looked up the codes and most of them i believe are senor problems or a short circuit somewhere.

I guess in a way the car didnt go bad, it probally had problems before but it got worst with me as being its new owner. I am thinking about selling the car and stay a way for a while. BUT i really love the Z. I want to fix it up but am worried that there may be newer problems in the future. If you guys were in my shoes, what would you do?

Thanks for any help/suggestions
Old 08-18-2008, 08:07 PM
HDPDZO6

What was your reason for buying the car with the CEL on? Did the previous owner disclose the problems when you asked him?
Old 08-18-2008, 08:18 PM
blue20051

The reason was price. "I got what i paid i paid for". I was told it was the O2 sensors, which i replaced last week.

Now, i should have had the CEL checked right when i got the car but i didnt, so that was my mistake.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:20 PM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by blue20051
The reason was price. "I got what i paid i paid for". I was told it was the O2 sensors, which i replaced last week.

Now, i should have had the CEL checked right when i got the car but i didnt, so that was my mistake.
yeah, your only choice now is use that extra money you saved and fix the car.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:33 PM
jwillard0201

To make story short. i bought the car with the SES light on. It ran fine for about 2-3 weeks and all of a sudden it started to drive funny. I went to autozone this past saturday to see what codes my car was throwing. Heres what i got. SIX CODES!! P1276 P1168 P1148 P0138 P1286 P0158, WOW That is alot for me. The car will drive fine for about five minutes and then it will start to lag(bog or buck). In other words, lose performance. Ive looked up the codes and most of them i believe are senor problems or a short circuit somewhere.

I guess in a way the car didnt go bad, it probally had problems before but it got worst with me as being its new owner. I am thinking about selling the car and stay a way for a while. BUT i really love the Z. I want to fix it up but am worried that there may be newer problems in the future. If you guys were in my shoes, what would you do?

If I were in your shoes I would slap myself. If the CEL was on and you drove it around for two weeks without doing anything, you basically asked for where you are. Sell it to someone who is going to take care of it.

Nevermind...I didnt refresh before I posted.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:54 AM
Scipher21

Originally Posted by jwillard0201
If I were in your shoes I would slap myself. If the CEL was on and you drove it around for two weeks without doing anything, you basically asked for where you are. Sell it to someone who is going to take care of it.

Nevermind...I didnt refresh before I posted.
Oh yeah well.... I dont change my oil!!!!
theres nothing wrong with that though, right?
Old 08-19-2008, 06:53 AM
track1z

Out of all those codes one sensor could cause all those codes to come on.This is what I see here.Your O2 sensors are saying the fuel mixture is OFF.This could be a range of things before the O2's could be bad,i've even known new O2 sensors not to work in the range they are suppose to from autopart stores(test them).A injector could be dirty.I think P1286 is setting the other codes off.This should be a easy fix if you know what your doing.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:02 AM
WTX350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to fix it up but am worried that there may be newer problems in the future. If you guys were in my shoes, what would you do?

There will be problems in the future. Maintenance must be performed or the problems will be larger than need be. But with anything mechanical, things are going to wear out.

I'd slap a few O2 sensors in the thing, reset the ECU, see if the codes go away...Might run a can of BG 44k through it, it seems (from my experiences) to be a good fuel system cleaner. and see where you are.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:06 AM
YOGURT!

SELL IT.. that seems like a lemony fresh Z you got there
Old 08-19-2008, 08:33 AM
ZForce1
You're done son

Sounds like a de-modification pork package

Have you reflashed the ECU? If that doesn't work then off for reprogramming?

Good luck
Old 08-19-2008, 08:40 AM
Z_Nick_Z

fix the car, new problems shouldnt come up
Old 08-19-2008, 08:59 AM
HondaKiller
Banned

i would check the sensors in your cats and the bung on the headers. Sounds like a bolted up Z that got put back to stock. If they banged the o2s around at all, or removed them from the exhaust improperly you could have more than 1 damaged sensor. Honestly though, all those codes would get thrown over 1 bad o2 sensor. I would suggest reseting the ECU and AS SOON as the light comes back on get the code pulled, dont drive around for hundreds of miles. Try to get it when it first comes up so your not flooded with bogus codes getting thrown as result of the actual problem.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:16 AM
chromesilverz

You hit the jackpot with the codes. You are probably screwed. There was a reason he tried to unload it with the CEL.

Resetting the ECU is not going to help you in all likelihood for the previous owner probably did that right before he sold it to you.

6 codes does not mean 6 different problems. One problem can throw multiple codes.

Start with changing out the oxygen sensor and reset it ECU and see how many codes disappear.

Fix it soon or get rid of it because it's not going to go away on it's own and can cause further problems.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:03 AM
lgear080

Out of curiosity - Did you check the Nissan service records (w/ the VIN)
prior to purchase? This is not always effective, but can establish a history
of past failures if the last owner was attempting to service under warranty.

???
Old 08-19-2008, 10:10 AM
blue20051

I just checked the SES and got only TWO codes this time.(both were the same)

U1000- CAN (Control Area Network) comunication error code.

Is there a problem with my ECU? Does it need to be reflash? To be honest, the car was running fine when i bought it. BUT, i had a friend install a CD player and to think about, the car started to have problems after the CD player. I just took it out and what do you know, some of the wires were exposed!!. Could this have shorted my ECU?

Thanks for helping me out guys.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:11 AM
blue20051

Originally Posted by lgear080
Out of curiosity - Did you check the Nissan service records (w/ the VIN)
prior to purchase? This is not always effective, but can establish a history
of past failures if the last owner was attempting to service under warranty.

???
I did a carfax and nothing showed up. However i am the third owner.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:49 AM
chromesilverz

Carfax won't ever tell you anything.

I've had two wrecks in my car and neither one shows up in carfax or the other services similar to carfax.

You can reset the ECU and everything will seem fine for a few starts but the problem is still there and the SES klight will come back if there is a real problem.

Last edited by chromesilverz; 08-19-2008 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:56 AM
VandyZ

I just checked the SES and got only TWO codes this time.(both were the same)

U1000- CAN (Control Area Network) comunication error code.

Is there a problem with my ECU? Does it need to be reflash? To be honest, the car was running fine when i bought it. BUT, i had a friend install a CD player and to think about, the car started to have problems after the CD player. I just took it out and what do you know, some of the wires were exposed!!. Could this have shorted my ECU?

Thanks for helping me out guys.

Sounds like ECU or BCM (body control module) or wiring issues. If its either of the first two, you are looking at a visit to your local nissan dealership. While you can buy the parts used/salvaged, there is some Consult-II work that can only be done at a dealer or someone with the Consult-II and ecu reprogramming cards. Good luck! CAN problems are a PITA. I would first check the connections with the BCM and the AC Amp box. The BCM is below the fuse panel under the drivers side kick plate. The AC Amp box (white) is under the radio/AC controls just infront of shifter.

Last edited by VandyZ; 08-20-2008 at 06:00 AM.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:08 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

This thread is exhibit 1 to why it is important to have a used car checked out by mechanic before writing a check.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:25 AM
RN7676

i had a friend install a CD player and to think about, the car started to have problems after the CD player. I just took it out and what do you know, some of the wires were exposed!!. Could this have shorted my ECU?
Originally Posted by The Brickyard Rat
This thread is exhibit 1 to why it is important to have a used car checked out by mechanic before writing a check.
Can I submit that CD player quote as exhibit 2?

It is also important to carefully consider buying a car with any non-standard electronics in it and you should also carefully consider your install quality if you are going to put something in yourself!

No installation of anything should ever have wires exposed, ever ever ever. It is unlikely that a stereo installation would affect the ECU .... BUT, if the installer was sloppy enough to leave any wires exposed, he was also potentially dumb enough to cut into ECU wiring for stereo power or ignition signal, which could screw up all kinds of things.

For starters, it sounds like the CD installation needs to be fixed.

Quick Reply: 2003 Z gone bad...